15 (28.8%)
Italian
8 (15.4%)
Vietnamese
1 (1.9%)
Scandinavian
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: What's your favorite ethnic food?  (Read 35740 times)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What's your favorite ethnic food?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »
sorry poc. i would love to try it. but then again we eat nutria and alligator down here. so i would probably try almost anything.

Gator is good stuff!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
Re: Haggis. Like I said, I'd try it. A full plate full though? hmmmm  I'd have to wait and see on that one. I'd certainly have a cheeseburger on stand by.

NO way can a cheeseburger compete with haggis.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »
Hey Tyler,
There's a great vietnamese restuarant on El Camino Real. I used to go there once a week for their Pho when I worked in San Mateo. I forgot the name of it, but it's about a block North of the BMW dealership on the west side of the street. A co-worker and I loved it. It was funny, we never called the restaurant by it's name. He would just ask, "Hey Schro, wanna go get some bad service?"  ;D

The wait staff was probably the worst I've ever experienced. Oh, their Iced Coffee was awesome also.

I've been there!! Some of my co-workers and I have been there a couple of times.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 11:44:43 PM »
Speaking of noodles.  Do any of you like going to ramen houses?  I'm probably a bigger fan of pho, but ramen can be great after a night of drinking.  I learned that in Japan.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:37 AM »
Italian
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
It would have to be either Mexican or Chinese.  I don't think Haggis would do it for me.  Don't think I can stomach it.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 09:31:40 AM »
It would have to be either Mexican or Chinese.  I don't think Haggis would do it for me.  Don't think I can stomach it.

:Xo! It's amazin stuff. You guys need to give it a chance.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
Speaking of noodles.  Do any of you like going to ramen houses?  I'm probably a bigger fan of pho, but ramen can be great after a night of drinking.  I learned that in Japan.

I love ramen noodles with a drop of hot pepper infused oil and chives O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

Let's see...... you take a sheep's stomach, wash it out, cut up the sheep's organs, stuff the organs into the stomach along with some oatmeal and suet..... and then bake the whole thing.

Uh.......... pass the cheeseburger please........

I will eat nearly anything as long as it's not moving too fast BUT I have one rule when eating things....

If it performed a pumping or walking function while alive, I don't eat it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »

Let's see...... you take a sheep's stomach, wash it out, cut up the sheep's organs, stuff the organs into the stomach along with some oatmeal and suet..... and then bake the whole thing.

I will eat nearly anything as long as it's not moving too fast BUT I have one rule when eating things....

Having worked in the food industry for more years than I care to remember and having a qualification in food safety, I am sorry to point this out, but anyone who beleives there is nothing nasty in burgers is kidding themselves on. Let me tell you guys, if you knew what goes on in food production you would never eat anything you didnt grow and prepare yourself again.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »

Having worked in the food industry for more years than I care to remember and having a qualification in food safety, I am sorry to point this out, but anyone who beleives there is nothing nasty in burgers is kidding themselves on. Let me tell you guys, if you knew what goes on in food production you would never eat anything you didnt grow and prepare yourself again.

hmmm  Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Scottish Ambassador. Not the part about mass produced food not being as pure as the stuff we may make at home but the fact that I'd still eat it. I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts, 20,000 hours of food service experience as a chef and am also certified in food safety and sanitation.

I've personally seen how hot dogs are made. I've also been to a meat processing plant and saw cows go from moo to a bagged strip loin in 7 minutes. Yet I effin LOVE McDonalds double quarter pounders! I cook a lot at home but I have no fear or reservations about processed food. I'm selective but choose to eat my burgers with a smile and a side of diet pepsi.

---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
thread hijack:

There is a Pho place near me, called "What the Pho".  thought that was funny.

as you were..

That IS funny!
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »

hmmm  Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Scottish Ambassador. Not the part about mass produced food not being as pure as the stuff we may make at home but the fact that I'd still eat it. I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts, 20,000 hours of food service experience as a chef and am also certified in food safety and sanitation.

I've personally seen how hot dogs are made. I've also been to a meat processing plant and saw cows go from moo to a bagged strip loin in 7 minutes. Yet I effin LOVE McDonalds double quarter pounders! I cook a lot at home but I have no fear or reservations about processed food. I'm selective but choose to eat my burgers with a smile and a side of diet pepsi.

I have to defer to your qualifications and experience power, but cant see why eating haggis is a no-no for you when you will eat a McDonalds

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
Although I did cast judgment with my vomit emoticon, I didn't say I wouldn't "try" haggis. I just doubted my ability to eat a plate full. 40 years of primarily American cuisine doesn't really prepare you for a dish of animal organs stuffed into a stomach as a meal. You should see my co-workers when I devour a liverwurst and onion sandwich. I love that stuff but they can't even stand the smell. Their loss.

I'd try it though. Just PLEASE have that double quarter pounder ready to go!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:25:08 PM by PowerOfCheese »

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »
Although I did cast judgment with my vomit emoticon, I didn't say I wouldn't "try" haggis. I just doubted my ability to eat a plate full. 40 years of primarily American cuisine doesn't really prepare you for a dish of animal organs stuffed into a stomach as a meal. You should see my co-workers when I devour a liverwurst and onion sandwich. I love that stuff but they can't even stand the smell. Their loss.

I'd try it though. Just PLEASE have that double quarter pounder ready to go!  ;D

That sounds awful much like a challenge to me. Get yourself over to Scotland sometime soon and we will give it a try. Welcome for you here anytime buddy. And thanks for the debate. Its threads like this that make this site and its members so special.  O0