Author Topic: Lance's Fire Department Interview  (Read 30003 times)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Lance's Fire Department Interview
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 05:46:24 AM »
Good to hear an update and that there are options for you..
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline HotCajun

• Super Sly
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 03:18:25 PM »
I'll make that phone call anytime  :x!

jusbnme

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
I'll make that phone call anytime  :x!

If I don't hear anything soon I may take you up on that HC.  Thanks for the support.  O0

I actually received an e-mail this morning stating that Hampton, which is the city I have been waiting to hear from, is a little backed up with paper work.  Human resources let me know that they have just gotten the paper work from my panel interview into the chief's hands.  So it may take just a little longer to find out if I have made it through to the next step.  I guess that's good and bad.  On one hand I have to wait a little longer to hear the news but on the other hand it means I may still have a shot.   :-\

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
dang lance..you in yorktown? i thought you was in texas or something lol  i'm in norfolk...oceanview to be exact lol...used to live on willoughby spit right across the HRBT...
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
Sounds hopeful Lance, if you were out of the running I don't know if they would have called you to say you're still in it.   Best of Luck
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
dang lance..you in yorktown? i thought you was in texas or something lol  i'm in norfolk...oceanview to be exact lol...used to live on willoughby spit right across the HRBT...

Damn man...I had no idea.  Yeah, I'm right here in Yorktown.  I was born in Newport News at Riverside Hospital but grew up most of my life in good old Seaford, which is part of York County.  I don't know Norfolk too well but I have been there quite a few times.  I recently went out that way to the zoo with my wife and son.  I have heard of Willougby Spit before but don't know too much about that either.  I don't really get out too much other than right around here like Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, and Williamsburg.  :-[   I use to get over to Virginia Beach once in a while but since my son has come along I really don't do much of anything anymore.  Maybe we can arrange a meeting of "2 slys?"  Small world.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »
yup just right down the road from ya lol...i go to yorktown 2 or 3 times a month....got a lady friend that lives there  >:D yea might be able to get alil get together when i come back from  fl...leaving this weekend...will be back may 20th.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

jusbnme

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 05:27:44 PM »
yup just right down the road from ya lol...i go to yorktown 2 or 3 times a month....got a lady friend that lives there  >:D yea might be able to get alil get together when i come back from  fl...leaving this weekend...will be back may 20th.

Sounds good bro.  Just give me shout.   O0

jusbnme

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
I'm about to lose it!!!  Still no call from the chief from the fire department that was moving things so fast before.  I received an e-mail about a week ago stating that they were behind on their paperwork and that we should be getting contacted soon one way or the other.  It's really stressing me.  I'm not a very impatient person but when things take a crazy amount of time I do start bugging out.  I have a physical agility test for another city coming up this Thursday which I wasn't looking forward to.  It's a little harder than the first city's I took.  I had hoped I would have heard something by now from the first city and wouldn't have to take this one but I guess I'm out of luck on that idea.  Oh well, we'll see what happens. 

BaldRob

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »
I'm about to lose it!!!  Still no call from the chief from the fire department that was moving things so fast before.  I received an e-mail about a week ago stating that they were behind on their paperwork and that we should be getting contacted soon one way or the other.  It's really stressing me.  I'm not a very impatient person but when things take a crazy amount of time I do start bugging out.  I have a physical agility test for another city coming up this Thursday which I wasn't looking forward to.  It's a little harder than the first city's I took.  I had hoped I would have heard something by now from the first city and wouldn't have to take this one but I guess I'm out of luck on that idea.  Oh well, we'll see what happens. 

Keep your chin up Lance!  Things always seem to work out...

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »
Keep it positive bro.  Look at it this way, if you do well on the tests for this department, you could be in a position to pick and choose your job!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »
Hang in there Lance...you yourself said they were behind on all their paperwork....

I'm sure it's just all par for the course...

I have a feeling you'll be a Mr. Clean sly brother soon ( you can't have a goat when you first enter, right?)...don't worry the firetraining will rid you of the double chin you told us about
 ;)!

let us know when you get the good news!

jusbnme

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 03:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.  It does help.   O0

jusbnme

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
What's up my sly bros. and sisters?  I still haven't heard from the first city yet (Hampton), which would be the chief's phone call.  But I did do well enough on the other city's agility test to move on in their process.  Man, that was like 5 times harder than Hampton's test.  When I was done I felt like passing out and throwing up.  The last event was a joist walk.  My legs and arms felt like limp noodles and my head was swooning like crazy.  When it was over I had to sit down for about 30 min. and drink a lot of water before I could try and leave.  But like I said, I did well enough to advance so if I don't get any good news from the first city I will hopefully have this one to fall back on.  That agility test sure did let me know one thing though...I definitely need to get more serious about my exercising.  I was wore the hell out half way through the thing.  I don't know what got me through it.  It's not really needing more muscle or anything like that for me...It's more of the endurance that I need.  Sure a little more muscle would be nice but if I'm panting like a dog in 100 degree heat after only about a few minutes of strenuous work then somethings up.  I need to do way more cardio than I'm doing, which is about none right now.  I'm heading out first thing tomorrow to check out some different elliptical machines to price and buy.  At least that's what I've been told can give me a very good cardio workout without being too hard on my joints like running.  Any suggestions on the elliptical machines or better advice?  I've heard stationary bikes are good too but that ellipticals are more of a workout. 

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
way to go, lance, yer my hero, bro!!

In '99 I went through the process for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's dept.  I'm pretty sure the fire dept physical stuff is more rigorous.  But the Sheriff's dept was pretty stinkin' tough.

I'm still disappointed in the outcome....I passed everything...physical...written, etc. 

But I made a personal vow that I wasn't going to lie when it came to the verbal...I figured that they would appreciate that.

Well, they didn't (BASTARDS).....

When they asked me if I'd ever done marijuana, cocaine and what not....I told them I did, but that it had been 10 years removed....when I was young and stupid....

They showed me the door real quick....(BASTARDS)....

The funny thing is...I had friends and relatives that made it on the force by LYING ABOUT THE SAME STUFF I WAS HONEST ABOUT (BASTARDS)...

ok...I feel better now...

Way to go brutha