Author Topic: FULL HEAD OF HAIR AND AFRAID TO SHAVE IT OFF!  (Read 11763 times)

Offline hotrn

• Sly Jr.
FULL HEAD OF HAIR AND AFRAID TO SHAVE IT OFF!
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »
I'M NEW TO THE SITE AND I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I NEED SOME HELP ON. I AM A 22 YR. OLD RN WITH A FULL HEAD OF HAIR, BUT HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THE BALD LOOK. I MUST MAINTAIN A PROFESIONAL LOOK WHILE TRYING TO PULL THIS OFF. I'M AFRAID TO TRY TO SHAVE MY HEAD DUE TO 1) I AM VERY PALE AND 2) I AM THIN AND I DON'T WANT TO LOOK STUPID. ANY SUGGESTIONS AND HOW SHOULD I GO ABOUT IT THE FIRST TIME?

THANKS!

There's a bald hearted dude waiting to get out!

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: FULL HEAD OF HAIR AND AFRAID TO SHAVE IT OFF!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
I'd say bring it down to a 1 or a 2, and see how it looks.  It's up to you if you feel completely convicted to shave it off.  If so, do it.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
I'd say bring it down to a 1 or a 2, and see how it looks.  It's up to you if you feel completely convicted to shave it off.  If so, do it.

Exactly what T2S said. Make the change gradual, rather than all at once. O0

Offline hotrn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »
I TRIED HAVING THE MILITARY CUT CALLED A 'HIGH & TIGHT'. I LIKED THE BACK  BEING ALMOST BALD , BUT NOT THE TOP BEING LONGER. IS THAT A CLUE THAT I SHOULD TRY GOING 'FULL FORCE' ONE TIME JUST TO SEE IF I WOULD LIKE IT?

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »
sounds like you already made the decision, man.  O0

Offline hotrn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
OK, I JUST MAY TRY IT. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT. NOW, I NEED ONE MORE FAVOR IF I CAN BE A BOTHER. SHOULD I LET MY BARBAR DO IT THE FIRST TIME OR CAN I DO IT? AND IF I CAN DO IT ,WHAT DO I NEED AND HOW?

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
I've never done the Barber shave before, but check out this thread: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=6949.0
You'll find some good info on the barbershop shave.

I'd say since its your first time, it might be a fun experience.  But you can also read up on guys' shaving methods, and use those tips.  You may try just shaving with the grain, since you have a full head of hair; less chance of irritation.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
You're not a bother, bro! Asking which razor to use...you'll get a lot of opinions. But I'd say for your first shave, use whatever you use on your face - but if that's a 3 (or more) bladed razor - even better! and a good quality shave gel. Just go slow, be careful and rinse your razor often. Rinse with cold water when you're done, and follow up with witch hazel, or something similar to close those pores. Let us know how it goes, and be sure to post up some pics! O0

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
Hey ther my soon to be bald bro!

I'm bald by choice too...

the first time I shaved my head was about your age...but that was 18 years ago..

when bald wasn't the norm by a longshot! ;) I had no problems then in my profession...you shouldn't now!

Dress professionally and the haircut (or shave) will only look better and very cleancut to those around you..

Go for the bald head bro...once you get the thought in your head..

you will NOT be satisified until there isn't a hair left on your head...trust me...

I've been bald for 15 years now...by my choice...you'll love it!

Go for the cool barbershop experience for your first time...nothin' as cool as goin' in and asking the barber to shave your head shiny bald...especially if there are other folks in there!! O0

Let us know how it goes and post a before and after!

Good luck...and don't over think it!

marty22

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »
a barbershop shave is no big deal...make sure the barber is a good one.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 12:35:37 PM »
Welcome to SBG , the bros gave you some good advice.... O0

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
If you have a full head of hair and have already done a military cut then you know how fast it grows back. Try it, if you don't like it just hide out for a week or two. No biggie.

(ps. Lose the all CAPS in your posts.)
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Tor

• Ride the World!
  • Sly
  • Bald Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »
Just do it  O0,,,,,,if you dont like it,,,grow it back out
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Offline hotrn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »
thanks for all of the encouragement guys! i'm off work tomorrow, so i may give it a try. i'll let ya'll know how it all turns out. i'm nervous as all get out , but once i get over it and just do it , i think i'll be alright. thanks again guys!

GASlick

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »
Dude,
I work in healthcare too, and it will be fine.  I am also bald by choice with a full head of hair.  Try it and see, you'll never go back!

Enter your email address: