Author Topic: I still can't feel good about it.  (Read 20497 times)

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: I still can't feel good about it.
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »
Andre: Yep, you were meant to be bald....you look much better without the hair!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:46:12 AM by Brkeatr »

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
I think Andre looked Okay with his hair, but I agree that you look GREAT bald.

Jodah, man. It sounds like you're really hurting. In my own personal experience I have found that honest people trust others, thieves assume others steal, and insecure people assume others are insecure as well.
While I can't speak for others, I can do the next best thing and assume that when a man says something he means it. But for myself, I had plenty of hair and I took it all off. And I love it. At this point in time it almost seems useless to try and tell you much of anything, though. If I tell you that you look good, will you assume I am lying to make you feel better? Or perhaps I am telling you that YOU look good so that I PERSONALLY can feel good about my own look?
I don't know what to tell you if you think we're phony here, man. I'm not, and I can tell that a great number of the other guys here aren't either. But if you're not willing to take anything we say at face value, I don't know what on earth WE'RE supposed to do or write to change that. Just like your self-loathing, WE can't do anything about you distrust of people.

You've got an issue with being bald, fine. I have an issue with an auto-immune disease. Wanna talk about what's fair? I truly, honestly don't know what you want. You say you have tons of support. You say your social life isn't lacking. You say your identity wasn't found in your hair. You say people tell you that you look great, and you do. The only thing that you mention that gives you any trouble is sensitivity and bumps. There's threads all over about these things if you want some help with it. You could also start your own topic looking for help in these things. I'm SURE there are other head shavers experiencing your difficulties. But the attitude you give off sometimes seems like there's more to the story than trouble with a shaving ritual.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have posted, Jodah. I am making myself late to work because I wanted to put down my thoughts for you. It would be nice if you could read my words with an open mind...
Peace,
J. Digory

BALDANDRE

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
Thanks all you guys for the "nod" on the bald noggin'..

even though I'm always pretty confident on my choice...

kudos are always nice to hear! O0

I really hope you all feel the same about your bald headed appearance!8)

Good lookin' group we got here! ;)

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 11:01:32 PM »
BaldAndre, you do look much better bald than with hair.You looked ok with hair but the hair actually made you look older.The bald look makes you look younger and more macho.May I ask how old you are? I'm 51 and people tell me I look younger with the buzz cut than I did with the hairpiece.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
BaldAndre, you do look much better bald than with hair.You looked ok with hair but the hair actually made you look older.The bald look makes you look younger and more macho.May I ask how old you are? I'm 51 and people tell me I look younger with the buzz cut than I did with the hairpiece.

41...thanks for the props! O0

Bald is the fountain of youth brutha!

Offline Jodah777

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »
    Like an demonic clock, my emotions have run out of gas. I am bipolar. That's how it goes for me. Every now and again, I feel the weight of the world crushing me. I have a lot of problems in life that I can't really figure out, so I usually end up feeling bad about the things I understand all too well. I would like to thank the (mostly) encouraging people here for positive support. I write a lot of things on this site because it lingers in my head. My goal in this is to have someone prove me wrong. (Or at least make a point.)
    I do have enough to be unhappy about, but it usually bottlenecks into / is set off by MPB. Just when I think I'm on top of the mountain, or at least out of the rain, the other shoe drops and a trap-door opens beneath me. I do not claim to have life worse than anybody else. Worse is an opinion. However, everybody understands "bad". "Bad" is what you feel when there isn't enough good. Regardless of what a problem is, if there isn't enough good to balance it out, the resulting emotion is "bad". I wake up every day without enjoying it. I am alive for the ridiculous and unfounded hope of a better tomorrow. The daily burden of a life without joy is rather taxing; it leads to my mind revisiting dark hallways and haunted rooms.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this.... Until I find something good in my life, something worth waking up for, I will (every now and again) post some angry, unresolved issues on this site. I will never enjoy being bald, for it has been a dread that I've always known would come to fruition, even as a little kid. As such is true, I will always ponder the unasked questions in my mind. I will always think beyond the answers I get in life. I will always question the accepted wisdom. I'm never content to be miserable and not question why.
    One thought that nobody really touched is something I will form into a question; Does it not make sense that I miss my hair? (Paraplegics walk in their dreams, I have hair in mine.) (To dissolve any ignorant responses, I'm not comparing the two, I'm talking about one's true identity existing in dreams.)

Offline J Digory

• Super Sly
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2008, 02:16:06 AM »
Yeah, it makes sense to miss your hair. You're not wrong for your feelings, Jodah. My experiences are very different from yours so I am just trying to understand even a little bit of what you are experiencing. I can completely understand the "bad" you're talking about...I guess when things are bad for me with very little hope I tend to feel some apathy. It's not the same as depression...I just stop caring.

Anyway, I really do hope you find peace and happiness. As far as I am personally concerned, you're always free to rant and rave as much as you like. I just wasn't sure what you expected from us is all. As for my end, I am the type of friend that would gladly bounce ideas back and forth with you, but I don't think I am up to the task of proving anyone wrong.

Perhaps this is a dumb thing to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. If you are ever considering suicide tell someone that can help you out, man. You already know you're a likable guy and people really do care for you. Don't go breaking all those hearts and ours too!

I easily get freaked out when people box me in...I get spooked and feel threatened. Sometimes people seem to think I can just stop feeling that way but I honestly can't. I wish I could wave a wand and tell you to stop having anxiety over your hair, but I can't. And while I can tell people to back up off me a little bit, you can't tell your hair to come back. Not trying to make you feel worse...I just have diarrhea of the brain after 14 hours of work.

Here's to more GOOD to balance out the bad in our lives!

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2008, 03:41:46 AM »
I doesn't make sense to miss your hair if it's going to make you miserable.  ;)
Do I miss having a full head of hair...sure. Big deal.

You need to work on dwelling on the positives in your life, not focus on things you cannot change and that make you upset or angry.  :)
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
    Like an demonic clock, my emotions have run out of gas. I am bipolar. That's how it goes for me. Every now and again, I feel the weight of the world crushing me. I have a lot of problems in life that I can't really figure out, so I usually end up feeling bad about the things I understand all too well. I would like to thank the (mostly) encouraging people here for positive support. I write a lot of things on this site because it lingers in my head. My goal in this is to have someone prove me wrong. (Or at least make a point.)
    I do have enough to be unhappy about, but it usually bottlenecks into / is set off by MPB. Just when I think I'm on top of the mountain, or at least out of the rain, the other shoe drops and a trap-door opens beneath me. I do not claim to have life worse than anybody else. Worse is an opinion. However, everybody understands "bad". "Bad" is what you feel when there isn't enough good. Regardless of what a problem is, if there isn't enough good to balance it out, the resulting emotion is "bad". I wake up every day without enjoying it. I am alive for the ridiculous and unfounded hope of a better tomorrow. The daily burden of a life without joy is rather taxing; it leads to my mind revisiting dark hallways and haunted rooms.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this.... Until I find something good in my life, something worth waking up for, I will (every now and again) post some angry, unresolved issues on this site. I will never enjoy being bald, for it has been a dread that I've always known would come to fruition, even as a little kid. As such is true, I will always ponder the unasked questions in my mind. I will always think beyond the answers I get in life. I will always question the accepted wisdom. I'm never content to be miserable and not question why.
    One thought that nobody really touched is something I will form into a question; Does it not make sense that I miss my hair? (Paraplegics walk in their dreams, I have hair in mine.) (To dissolve any ignorant responses, I'm not comparing the two, I'm talking about one's true identity existing in dreams.)

tough one bro...you do have issues...

and it's not your hair...

hang in there and hang out here...

at least you can see a bunch of other bald heads staring back at you and you know you are NOT the only bald person in this world! ;)

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
bald is like the most popular hair style on the planet  O0

Offline Jodah777

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »
Kojack- I sure would love to dwell on positives. I've yet to find any that don't involve saying things like, "At least I'm not on fire." The word "not" makes that a literally (not figuratively) negative statement. A negative cannot count as a positive, so I'm lacking.

BaldAndre- Yep. The hair isn't the issue. That's just what it comes out as. Although sometimes it is an issue, just not nearly the predominant one.

JDigory- Suicidal thoughts have been a gigantic part of my life. I have a scar on my wrist, I've been on meds that made me worse, I've been on drugs that numbed the pain, I've had enough conversations on life to write a book, I spent 3 awful days in a looney bin, and I'm always on guard looking for the next horrible thing about to haunt my life. So, nothing you say could ever make me feel worse. Brain diarrhea is better than brain constipation. I always value what people have to say.

I have another question to anybody who would like to answer.... What makes getting up in the morning worth it for you? I get up feeling sleepy and cranky, dreading the day to come. What about y'all? I know it's not a bald question, but I'd still like to know what kind of mental fuel people run on.

GASlick

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
What gets me up in the morning?

Each day is a new opportunity to make a difference, do my best and help someone that needs help.

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
I don't look forward to anything when I wake up lol.  I get up, I go to the gym, I have about an hour break, and then I work for 9 hours (well 1 hour lunch).  Then I go to bed and do it all over again.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »

I have another question to anybody who would like to answer.... What makes getting up in the morning worth it for you? I get up feeling sleepy and cranky, dreading the day to come. What about y'all? I know it's not a bald question, but I'd still like to know what kind of mental fuel people run on.

Hmmm, that's a tough one...

different stages brought (bring) different reasons why..

in the teens some thing different than 20's, then the 30's something different and so on..

big thing though..be it a party, vacation cool weekend...you need something to look forward to...

always...whatever that may be...

You mean comin' to SBG isn't enough for you, even with all these handsome bald headed bro's? ;)

Just kiddin'...hang tough! O0

Offline J Digory

• Super Sly
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2008, 01:54:56 AM »
Kojack- I sure would love to dwell on positives. I've yet to find any that don't involve saying things like, "At least I'm not on fire." The word "not" makes that a literally (not figuratively) negative statement. A negative cannot count as a positive, so I'm lacking.

BaldAndre- Yep. The hair isn't the issue. That's just what it comes out as. Although sometimes it is an issue, just not nearly the predominant one.

JDigory- Suicidal thoughts have been a gigantic part of my life. I have a scar on my wrist, I've been on meds that made me worse, I've been on drugs that numbed the pain, I've had enough conversations on life to write a book, I spent 3 awful days in a looney bin, and I'm always on guard looking for the next horrible thing about to haunt my life. So, nothing you say could ever make me feel worse. Brain diarrhea is better than brain constipation. I always value what people have to say.

Here's a couple positives for ya. At least people like you. At least you're attractive. Hey, they're small, but I know the first one from your own words and what little I know of you already, and the second one is apparent from your avatar.

Sometimes it's obligation that gets me up. Some of the things that keep me going when things get tough though, are my family and friends. Seriously. Just thinking about seeing them can cheer me up, or get me a little sad (my family is darn near everything to me and they are not in the same state for some reason).