Author Topic: Tough Guy Reaction  (Read 43832 times)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Tough Guy Reaction
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 07:14:11 AM »
Bob....a warm welcome, sir. 

I generally mean business, but have this cop's sick sense of humor, occasionally verging on the ridiculous.

Well you've come to the right place, my friend.

That's an understatement
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 07:56:40 AM »
Paul, the cops have found you! 

Damn, gotta change the identity again. HA HA
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:59:17 AM by pburke »

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »

...And the most effect way to do that is to grow your hair back.....sorry, brutha :'(

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »

...And the most effect way to do that is to grow your hair back.....sorry, brutha :'(

not gonna happen. no way, no how. nope. not doin' it!

Offline BulletHead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
I had my best bud say to me "you are one scary looking dude" when I came into the club to meet him for a drink. What was odd was he hadn't said anything before about my look. He said this about 4 or 5 months into me being shaved. Yes, I'm a larger man at 6'2" and 215 lbs. but I was that before the shave. I didn't question what he said, I just kept it in the back of my mind.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »
I had my best bud say to me "you are one scary looking dude" when I came into the club to meet him for a drink. What was odd was he hadn't said anything before about my look. He said this about 4 or 5 months into me being shaved. Yes, I'm a larger man at 6'2" and 215 lbs. but I was that before the shave. I didn't question what he said, I just kept it in the back of my mind.

bullet. you resemble billy bob thornton. that IS scary.

spaceape48

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »
Billy Bob was scary in Bad Santa....movie is always good for a proper pants wetting. I guess I need to post my avatar one of these days. I've been told I look quite scary too, especially when I have my hollow ear plugs in.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 08:29:49 PM »
Billy Bob was scary in Bad Santa....movie is always good for a proper pants wetting. I guess I need to post my avatar one of these days. I've been told I look quite scary too, especially when I have my hollow ear plugs in.

well hurry up. @c3

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
I guess I need to post my avatar one of these days.

Post up, buddy boy  :x!

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 01:21:15 AM »
I've had at least a goatee on my face almost non-stop since I was old enough to grow one. The first time I started shaving my head (I have shaved and not shaved for months or a year at a time since about '98) I was already an established performer (I'm a musician) in my local area and my band had a fan base happening. I shaved my head a few days before a show and the reaction from fans was overwhelming. I got flooded with emails saying that this new  look made me "unapproachable", "unfriendly" and "mean" looking.

Over the years since then I the biggest complaint I've gotten was that my look is "inconsistant" and that I don't keep one look for more than a few months.

This time I have been shaving my head consistantly since April '06 and have no plans to grow my hair back anytime soon. People are getting used to this as my look and a lot of new fans don't know me any other way. I have made an attempt to be more energetic and friendly on stage, to sort of get people over the shaved head=unfriendly thing and as a result I have become a better performer.

So, it's sort of a win/win thing.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Lex Luethor

• Sly Jr.
  • This *is* my happy face.
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 07:50:48 AM »
I still get the same "you look like an idiot" reaction that I got before I shaved my head.

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
I have had some problems with the " tough guy " reaction.  I am only 5'5" but I am a 190 lb bodybuilder so other men in the bars always try to provoke me anyway.  I am glad that I was a Sgt. at the state correctional facility for 15 years and that I know how to keep situations calm.  With my build, bald head, and goatee, I guess I just look like I want to fight.  I am a really easy-going buy and I have no need to prove myself, so I just blow all of the powerdrinking morons off.  On the other hand, the look does seem to put me in a good power posture in my sales profession, so it's not all bad!

Dieseldan
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 06:58:36 PM »
Welcom to the site, Dan!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 08:01:15 PM »
I have had some problems with the " tough guy " reaction.  I am only 5'5" but I am a 190 lb bodybuilder so other men in the bars always try to provoke me anyway.  I am glad that I was a Sgt. at the state correctional facility for 15 years and that I know how to keep situations calm.  With my build, bald head, and goatee, I guess I just look like I want to fight.  I am a really easy-going buy and I have no need to prove myself, so I just blow all of the powerdrinking morons off.  On the other hand, the look does seem to put me in a good power posture in my sales profession, so it's not all bad!

Dieseldan

Welcome Dan, good to have you join us.   I'm not sure its the size or the bald look but the confidence and self assurance that other guys find intimidating.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Slickdome

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 09:08:20 PM »
At the time I decided to shave my head, I also decided to grow a goatee.  Since then, I have had a lot of people think that I'm trying to be a tough guy.  I never got this reaction prior to going bald.

I am a fairly big guy, 5'11", 215 pounds so I can see how they might get this impression.  Though, there are times when I'm places that this can be a hazzard.  I've had a couple of guys at bars try to start fights with me purely because they thought I was a "tough guy."

Has anyone else had this type of reaction?

Lotz of folks say I look pretty scary with the slickdome/goatee combo...hehehehe.   I don't hang out in bars, cuz I don't drink, so that's probably spared me a butt-kicking or two....lol

In all honesty...the only time I've ever been really provoked was last year in the mosh pit at a Beastie Boys concert.    Maybe it's just me, but something about a big bald guy in a mosh pit....you just seem like you're ready to rumble...  And let's just say....I did not disappoint...LOL   ;)

jj

Enter your email address: