Author Topic: Comments, put-downs, jokes about being bald  (Read 24061 times)

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
Comments, put-downs, jokes about being bald
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
OK, a Warhawk-like question for you...

It seems like baldness is the one physical characteristic that many people don't feel a need to be "polite" about.  We've been told since childhood by our parents, that its not polite to make fun of somebody because they are fat, smelly, buck toothed, big eared, etc., but bald guys seem to be considered fair game for comments, put-downs and jokes.

So, what has been your experience with such things since going sly?

Personally, I used to get a lot of comments like "getting a bit thin up there", or "your hair ain't there".  After I shaved my head, no more comments or jokes.

Anybody else notice something similar, or has your experience been different?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Comments, put-downs, jokes about being bald
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
I've never gotten many comments before or after going sly -- with the exception of older guys in their 50s and 60s, who always seem to be thrilled to see someone who is younger than they are and bald -- either because they are bald themselves, or because they still have their hair and think that is an accomplishment on their part. 

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:14 AM »
I have gotten 1 negative comment in 3 years. A very opinonated lady, whom by the way I hardly know, said I look like a skinhead one night as my wife and I were going to church !! Other than that comment everyone else has either said nice things or remained silent about the bald head.

slyatlast

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 06:22:06 AM »
I used to get 'em relating to my MPB. 

Now since going sly, I get nothin' but respect!   8)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »
One guy I work with told me I look like the Grand Dragon of the KKK. I told him I do have white sheets...but they are usually on the bed!
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
A neighbor known for being a grouch and who I've NEVER seen without a baseball hat on said "hey baldie". I smiled and said "nice to see you too". He replied, "sensitive?". I said "If I was sensitive I'd probably always have a hat on."

There was no response.

---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »
A neighbor known for being a grouch and who I've NEVER seen without a baseball hat on said "hey baldie". I smiled and said "nice to see you too". He replied, "sensitive?". I said "If I was sensitive I'd probably always have a hat on."

There was no response.

Well done, PoC!!!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

There was no response.

Excellent!!     O0

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
LOL.....good come back POC.... :*))

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
Good thinkin' POC.

I usually make the first joke.  Usually something about letting my hair down, or riding w/ the top off the jeep and the wind through my hair.

If it's someone that is in denial making the joke, I just look at 'em and ask, "So what is your point?"
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Will

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
I think this kind of goes back to the whole confidence thing again.  I never got any bad remarks when I was starting to thin.  I think it was because of the way I carried myself.  I didn't really let it bother me and I never really brought it up accept discussing it with my wife once in a while.  I only ended up shaving because I...Well, just felt like shaving to try it out.  I actually received more "bad" remarks after I went Sly.  Like a few joking name calls and jokes about the slick dome.  But they were mostly all in fun.  People will react to anything like that if it's something out of the norm.  Like for example, when I first shaved my head slick it was a shocker to most people.  So of course they're going to make some sort of comment about it for a while.  Whether good or bad there are going to be comments made when you do something "extreme."  The one thing that I really can't stand...Or the comment that keeps being made to this day is from my mom.  She is always saying to me, "Why don't you just try some of that Rogaine stuff that will help hair grow back in if you don't like the thinning instead of shaving?"  But what she KEEPS failing to realize is that it's not really the thinning I'm worried about.  That's not the whole purpose of me shaving me head.  I tried it once just to try it and liked it.  Yes, maybe I was more interested in trying it because I was thinning but the point is I didn't let the fact that my hair was thinning make me feel bad about myself.  She, and people like her, will never get it.  Oh well. 

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
Good thinkin' POC.

I usually make the first joke.  Usually something about letting my hair down, or riding w/ the top off the jeep and the wind through my hair.

If it's someone that is in denial making the joke, I just look at 'em and ask, "So what is your point?"

same here.  ill also tell them that they should be jealous, because i save money on haircare products. (neglecting to tell them that i spend a small fortune on razor blades....   ::))
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

(|8-)

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
I've noticed that people now tell me who they think I look like in the first two or three sentences.  (Phil Dalhausser, John Malkovich, Joe the Plumber.) 

Previously, when with hair I looked more like Alton Brown, people would wait until we were talking for a while, and then be more tentative about it, "Has anybody ever told you you look like...?"  Now they just blurt it out. 

Confidence gets confidence in return?

Offline Phil Man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »
I have developed a thick skin all these years due to the constant comments from my extended family members on my mother's side about my weight, hairloss, and any other physical imperfections they may find in me.

Heh, I never thought I'd find a use for them but they actually made me develop an extremely thick skin that's a very useful armour in the outside world  :/O

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 04:42:35 AM »

There was no response.

:*)) :*)) :*))

What a tube he was guys eh?
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!