Author Topic: who helped you to move along  (Read 5044 times)

Offline clipped

• Sly
who helped you to move along
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
Here's a question.  Who, besides those on this site,  helped you to move along the path to being bald or clippershaved? "Mother Nature" or "MPB" does not count as a  valid response.  I mean a real person.  Did someone (wife, barber girlfriend, co-worker, etc.) say something or encourage you to either shave or clippershave when you were "on the fence", or even before you realized it was time for a new hairstyle, that inched toward baldness?  Or, was it solely the contacts on this site that encouraged you?

Both my wife and barber commented around the same time that maybe I should consider a buzzcut.  My wife often takes our son for a haircut when I cannot get there and she knows the owner of the shop pretty well.  Maybe they conspired against me? (No milkman jokes, please).  It took me several years to get thenerve to do it.  Anyway, I did move to a buzz and then clippershave and my wife likes it.  Last time at the barber, I commented that my wife says, "the shorter, the better", and my barber just said, "well, we will make you wife very, very happy", and he clipper-shaved me almost all the way down. 

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
Re: who helped you to move along
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:30:50 AM »
My sister the other night at dinner just said lets shave it tonight.. I was low on confidence and self esteem and im so glad she made me that night.  I'll never forget her doing that for me

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »
Me,myself and I :)
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:12:21 AM »
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline DaithiSean

• Sly
  • stern mode whilst trying to work my webcam
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
It was just me !  I shaved my head about 2 years ago on a whim and then last year after an accident in August with Nair  ;D - while removing the hair from my neck - I had to get rid of all the hair on my head! I then decided that I preferred the Sly look and since December I've been totally Sly and haven't looked back since

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
Dusty, my super Sly neighbor and I were trying to grow a super long goat. So a bet ensued.  If I shaved first, I had to shave my head.  Since I hated the texture of my hair anyway, after a while the goat looked terrible.  So I went to the barber (a mutual friend) and ended the bet.  Little did I know how wonderful the Sly life was.  I'm here to stay.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
No particular person, but the fact that close buzzcuts and shaved heads were popular with sports celebs, police and firemen made the idea seem reasonable.

When I got tired of trying to deal with MPB and especially when I got a look of what my bald spot looked like at the rear of my head, I decided to take action.  First a buzz that I made tighter and tighter with progressive trips to the barber.  I soon realized that the bald spot in the rear "reappeared" just a few days after a tight buzz and so I knew that a daily shave was the only real solution.  Still took me a little time to work up the nerve, but once I shaved I knew that I would be bald for life.  Also, I got compliments right off the bat, especially about how much younger I looked.  That also solidified the choice.

Now I hope that I wear the look in a way that will encourage others to get bald and be proud of the dome.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:49 AM »
Just myself and this forum..

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »
My wife encouraged me, more than anyone else, to shave it off.   My daughter was encouraging me, until I did it, at which time she starting freaking out about it.  But, a week later she started to like it  ....
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
Since years I had hair and beard short buzzed.

Our newspaper the Süddeutsche Zeitung has each Monday an attachment of the New York Times. In February 2007 I read an article about Headshavers in USA and the Headblade products. So it was in my mind.

In May (14th) I tried the first shave, but without much pleasure (100 nicks and cuts and weird razorburn...). But the idea rested in the brain.

Aug 7th 2007 was the day - I jumped over the fence!  ;D

J

Offline DBM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
I told my wife she should tell me when it's starts looking like a comb-over, then I'd shave it.  It's only been a few days, but nothing but compliments.

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
DBM~

As my hair parted company, and my forehead grew, I progressively buzzed shorter and shorter over the last 20+ years.  I was buzzing before it was popular.  I loved it, and the shorter it was the better I liked it.  My favorite was no-guard stubble, and I sported that cut for quite awhile.   

I always admired balding guys who had the guts to razor it off, but thought it would be too much work on a daily basis.  After finding this site, and lurking for a month or so, I cranked up the nerve to take a blade to it.  I'll never forget the feeling of that first shave!  Initial mixed feelings gave way quickly to addiction.  I think I'm SLY for good. 
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »
My ten year old son basically held my hand going to the barbershop.  Without his support, I don't know that I would have had the stones to lose the hairpiece and buzz it all off.  Thanks Buddy.  O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline shdouble

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
Me and my brother had been talkn about doing it for years. I finally have he still hasnt.He has always been clipping.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
After I started noticing that my forehead was getting larger, I started to do get crewcuts.  Then a customer at the store where I worked called me "baldy" as he thought it was close enough to being bald.  That was the first time I started toying with shaving my head.  Then I started hearing about a Seattle Mariners event called, Jay Buhner Buzz Cut Night.  This event gave you admittance to a M's game if you shaved your head.  But  What gave me the push was a now defunct website called, "The Hairfree Homepage".  I started interacting there and then shaved my head when the Mariners event happened.  There have been occasions where I have grown hair back.  But the latest encouragement to stay sly happened when my non-sly best friend commented that he could see my hairloss shadow and that he could see why I keep it shaved.  He did say that if it happened to him, he would just do a crewcut.