Author Topic: Lance's Fire Department Interview  (Read 29851 times)

jusbnme

Lance's Fire Department Interview
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
What's up my sly bros.?  I have my panel interview tomorrow with one of the fire departments I'm trying to get in to.  This is the third part of the hiring process.  First there's a written test, then a physical agility test, then this interview.  I passed the written and agility test.  I think the way it's supposed to work tomorrow is 3 or 4 people from different parts of the fire department will be asking me questions.  Hopefully I'll do all right and "wow" them.  I'm not one to dress up at all.  I'm strictly a jeans and tee shirt kind of guy.  I'm wearing a shirt and tie tomorrow.  I'm going to be so uncomfortable.    :-\ >:(   I have to make a good impression on these people to move on to the next part in the hiring process.  So wish me luck!!! 

I was wondering since it's like 3 or 4 people it sounds like an audition or something.  I wonder how they would react if I went in there and started doing something nuts like break dancing or singing?  I could always play it off and be like, "Oh my bad, I thought this was American Idol."    !@!@   ??? ;D

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Lance's Fire Department Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »
While every dept is different of course, was talking to my brother-in-law who has been on his dept for almost 20 years. He says that alot of the time these questions are designed to see how you can think on your feet and react to situations or pressure. Go in your confident sly self and the result should be sweet.  Good luck
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »
Good luck bro ... gotta follow the dream or you'll always wonder "what if".
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

chadoweasel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »
Good luck man. Those panels are always fun. Just stay comfortable and be yourself.

The worst thing you can do is tell them what you think they WANT to hear. Thats what they hear every single interview. You do need to give the "right" responses, but do it in a way that makes you interesting and someone they remember. I have 12 years now as a professional firefighter, and have worked in 4 states and 2 countries. I have had my share of fire department interviews. Im settled now I think, I hope I never see another interviewer.

Also be patient after the process. I learned that the hard way. I did all of this with the city of Nashville, thought I did great, but never heard back. Over the next 6 months I applied to a different department up in Detroit, got the job, and 2 weeks later Nashville called with the offer. At that point it was too late to accept it. It sucked.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »
Good luck bro!  Stay confident and you'll do well.  O0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:24:02 AM »
Best of luck Lance!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

jusbnme

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:53:18 PM »
What's up my sly bros.?  I'm happy to say that I made it through the interview process and I'm going on to the next phase of the hiring.  That would be a personal interview with the chief of the fire department.  Well, first he has to review everything from my panel interview to see if he feels I am "worthy" of an interview with him.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks for all the best wishes.  I did go in there just being my sly self.  Didn't try to bs at all.  I was just totally honest with all my answers and was just myself.  Hopefully the chief will give me a shot so I can use some more of my "slyness" to advance even farther.   O:O

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:09:16 PM »
good luck Lance! hope ya get it!
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
Awesome  brutha!! Good luck with the chief!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »
my cousin usually shaves his head in the summer but was told not to because it isn't proffessional or some crap. he just got on with the dept so maybe they are hazing him.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

chadoweasel

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
Good job, Lance. Good luck as you move forward.

jusbnme

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
Thanks for all the encourgement and replies my sly bros.   O0

pburke, I don't know about your cousin's department bro...They may very well be messing with him because a lot of the firemen I see around in this area have went the way of the sly.  Of course I mean they are bald.  I'm glad for your brother though. 

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:50:15 PM »
Congrats on advancing one more step towards your goal Lance.  Good luck on the next phase. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »
Good job, Lance!!

Keep up the good work, ey. O0

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »
So any word yet when you meet the cheif?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995