Author Topic: 17 Years Old, Thinking of Shaving  (Read 4701 times)

Offline NoHairDay

• Learning the way of Sly
17 Years Old, Thinking of Shaving
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
I've had really fine, flyaway hair my entire life, which needs an enormous amount of maintenance to be manageable when it's grown out. Furthermore, I suspect that I am possible receding, though it's minor (I've always had a high hairline).

I guess I'm lucky in that my father, who started losing hair in his 20's, took it all off in the days when a bald head was very uncommon. He's always assured me and my brothers that there is nothing to fear about male pattern baldness. So when I really start thinning, I'll have no qualms about putting the razor to my dome.

Need encouragement from you guys... will the look suit me? Ok, so this probably isn't the best place to get an unbiased opinion! But still, do you think I have the look for a totally shaved head? Or should I go for the stubble?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:36:16 PM by NoHairDay »

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
Re: 17 Years Old, Thinking of Shaving
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
Welcome. I say razor it smooth. I think I was about 17 when I first started thinking about shaving.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
Why not give it a try for the summer?  Sounds like your parents will be supportive, so that's one major obstacle overcome.   I think it will suit you just fine.  Keep it shaved for the summer and see how you like it. You obviously want to or you wouldn't be asking about it.   Even if you ultimately don't decide to keep it, it will be a lot less scary for you if your hair does start to recede when you're older.  Just be sure to shave it clean; don't stop at just stubble or you'll be missing out on the best part of the sly experience.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Haha, I was just looking at the pics again and noticed that your shirt looks just like one I have, lol.

Offline NoHairDay

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  I'm very nearly Sly - tell me what you think.  I'm loving my new look but want to go a step further.  O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
It looks great!   O0  If you want to take the next step, then go for it!  Why wait?  When I finally got down that short, I just couldn't resist taking the blade to my scalp.  Just let it happen.   ;)

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
Yep, I agree with everything that Razor had to say! Just do it. First do enough reading here to get a good idea of what products to use and the best way to shave. Good Luck!
It's all about attitude!

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  I'm very nearly Sly - tell me what you think.  I'm loving my new look but want to go a step further.  O0

Go for it!

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
you're so close now you might as well.  If you hate it, it will take about a week to get back to that length.

flatdave

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
I agree with the others, go for it, you're so close.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
go for it,you have nothing to lose. iam a firm believer in the 30 day rule so try it for 30 days

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum NHD!

Since you are nearly there now, I'd say give it a 30 day trial period.
You know your Dad will think it's cool.........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
Go for it.  I honestly wish that I had the guts to do it, when I was your age.  Different is cool, when you're young.  Heck, different is cool when you're in your 30's too!

Shave it and enjoy the head rubs from the ladies!

Offline NoHairDay

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
The support is appreciated guys, and I really want to go ahead and do it, but I'm in a tricky spot and need your help!

Basically, I have a major crush on a chick I know, and she prefers hair over a smooth dome! Gah! It shouldn't do so but it's really holding me back from shaving. Has anyone ever been in this position before? Don't know what to do, dammit!

I've gotta be honest - I love the sly look. I was being complimented left and right right after a 0 buzzcut which is basically bald. People kept telling me it was my best look. But I really think a completely shaved head is more distinctive. I was once distinctive for my mid-back length hair, now I want to stand out as the 17 year old with no hair whatsoever if that makes sense! It's just this damn crush that's holding me back.  :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:28:34 PM by NoHairDay »

marty22

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »
so far; you look fine!