Author Topic: does anyone ever still have days when they get bummed out about their hairloss?  (Read 11493 times)

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
i know your all sly now but im wondering if you ever have days where you look in the mirror and get bummed out about your hairloss and wish you still had it.

ever since that post i had awhile back titled "i need a little confidence booster" about how i hit rock bottom about my hairloss and was having a hard time coping with it, ive been doing A LOT better. you guys helped a lot. there are still days here and there where im extremely bummed and unsatisfied with my hairloss to the point where shaving doesnt seem to make a difference. today was one of the "bad" days ive had since that post. i guess you can say i kind of had a panic attack (ya i know kinda weird considering ive been dealing with this a long time now). but anyways..... today i spent literally like a half an hour in the bathroom examining my hair in the mirror from all different angles, and that definately depressed me. it made me so pissed off i kinda flipped out, grabbed my razor and tied to shave my head harder than normal to try and once and for all completely get rid of the balding shadow, which just led to me tearing up my head to the point of it looking like im wearing a red polkadot hat lol.

it seems like as time goes by im adapting to my hairloss more and more but theres still days where i get so bummed out about it that literally my whole day sucks. my question to you guys is, am i always going to have "off days" like this or am i eventually going to get over my hairloss completely. how often do you guys have bad days about your hair if any?

i feel like i can get over my hairloss completely (i was doing pretty good for awhile) if it stays at the point it is now. the problem is the fear of the future/unknown and how much more ill lose.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:43:08 PM by Ghost1988 »

(|8-)

I've always assumed, even when I was younger with a full head of hair, that I inherited the bald gene from my grandfather.   I remember one of his sayings was "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street" when we little kids asked about it.  He seemed to think of it as something to make a joke about, certainly nothing to worry about.  My grandmother thinks he was attractive, and often said so.  (He is wearing a military uniform in their wedding photo, including a hat, but I am told you could tell he had lost a lot of hair by then.)  So I guess the role model I've had for this family trait taught me how to deal with it, and I always expected it.  I am actually surprised from reading this board to learn how anguished some people can get over balding. 

I am also surprised from reading this board for a while that people can radically alter their appearance, and the reaction from other people is not that big of a deal.  Other people just aren't that interested.  Look at all the proof here.  Total strangers really don't care at all--it's just how you look.  Friends and family eventually get used to it, unless they have other issues that some other change in your life would have brought to light eventually anyway.

Besides thinning out, my hair is very fine, so it never looked neat anyway.  I think that bothered me more than a receding hairline.  (You really couldn't go through high school in the '80s with short hair, even if it is what looked best.)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Hey, Ghost, hang in there.  I know that it is still rough for especially the younger guys.  But it does get better.  Just try to be accepting of yourself and take it one day at a time.  Just look around at all the other guys with SLY heads and remember that you look just as good as they do.

And if you need more encouragement, we are all here for you.

Rick
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Do I still have days when I get bummed out about hairloss?  Nope.

But I certainly did have them earlier on when the hairloss was beginning.  Now I enjoy being sly. 8)

About the shadow....  It provides an outline of your hairline and that troubles you.  But it is a real, masculine look.  Hope you can grow to take pride in it.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
No, no issues with me because I'm such a better man since shaving it down. What's done is done and if I had a full head of hair I wouldn't have experienced the self discovery the whole process blessed me with. I know without a doubt that shaving my head has changed my life for the better. Kind of like a sauna... The best part about being in a sauna is when it's time to get out. That and I think it looks great.

I like what bostonbean said:
About the shadow....  It provides an outline of your hairline and that troubles you. But it is a real, masculine look.  Hope you can grow to take pride in it.

Chin up brother. Women have menstrual cycles and men lose hair. Embrace being a man.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:08:42 AM by PowerOfCheese »
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Life is a journey and for a lot of us here the hair part of the journey has come to an end.  Now I'm ready for the rest of the trip as a SLY man.  Forward.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:17:42 PM by saintc »

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
Ghost, about the feeling of being down on hairloss, my opinion is that it is a part of most men's lives.  There are a lot more problems in life than hair.  What would  your feelings be, say if you were in an accident and were severely scarred or lost a limb    ( God Forbid)?  Take life and enjoy your blessings.  You have good looks, health and a loving family.  Think how lucky you really are!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Ghost I can truely and honestly say ...NO!  I do not ever think about having hair.  Just suits me I guess.

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
NEVER! 

But I was bummed yesterday when I thought it was best to not shave after my annual trip to the dermatologist. 

I shaved today, so all's right with the world...just went carefully around the incision.   
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Never do I get upset about my hair loss.  The guys on here helped me realize that I am the same person with or without hair.  These guys got me to where I am today - that is being proud of myself. 

President Roosevelt's wife once said, "No one can make you miserable unless you let them."  I adopted that saying when I accepted my baldness.

Don't worry, we are pulling for you.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Absolutely definitely certainly not! I love my shiny bald noggin.  8)
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
Ghost I feel your pain man being that we are the same age and experiencing the same issue however ever since I shaved I have enjoyed a lot more confidence. But i def still have those days where I think why me. But I think the sly look suits both of us well and we need to work on being more confident in our new awesome look. I've noticed since I did it and joined this board I am dealing with my MPB much better. Hang in there buddy.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Ghost, it's natural to have those days at this stage of the game, and I will have random days where I feel down about hairloss.  Then the next day, I'm on top of the world.  Like KC said, take it day by day.  And know that you are making the right decision for you.  The days, like you've experienced, will start to become fewer.
It's tough to lose hair at a younger age, but it's harder to live in denial.  You are one step ahead of denial, and things are only going to get better from here.  You've told everybody, this is who i am, accept me for me.  That's a pretty cool place to be.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Nope. In fact, I thank God daily for freeing me from the tyranny of hair.

Offline imb

• Sly Jr.
sometimes I do, sometimes I feel really self conscious about it, almost like I am going out naked and that people are focusing on my head. But most of the time it doesn't bother me. I've kind of put it into perspective. I read back some of my on line conversations where I would constantly whine and be negative about it and I felt ashamed and silly. The person who I whined to's mum had MS, I myself have poor eyesight that bothers me on a day to day basis. So I think to myself, how could I have been so pathetic? Once your health starts to deteriorate you begin to appreciate how stupid and vein we can all be. Not that I am criticising you it applies to everyone including me. I see it around me all the time (I am 23), people that are young and healthy and I can see don't appreciate what they have. Without your health life begins to become a day to day chore. So yes it still bothers me sometimes but I pretty much consider it a trivial issue. Maybe that will change when I lose some more I don't know.

Enter your email address: