Author Topic: 20 years old and receding fast  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
20 years old and receding fast
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »
Hi everyone!  First off I want to say that I've been reading different posts and you guys are the nicest, most genuine people I have never met.  I wish I could live in one big city with you guys.  Now for my dilemma.  I'm 20 years old and have been losing hair quite rapidly over the past 6 months.  It's definitely inherited because almost every guy in my family is bald.  They all do the horseshoe thing but let me tell you, I don't think I can live with that.  I've heard my type of hair loss referred to as a "lightning strike."  They say you go through the five stages but lets just say I didn't have time to complete one and start the other one.  They are all hitting at once, everyday being different.  I constantly am seeing the white little follicles with hairs attached to them.  I figure i have to get used to it but when I get some confidence to take my hat off, I get laughs from my "Friends" and everyone else in the room.  I have yet to come into contact with any other guy losing his hair and am having the hardest time coping with this and I know its not like I'm sick or dying.  I feel selfish.  Maybe this was more of a venting thing and I have yet to get a picture up but will get on that asap.  It's just a matter of time before I'm a sly guy and I look forward to being a member of this community.

marty22

Re: 20 years old and receding fast
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
shave it off and ask questions later!

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum dude, I too am pretty young, just 21!!

Shaving your head will give you a massive boost to your confidence, because you will have taken control over the situation, your image will improve and with it so will your acceptence of the baldness!!

Ultimatly confidence comes within, but looking good will lead to your confidence!

You have come to right place for support!!   O0

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
dude , I know it sucks at first,,, but take control of the situation-> razor it off...
it will take time to get used to, but eventually you will living your life like it was meant to be lived.

btw welcome to SBG forum, here you will find good advice and guidance as well as other bald folk, including young ones like myself..

alittle secret, I buzzed my hair(clippers w/out gaurd) for 3 months before I had the courage to shave it. it is helping me to make a smooth transition.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
Sean ~  no "lightning strike" for me -- my mpb was more gradual, so our experiences don't exactly parallel.  However, I can encourage you to make the move to Sly.  I see mpb as a little cross section of life.  In life, we're dealt a series of hands which we don't really have the power to change.  What we can change is our attitude and course of action.  It is a CHOICE, and we do have power over choices in the way we respond or react.  We can grieve, we can moan, we can let the hand we're dealt define us.  Or we can adapt, and CHOOSE to have an attitude that lets us get on with life.  

If a guy is content with a combover, horseshoe, implants or a rug, more power to him.  It's HIS CHOICE.  But for me, MY CHOICE, and my contentment, is exemplified by CHOOSING to be bald and not balding.  Choosing to be a bald man removes the power of mpb and the conventions of society that suggest losing one's hair is a terrible thing for a man.  Every day each of us shaves his head, we disprove that ridiculous notion and PROVE that hair is not everything.  

I think you will find going Sly a complete liberation.  And as you are one of many mpb guys in your family, it's likely that you will show the way by example to the wonderful freedom from concerns about hair.  

Post up a pic soon, and good luck!

Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
Sean, my young friend, perhaps it is time to take the bull by the horns!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sean !!     O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:25:30 PM »
The wisecracks always stop once your head is shaved.  You know what you have to do.  It takes a little time to come to terms with it, but once you take the bull by the horns, as the others suggested, it gets a lot easier.  Keep visiting this site to get all the encouragement you need.

marty22

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
welcome. when you're ready, you will do it.

Offline daran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
Welcome to SBG... I also struggled with shaving my head but it was the best thing I ever did.   I get lots of compliments and I am now seeing three different women...that never happened before I shaved my head...Good luck

shinyinflorida

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Hello and welcome.  I am fairly new to this site.  However, I have really enjoyed reading the other posts and the "expert" advice.

I was 17ish when I first started loosing my hair.  My wedding pictures has this horse show going on and that is the only thing I wish I could change about it.  However, I have shaved my head for sometime and I wouldn't go back. 

I was very nervous at first and it was hard getting used to.  However, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
I too was scared of the rejection and the bald jokes like hey combover, what's up recedding hairline, etc.  I just told myself I would shave it and I did.  My wife freaked out at first but now she accepts it like it was normal.  Believe me, it nothing to be scared of. Most men fear losing hair because they will feel rejected but that won't happen and after you get over it, being sly will be a normal thing.

God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Sean! Just give shaving your head a try.... it will always grow back if you don't like it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
Look at it as a chance to reinvent yourself.  You can create a whole new look.

Offline RodgerDodger

• Super Sly
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 10:08:48 PM »
Now's the best time to headshave. This way you'll start the New Year off as a cool new you.

Rodger, Over and Out  O0

Enter your email address: