Author Topic: Thinking of shaving it real soon..  (Read 17200 times)

Offline kristian

• Sly Guy in Training
Thinking of shaving it real soon..
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:32 AM »
Firstly I like like to say how happy I am to have found this forum, you seem like a great bunch of bald people O0, any negative thoughts I had about shaving my head bald went right out the window when I started reading the threads and posts in here.

So some about me..

Im a 28 year old guy from Australia, I work in television, but as a tech, not on-air or anything, I have been losing my hair from the front for many years now and every time I have it cut my hairdresser/tobacconist always says she wants to shave me bald, I always say "haha, maybe next time.." and have just ignored it, I often wear a hat or a beanie at work and after many years of beanie and hat Im sure that has not helped.

I saw myself recently in a work photo and it realised I look about 10 years older than everyone else my age at work because my hairline makes me look about mid to late 30's and then I remember another hairdresser once saying I would look 10 years younger if I shaved my head.

I know I should just do it and get it over with, but now I have to wait a few weeks or I will get the nick-name Britney or Brits from friends, anyway here are some pics of me now.

Thanks Guys..

BaldRob

Re: Thinking of shaving it real soon..
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:12:45 AM »
Hi and welcome kristian!  Let me be the first to welcome you to SBG!

I will 100% agree with your hairdresser... let her shave you bald!  Then go get a headblade (or razor of choice) and keep it sly!  However, yes, let the Brittany thing cool down before you do it!

And by the way, what's a matter with the late 30s?? :x!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »
Welcome first of all, and glad you found us. I have had numerous people at work, and customers too, make the comment I was sporting the Britney Spears look. Then I got taken by surprise yesterday when the wife of one of my customers said she told her husband that I had a pretty head....er something like that. She was probably in her late 60's and her husband is an ex-marine and great customer of ours. I would give you the same advice we give most people, give it 30 days, and if you don't like it, it will grow back.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline kristian

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:15:54 AM »
And by the way, what's a matter with the late 30s?? :x!

Nothing wrong with late 30's but when your trying to hit on and pick up 20 year old chicks it dosnt help, no offence.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »
 O0 ;) Ahoy, Kristian! Man, are you ready. Let the Britney Spears thing die down, then run, do not walk, to your lady barber and tell her you're ready. After years of thinning, I took the plunge on 4th November '06.  It takes less than a month to get over the shock and to identify with your new totally bald persona. After that, I haven't looked back. There's only one downside, and I do not think it applies in Australia: in metro NYC, it gets damn cold and drafty. Winter is hard on the dome but relief is no further away than the cashmere beanie my daughter gave me for Christmas. Let us know when you make your move, and send an after pic. Godspeed, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:48:51 AM »
Hello and welcome Kristian.  Not much I can say as you've already gotten great advise except GO FOR IT , once the Spears thing is over of course.  Bet you will feel great.  Once again glad to have you on board. 

And oh yeah PigPen:  her husband is an "ex-marine"  Ain't no such thing.  Once one, always one.   Just needed to clarify that.  I guess it's like I don't ever want to be known as "ex-Sly"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:51:59 AM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »
Hello and welcome Kristian.  Not much I can say as you've already gotten great advise except GO FOR IT , once the Spears thing is over of course.  Bet you will feel great.  Once again glad to have you on board. 

And oh yeah PigPen:  her husband is an "ex-marine"  Ain't no such thing.  Once one, always one.   Just needed to clarify that.  I guess it's like I don't ever want to be known as "ex-Sly"

Very true Paul, my mistake.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:42:08 AM »
No offense, just yanking the old redneck chain.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »
I know Paul, but I should know better. I have enough Marine friends.....lol

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »
Welcome to group, kristian!  We are glad you found us, too!  Yup always follow the ladys advice.  Shave it.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »
shave it now and when someone says something about britney, just look at them and say "BRITNEY WHO?" then glare at them and they will drop it. oh yeah, welcome.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
Kristian, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

As others have said, give your head a good shave.  I would even say to not wait, just do it this weekend.  Who cares about Britney - I doubt you'll get too many associations with her.

As for BaldRob, he's just jealous that he's old.  He'll be right with you trying to pic up the 20 year old girls.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
As for BaldRob, he's just jealous that he's old.  He'll be right with you trying to pic up the 20 year old girls.

A. I'm not old...  :x!
2. 20's a bit young for me...  :/O
iii. Don't you have a Man-Date to go on?  :P

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »
Welcome kristian
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
I slicked my head about 3 or 4 days before Britney Spears did, and I've only gotten the jesting "Oh, you're a Britney Spears fan now?" comment twice. It's not even an annoyance, really, although I probably have fairly thick skin. I used to have my hair pretty long (well, an inch long) and I was only beginning to thin on top, so it's a bit of a shock to some people to see me now.

But given your hairline now, any ribbing you get will of course be playful, and I'm sure plenty of people will understand your decision to shave it all! Besides, Britney gave herself a buzz cut, not a shaved head!

Go for it, man, you won't regret it!

BTW, where in Australia are you at?
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial