Author Topic: Having dark hair, jet black hair - help! lol - I have a perpetual shadow!  (Read 16965 times)

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
  • R O C K in the USA rockin in the USA
Sly Brothers I know this issue has been raised before but being Sly for me is having a constant shadow - its evident of my MPB, anyone can see it.  I actually hope my hair turns grey and my MPB actually increases to the point that I can be Sly without a shadow where you can see my hair line and see my bald spot, which is the case right now despite the fact that I shave my dome every day.  Guys I would appreciate your points of view about having a shadow it really bothers me and to tell you the truth obviously when my hair is grown out I do not have to battle the shadow.  I wish I can truly be sly with no shadow. Guys tell me what you think.

Fred

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: Having dark hair, jet black hair - help! lol - I have a perpetual shadow!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:48 AM »
I see some Sly here go so far as to have hair lasered off the head.  That seems extreme.

The general consensus is that if you've got dark hair, shadow is part of the package, and it appears no one has an effective (makeup?  I think not!) solution, save age and the possibility that the hair will go gray to white.  That's my case, and since my hair was always on the fine side, I am effectively "shadowless."  Yes, "shadow" is not as aesthetic as a uniformly even dome, but that's life (or, it's MPB at least).

I see from time to time shaven-headed guys who seem to wear a hat all the time, and thus one can't tell if they have horseshoe shadow or are just more generously-haired BBC, but most of them are MPB "shadowmen" if you catch them with the hat off or slightly askew.  My own view, is, if you are Sly, the "hat trick" is something to avoid.  A hat as needed for weather or sun, but not as a disguise.  "If you don't got it, flaunt it," I say.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
Are you Italian? Based on your avatar picture (beard shadow and the fur coming up out of your shirt [woof]), it looks like your Sly shadow is there to stay for a while. I had the same situation early in my Sly years, but as I age...most of my pepper is turning to salt. My sly shadow is diminishing as well. Just be patient and your shadow should start to go away.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
Shadow, it's one of the main issues for mpb guys.  I was hypersensitive about it for the first couple of months.  But, over time, I realized that it really didn't matter.  How did I get there, well, I saw a lot of mpb guys with their Bozo Rings grown out.  They looked older, tired and somehow not as clean and neat as a guy should.  The shadow on the other hand, obviously shaved daily is reflective of a lot of self respect, refusal to wear the grey or brown curtain.  Face it Bozo Rings and combovers just don't work and talk about reminding everyone that you're in the middle of mpb!!!.  So here I am over two years down the Sly Road and I don't mind mine at all.  You will get used to it.  
Other things to focus on, getting into and staying in good physical shape.  You can also try a little facial hair as a balance for your face--plus it's a fun thing to do.
The shadow, well it's there but minimized by a daily shave--and that's where I'm headed now.  
BTW, you do have a nicely shaped, good looking dome.  

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »
My hair is not dark, sort of a lighter brown after being very re in my younger years. Sometime I go a day or three without shaving and when I do  I enjoy the comments I get on the light horse shoe. It is a prt of who I am.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
My shadow is not so intense because I have medium brown hair but the hair line & bald spot can be seen quite well, though less than when I started to shave.
To me the shadow is just there as is my nose or whatever part of my body.

I think being sly is not about hiding MPB (like for you it is often even more revealing) but about discovering your personal style and enjoying it no matter what others think. A shaved head is sending out a strong signal of self confidence. I am generally not so confident about myself but after the first shave I knew that I found my style without any doubt and that hasn't changed.

And remember, when we check our appearance in bright light using double mirror technology we tend to search for the imperfect details (and find something of course) but when we see someone else it is more the overall impression we notice rather than the details. It's a matter of perspective.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:45:36 PM by SlyOne »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:39:04 AM »
i think it depends and how you shave your head too. I have dark brown hair but when I'm shaven i have no shadow. just massage the cream or gel into your scalp and take your time, should help minimize shadow
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
I kinda like the shadow on the sides. Not on top though. When I look in the mirror thats what I see so I'M satisfied.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
Have you tried to wax it? The instructor at my gym had a smooth dome and i knew he was bald because of the bit of shadow he had when he grew his hair a bit but next day he was completly bald again,no shadow.

He eitheir has a magic razor or he waxes it off...or is there any other reason for that? (considered the difficulties i´ve read in here about wipping the shadow)

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:51:24 PM »
thanks Baldbear its nice that you are able to relate to me.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
Are you Italian? Based on your avatar picture (beard shadow and the fur coming up out of your shirt [woof]), it looks like your Sly shadow is there to stay for a while. I had the same situation early in my Sly years, but as I age...most of my pepper is turning to salt. My sly shadow is diminishing as well. Just be patient and your shadow should start to go away.

Something I'm looking forward to as well...
MikeC

Offline namratasnv

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:49 AM »
i think it depends and how you shave your head too. I have dark brown hair but when I'm shaven i have no shadow. just massage the cream or gel into your scalp and take your time, should help minimize shadow

Hi,

I think you suggested right and it can be done like this so that there will not be any problem you have to face, it is better if you apply some gel onto your scalp that will be beneficial for you.

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:26:52 PM by wpruitt »

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
My hair is grey - -so when it goes a couple days (not very often) I get the "horse-shoe " in the back  - - -Everyday shave -  I am clear  - -

-NO  horse-shoe for me - - -I hate the horse-shoe   - -I don't feel clean  unless  I shave completely  - -

-I think  - if you do a close shave  - and take your time -  the shadow will be real light  - -or non existent

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
I am happy to report that the shadow is not as noticable now.  The reason is that when I first shaved my hair which is black I had very very pale skin underneath and now that that area is tanned it lessons the contrast between my skin and my hair color.  I am going a little gray so I think the shadow will also be less noticable when I am very gray.

Offline bartman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »
The tan helps a lot. Hair grows during the day and not at night. (at least this is my experience and we have all heard the term 4 o'clock afternoon shadow). I work from home so I don't have to shave first thing in the morning. So I wait until the afternoon, that way when I am off of work and go out, no shadow, no shadow in the morning. So my advise (all the others require you wait until you grey or lose more hair) is wait as long as you can before you shave, or until you have to go out into public. If you have to head into a work building at 6am, then this obviously will not work unless you shave your head at work (which is what I would do if I had to go into the office).

If you have a shadow right after you shave then getting a better tan is the only way to lower the contrast between your skin and dark hair.