Author Topic: Tough Guy Reaction  (Read 43834 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Tough Guy Reaction
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:53:50 AM »
At the time I decided to shave my head, I also decided to grow a goatee.  Since then, I have had a lot of people think that I'm trying to be a tough guy.  I never got this reaction prior to going bald.

I am a fairly big guy, 5'11", 215 pounds so I can see how they might get this impression.  Though, there are times when I'm places that this can be a hazzard.  I've had a couple of guys at bars try to start fights with me purely because they thought I was a "tough guy."

Has anyone else had this type of reaction?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline andy

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Tough Guy Reaction
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »
I've had a lot of people say I suddenly look much more "thuggish" than I did before.  In fact, I don't think I'd *ever* been called "thuggish looking" until I shaved my noodle.  Not that I mind :-) ... and where I live, it's not really an issue with guys trying to start sh*t just because I happen to be bald.  Maybe I don't mean-mug people as much as Tyler does ;-)

Offline junior

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:11:44 AM »
people do look tougher bald

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
I just started growing a goatee recently and i changed my outfits i wear jeans and cowboy boots, instead of shorts and birkenstocks and my friends say that i look a lot meaner and that i should keep the outfits and the goatee and the shaved head

gearhedguy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »
I often get the "you look like an ex-con" comment. Makes me chuckle cuz I'm a big ol' softy teddy bear at heart.

Offline Baldego

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:16:27 PM »
I have had some people say i look mean because of the head and the goatee.... until i smile, but i  also have had bouts with others too, thinking i am a tough guy , but I am a Lover not a fighter lol.....

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:15:20 AM »
I've had my goatee since senior year of high school. Since I started to shave my head, people have said I look more intimidating. That doesn't bother me at all, in fact it should come in handy when my daughter starts dating. I stand about 6'2" and weigh about 200-205 lbs. My dad always makes the comment that I look like Stone Cold Steve Austin. I'll take it...
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Pyronius

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »
I got the "You look like a bad ass now"

I used to have big beard straps before I started shaving my head but they didnt really work with the shaved head so I went down to the goti..

I dont really do it for the tough guy look, I just like the look myself...however if it provides a small intimidation factor that keeps people from messing with ya, then wuwu... however as we know it can attract unwanted attention as well.

Offline Apollo5

• currently currently
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »
I spent a few years in the Army. Lots of shaved heads near a military post. No much of a reaction. I remember when I first shaved my head when I was in college. I got a reaction. People get out of your way. I've never been called a nazi or anything like that. I don't notice much reaction anymore. I guess I still look army.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 06:27:17 PM »
The First time I had my hair cut really short was when I joined the military (this was when I was just 18yrs old). My friends thought I was a skinhead when I returned home for a visit ! My hair at that point was about 2mm long.

Just recently, I had my head shaved completely bald and the reactions were similar to when I first joined the military. Some people, like my son, think it is REAL Cool ! Others on the other hand, are not too sure about this choice, my parents especially. My wife has now gotten used to me being bald by choice and enjoys the feel. My friends and colleagues now say that they wouldn't recognize me with hair.

I believe that the masculine "hair style" should be the BBC (Bald By Choice) style, & I believe that more & more men are opting for this look (certainly in the area where I live).

Quote: "The Few. The Brave. The Proud. The Bald !"
BaldBill

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
Apollo5 and Bilko1, I like the stories!  Thanks for sharing!

Bilko1 - I dig the qoute!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline lostnfound21

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
Sometimes I get the whole "he's a tough guy" reaction from people because I'm bald with the goatee and I'm kind of a big dude. I'm very much not though. And I had people at a previous job think I was a skinhead. Seriously. So once in a while I get some dumb stuff like that. Usually, within 20 seconds of interacting with me they know I'm none of those things.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 07:29:04 PM »
. . . it should come in handy when my daughter starts dating. I stand about 6'2" and weigh about 200-205 lbs.

PRICELESS, Mr. PigPen!!!.......my sentiments exactly!!!  My daughter is only 7, but she's a knock out already and I have had the exact same thoughts.  I haven't shaved yet...but I'm a bigger fella too 6'1" and 250 - 255 lbs.  My wife and I have a deal that when I lose 15 lbs, I get to shave the noggin without protest.

As far as the tough guy thing.  I'm going to be playing a Roman soldier in an easter production, so the bald look will be effective I think.

Other than that, I'm a financial consultant and have wondered about the whole White Collar thing.  Part of that has been since alleviated because the guy I admire most in my field shaves the melon.  He owns Ty Young & Associates (see attached) and his look, I think, suits him well--even in the white-collar role.

Comments about the white-collar issue?

BaldRob

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 08:12:47 PM »
Robmeister... I know where you're coming from on the white collar/bald look.  I'm in a very white collar industry and I deal with a lot of customers.  I read people very well and have not had any problems with having a shaved head.

The only reaction you might get is the first time people who knew you with hair see you!!   ;D

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 11:05:47 PM »
In regards to the white collar work world, it's perfectly acceptable.  I'm at a convention right now for my industry and there a bunch of bald dudes walking around.  Actually, I'm getting quite a bit of exposure for Sly Bald Guys while I'm here.  I have a couple people Sly Bald Guys business cards and they loved the idea of the site.  I already know that a couple of them have told other guys about it.

So, back to the white collar work world, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Plus, if you have more confidence you'll be more successful in business, especially in client's eyes.