Author Topic: Why do we do it? Why the clearcut?  (Read 9079 times)

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
Why do we do it? Why the clearcut?
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
I am curious to know what the average SBG's reasons were to take it off.  I've said in other threads what lead me to my decision.  Alopecia Areata.  Here's a before and after pic to clear up any confusion about what I was dealing with.  >click here<
While dealing with AA I cursed it everyday but now, I suppose I can thank it because I am much happier being sly.  That's for sure!   O:O

I'm Brian and so is my wife!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Why do we do it? Why the clearcut?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »
I actually did it because I was going to go hunting in the sticks for two weeks and didn't want to worry about having crusty hair the whole time.  But, there's a whole bunch of answers to your question in this thread:  http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=7.0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:21:02 PM »
Hey thanks Tyler, I knew I had seen a thread title about this.  I didn't have time to read it when I had seen it and I could not find it again.  It suck being old   :-[

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
Hey thanks Tyler, I knew I had seen a thread title about this.  I didn't have time to read it when I had seen it and I could not find it again.  It suck being old   :-[

You're welcome!  This is one of the first posts ever made...actually #7 to be exact.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »
what was #1? the one that got this whole thing started.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:32:20 PM »
what was #1? the one that got this whole thing started.

Well, I deleted the first topic I created, so the actual first topic that I created that is still around is the #2 topic - Sunscreen. http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=2.0

I think because it was the end of July, this was an important subject in my mind.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 08:22:21 AM »
 :) Shiny, after looking at your before and after pics, I am very glad you've taken the plunge and joined the site. A clean, neat, totally bald head beats all other contenders. I took it off because I got tired of taking supplements, messing around with hairspray,  fearing the wind, and the bedraggled professor look. There was some initial shock or disconnect, but it's gone now, in just over three months. I doubt I'll ever attempt to regrow what's left of my hair. I am looking forward to the pleasure of being a chrome-dome in the hot months, when our hairy friends are sweltering. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 05:55:09 PM »
Thanks prof!  I can't wait for spring and summer either.  I just got back from a road trip down to the southern interior of BC,  (Canada's desert region).  It's winter there of course but the daytime temp on the day I was there was 2 degrees celcius.  I had come out of -15 C so it felt really nice and I went bare-bean and loved it.  Now I am back in -15 and depressed.   :'(  Can't wait for those warm spring days with the sun shining down on me and me shining back up at it   O:O

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »
my reason for shaveing my head bald was simple...i am the only one of three generations of my family to inherit they losse my hair Gene ...it comes from my mothers side of my family not my fathers..they are all thick strong hair..my hair is baby fine..as they choose to type my hair in my past barber visits...i had long hair for several years but it stayed in a pony tail..Before i joined the Navy still in high school a freind who found out she had Cancer was going to loose her hair during treatment...she always would tell me she wished she could have hair like mine ..so i gave it up and she got her wish...after looking back shiny fit me better than with hair and was going to have it wacked off in boot camp so i put my to good use..lol O0 O0 O0 :) :)
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 12:11:06 AM »
I started shaving my head because I have a comparatively mild case of Psoriasis. It manifests for me as REALLY thcik patches of danfruff whereever I grow much hair. The dandruff is unsightly and itchy as all get out. Scratching of course leads to scratching, which means lots of flakes on the clothes and even bleeding and it all gets pretty ugly.

So, I just gave up and shaved it.

I'm not "losing" my hair at all, but it grows in pretty thick and very curly, so having ANY hair on my head, starts the process. It gets expensive and troublesome to use the prescription shampoos and stuff necassary to keep the Psoriasis in check and they rarely work for long.

Shaving is not only cheaper and easier, but I think it's a good look for me to boot  O0
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »
I concur, SLY is a good look for you Vash.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
I am curious to know what the average SBG's reasons were to take it off.  I've said in other threads what lead me to my decision.  Alopecia Areata.  Here's a before and after pic to clear up any confusion about what I was dealing with.  >click here<
While dealing with AA I cursed it everyday but now, I suppose I can thank it because I am much happier being sly.  That's for sure!   O:O

The very first shave was done with 13 other teachers to raise funds for the Armed Forces Childrens Scholarship fund which gives educatioal money to kids who lost a parent in Iraq or Afghanistan.   That was three months ago and I'm the only one to keep the SLY look.  As each week goes by and I'm still keeping it slick don't know if I will ever grow it back. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 05:21:48 PM »

The very first shave was done with 13 other teachers to raise funds for the Armed Forces Childrens Scholarship fund which gives educatioal money to kids who lost a parent in Iraq or Afghanistan.   That was three months ago and I'm the only one to keep the SLY look.  As each week goes by and I'm still keeping it slick don't know if I will ever grow it back. 

I don't know why you would grow it back.  The sly look is very natural on you.  Great reason to do it too.  Bravo to all of you.   O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
Was packin' the trailer to move from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver back in 2003.  Was so freakin' hot (as usual down there)...plus I was huffin furniture and stacks of boxes. 

Needed any relief I could muster...so I grabbed the Wahl clippers and took it down to #2.  With the ease of maintenance and convenience that fostered...I was curious about bic'n it for the next 3 years.

Finally slicked it a month ago......and lovin' it.   

Offline TXFergie

• Sly Jr.
  • TXFergie on Day two of being shorn
    • TXFergie's MySpace Page!!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »
As for me, once I got out of the army, I couldn't grow "civilian" hair for anything. So, I always kept it at a nice flat-top. Then, as I got older, the infamous smooth patch showed up dead center in the back of the head. I then started just buzz cutting it. If you read my introduction post earlier, you'll know that it was sort of a spur-of-the-moment decision, but I've got nothing but compliments good reactions from everyone I see (aside from the usual joking amongst friends).

I think sly looks pretty good on me so I think it will be around for quite awhile.