Author Topic: How long do you stay smooth?  (Read 15171 times)

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
Re: How long do you stay smooth?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
I start to feel that sandpaper feeling after about 8 hours.  I'm lazy though, I don't really like to shave, so I only shave once a week unless I have an office meeting or something.
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
I get sandpapery after about ten hours on average, but it all depends on the newness of the blade and the time I shave.  Early morning shaves don't seem to last so long as later ones.  New-blade-shaves last about ten to twelve hours, but shaves with a week-old blade might only last six or seven. 8)

Offline shavedGabe

• Being you is the best way to go.
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • I know I dont look good with a smile but I try.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
for me  I wouldnt now. I shave at night because im not a morning person so I like to sleep in. But Im trying to get strength to get up so I can do it and know how long I can stay smooth though my area is under "the new look" under (shavedGabe) give me a holler and maybe I'll learn something or maybe you will.
outragously

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 06:06:12 PM »
about 12 hrs

cargoguy

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 12:03:27 AM »
I usually only shave every second or even third day. I find that the results are better and also because I work two jobs and sometimes only have time for a shower then bed in the evening (too tired to shave). I do notice stubble after 12 hours though.

Offline RATyson

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
Hello all.  New guy... both to this forum, and to being a slick top.

I must be some kind of freak... I shave about 5:30 am, and by 9am I have about 1200 grit sandpaper going on.  By lunchtime, I have visible stubble.

I am still new to this, and don't get a perfectly close shave yet... but it is pretty smooth.

I do have very thick hair, and a full head of it, so it is difficult to keep it at bay.

I shaved for the first time on Friday, and headbladed it on Sunday.  I am really liking the headblade so far... it is very different than a normal razor, that is for sure.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
12 hours...twice a week.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Hello all.  New guy... both to this forum, and to being a slick top.

I must be some kind of freak... I shave about 5:30 am, and by 9am I have about 1200 grit sandpaper going on.  By lunchtime, I have visible stubble.

I am still new to this, and don't get a perfectly close shave yet... but it is pretty smooth.

I do have very thick hair, and a full head of it, so it is difficult to keep it at bay.

I shaved for the first time on Friday, and headbladed it on Sunday.  I am really liking the headblade so far... it is very different than a normal razor, that is for sure.

RATyson, are you shaving with or against the grain?  Against the grain will keep it smoother longer.  Also the preparation will help with a closer shave, such as exfoliating and using a creme like Headslick.

Offline RATyson

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
Well, I shave from the front to the back in long strokes.  So, basically against the grain in the front, and with the grain in the back.
I am going to try both directions tomorrow, as well as the sensor 3 blades (I use a sensor razor normally on my face).
Even with that, I do get it pretty smooth.  I know I can get a closer shave with more practice though.

I am going to get some HeadSlick, and the HeadBlade shaving cream in the near future and see how that helps out.  I have heard nothing but good stuff about the HeadBlade products.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
With good prep, plenty of HOT water and an oil, glad to say I can stay smooth for most of the day, anything to 12, 14hrs or so.

Offline RATyson

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
Ok.. so I am getting much better with the HeadBlade, and I got some HeadSlick shave cream.  I am now getting a MUCH closer shave.

However... I am still ending up with stubble by mid day.  So I just shave every morning.  Not bad though, as I am enjoying the zen of shaving.... lol

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
I think my stubble ONLY grows while I'm sleeping.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »
I think my stubble ONLY grows while I'm sleeping.

I don't seem to have a whole lot of stubble when I first get up, but by the time I'm in the shower my scalp feels pretty sandpapery.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »
At the moment I am shavin every second day. Hope my head toughens up as my scalp was quite tender yesterday. quite sandpapery today but not too noticeable (mainly cos there was hardly any hair left before I shaved anyway- hee hee)
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
I've been doing a little experiment and it seems to support my long standing belief that if you can wait an hour or two before shaving you get the longest lasting smooth shave.  I have  also been trying doing the first pass in the shower and the second after getting out.  It's about the same degree of smooth, but again, the shower has to be after an hour or the stubble is back by noon, especially the "bad grass". 

Enter your email address: