Author Topic: Older country music stars  (Read 6444 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
Re: Older country music stars
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
Well I think George Strait and Alan Jackson pretty much summed it up with this song O0

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
Course anytime a George Strait song or video comes on I still have to wipe up the drool from my wifes mouth after all these years :/O
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:33:10 PM by hammerdrill376 »
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
Well I think George Strait and Alan Jackson pretty much summed it up with this song O0

Love that song.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
And back in my BM days...that would be "before marriage" I had more than one night as described in this song. Man this song would probably PISS off feminists now adays   O0

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9m_OvYkoyeE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9m_OvYkoyeE</a>

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:56:07 PM by RazorX »

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »
Years ago I used to work as bouncer on the weekends at a country club in Myrtle Beach. One of the cool things was meeting some of the up and coming stars before they became big.. But one man stands out in my memory. His name was Vern Gosdin. He put on one hell of a show then after the club closed we all sat around with him and jammed till about 5AM. He was one hell of a nice guy. I also met Garth Brooks at the same club but cannot say the same about him. First word comes to mind for Garth is....arrogant!

Anyway..here's a bit of Vern Gosdin for ya

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 06:15:07 PM »
I also met Garth Brooks at the same club but cannot say the same about him. First word comes to mind for Garth is....arrogant!

That doesn't surprise me a bit.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9A2a5UqDWc8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9A2a5UqDWc8</a>

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 04:58:51 AM »
Years ago I used to work as bouncer on the weekends at a country club in Myrtle Beach. One of the cool things was meeting some of the up and coming stars before they became big.. But one man stands out in my memory. His name was Vern Gosdin. He put on one hell of a show then after the club closed we all sat around with him and jammed till about 5AM. He was one hell of a nice guy. I also met Garth Brooks at the same club but cannot say the same about him. First word comes to mind for Garth is....arrogant!

Anyway..here's a bit of Vern Gosdin for ya

Now THAT"S real Country music!

Thanks Hammer!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Is there a satellite radio service (XM, Sirius?) that has a dedicated "channel" that separates the older country music from the current?

I use Pandora and just set it to Classic Country.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 07:06:12 AM »
And back in my BM days...that would be "before marriage" I had more than one night as described in this song. Man this song would probably PISS off feminists now adays   O0

Loved Mickey Gilley. Remember "Gilley's Place" that was featured in that flick "Urban Cowboy" with John Travolta. Did you know that he and Jerry Lee Lewis are cousins.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9A2a5UqDWc8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9A2a5UqDWc8</a>

Got to be Loretta and Conway.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Not into country much guys. I recognize some of the names because my lovely wife listens to it. Prefer rock. This song is by a band called Alterbridge.

This song is for my Uncle who lived in Boston and who died last year (he wasn't really my Uncle. He was my dads cousin, making him my second cousin. But he was better than any real uncle could have been). After my father he was the second largest male influence in my life. Despite the distance between us the bond was unbreakably strong and, to me, extremely special.

When he died he asked that he be cremated in the US and his ashes be scattered here in Scotland. We carried his wishes out earlier this year and even now I am sitting here with my eyes full of tears finding it difficult to focus on the keyboard. I hope you all like the song. Let me know, and if you do, listen to some more Alterbridge.

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »
I never heard of Alterbridge. The song really captures how it feels to lose someone so special. Great tribute to your uncle Stephen.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »
I never heard of Alterbridge. The song really captures how it feels to lose someone so special. Great tribute to your uncle Stephen.
Band were named after a bridge ona place called Alter Road in Detroit.

Check em out on www.alterbridge.com
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!