Author Topic: Headblade not cutting my hair?  (Read 10049 times)

Offline 2slickgriff

• Sly Guy in Training
Headblade not cutting my hair?
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Hey guys, i'm having some trouble with my Headblade sport hoping someone can help me out...

I have very thick and curly hair and i'm concerned about getting razor bumps so the first time I shaved I went with the grain and didn't apply much pressure.  But it felt like the triple blades that came with the HBsp just weren't cutting my hair.  I know its cutting some of my hair because the blades are getting clogged but the shave is not a consistent cut all around my head.  It seems like at the front of my head the blades cut the closest but on the sides and back the shave isn't any shorter than when I started.

-I've only shaved twice up to this point so I wonder if it is something I'm doing wrong in my technique?
-Has anyone ever heard of the blades that come with the HB being dull right out of the box?
-From reading some other posts i learned that going with the grain will not give me the closest shave, but i feel like it should be closer than this....I guess I could be wrong
-I'm thinking about getting some Mach 3 disposables and seeing if they will give me a closer more even shave.... any thoughts

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Headblade not cutting my hair?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
it might be a thing where you have to buzz it down with clippers using no guards. Being that you have thicker hair, but I couldnt really say for sure because my hair is thin.

My personal oppinion of the HB blades, I didnt like them as well.  They seem to dull out faster.  You should try using another blade and see how that goes. Just experiment with different varieties.  Be sure to let us know what you find out. 

Timmay!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

-I'm thinking about getting some Mach 3 disposables and seeing if they will give me a closer more even shave.... any thoughts

I'd give it a try.  It's worth experimenting a little to find what works best for you. 

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »
While I like the idea of the HeadBalde, I get a much better shave with a Mach 3.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »
griff, I found the same thing with the triple blades and I don't have that thick of hair.  I use the Sensor Excel blades and receive a great shave!  You can also use the Gillette Atra blades or the HB double blades.  Any of those three will probably give you a better shave.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:14:21 AM »
I also did not care for the HB triples. My blade of choice is the Sensor Excel but you have to get an adapter from HB.
Have you considered an electric? I am a new fan of the Panasonic ES8243. Shaves smooth and close. Check the thread about this shaver in the product reviews section of the forum.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

parksie

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:51 AM »
Dont give up on the headblade yet.  Like everyone has said try a different blade first.  O0

Offline mouse404

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »
try the schick quattro midnight, ive tried mach 3 turbo, headblade, panasonic linear and overall this has been giving me the best shave. i do shave against the grain though....trying goin with the grain then against, thats what i do.

Offline aleutiancowboy

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »
I love the headblade but had the same problems with the triple blades that came with it. I don't know if they were dull or just don't work well but they defenitly did not cut. My headblade came with two adaptars so I tried the Sensor Excel and the Gillette Atra blades both worked good for me but I liked the Sensor Excel better. So that is what I use now.
THERE ARE NO SMALL BRAINS JUST BIG HEADS

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »
Hey... I am only 5 days into daily head shaving.
I am using a Headblade with a double Gillette blade and a Gillette razor with a  triple blade.

I don't understand it at all, but the Headblade with the dual blades cuts MUCH close than the hand shaver with the triple blade. Both blades are name brand Gillette, no generics etc...

I have much more to experience but this is a definite early observation.

I will try swapping 2 blade and 3 blade in the equipment and see if there is a difference then.

Eric

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
I am not a fan of the HB triples after having tried them.  I still use the Atra knock-off generics.  Speaking for myself, I find 2 blades give a better shave... don't know exactly why.  I think that is the general consensus among the HB users here, but it's debatable about which 2-blade system you choose.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline 2slickgriff

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
Hey thanks for the advice, I think I will try a couple different blades and post some pics of the results

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »
Yeah, that's the way to do it if you're new to head shaving!! Just keep trying different products until you come across a razor, lotion, etc.etc. until you find just what works for you!!

I've been shaving for about 4 years and I'm still a product head. Always trying something in search of nirvana in the shaving kingdom! It won't be long you'll find out just what works for you. Good luck and happy searching!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:30 AM »
While I like the idea of the HeadBalde, I get a much better shave with a Mach 3.

Ditto

Offline 2slickgriff

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:05:41 AM »
Hey guys, i went to CVS and picked up a Gillette Sensor Excel RAzor....here are some pics of the results.  It seemed to cut my hair much better than the HB triple blades and so far I don't have any irritation (shaved against the grain)!  It took about an hour to do but hopefully with more practice I can cut that time down.  One thing i did notice was that I had to re-lather with headslick twice and go over my head a few times to get it this smooth.  Whaddya think