Author Topic: Comments, put-downs, jokes about being bald  (Read 24062 times)

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
Re: Comments, put-downs, jokes about being bald
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 08:39:04 AM »
So far, I have only had two people give me negative comments. One in a joking manner, the other one, very malicious.  My neighbor upon seeing it for the first time, went into a tyrate telling me how bad I looked.  I thanked her for explanation of her displeasure and told her it was my choice and that I loved it.  Also that she better get used to it as it was here to stay.  Since then, we have visited but I notice a coolness in her so called friendship.  I always thought we were better friends than to let a little thing like hair come between me and her family.  Go figure!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »
So far, I have only had two people give me negative comments. One in a joking manner, the other one, very malicious.  My neighbor upon seeing it for the first time, went into a tyrate telling me how bad I looked.  I thanked her for explanation of her displeasure and told her it was my choice and that I loved it.  Also that she better get used to it as it was here to stay.  Since then, we have visited but I notice a coolness in her so called friendship.  I always thought we were better friends than to let a little thing like hair come between me and her family.  Go figure!!

.....what? dont you love it when people who have no say.... say something? they love it when you laugh at them after that.   >:D

sounds like she has a crush on youuuuuuuuu. haha
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »

<.....what? dont you love it when people who have no say.... say something?>

I like that line, Peripheral.

I've had plenty of folks comment, indicating they noticed the change from buzz to Sly, but I've not had any really negative comments.  There were a couple of 'em that said, "Where's your hair?!" or "What did you do to your hair?" to which I responded, "it's in the sink."

Most comments seem to be made out of curiosity, like, "Do you use electric or blade?" or, "Do you have to shave every day?" 

I get some good-natured ribbing about the shine and tell 'em I use Turtle Wax.  I have not had a malicious comment during my year and a half of Slyness.     

Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline Mr.Gleam

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »
Worst comment I got: a former supervisor I worked with when I had hair came to our site and when he saw me he playfully said straight out "Hey baldy!" and "It's not you!" I said "Sure it is, you'll get used to it." This guy is about 60 years old and a straight shooter and ruffled a lot of feathers with other employees but his comment didn't shake me. He actually jokingly messes with people that he likes but a week later he got sent to anther site for rude comments to others.

Best recent comment: guy at the gym respectfully told me that I looked intimidating. That's fine as long as I don't scare away the girls.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »
Mom told me that my head looked like her butt, I threw down saying "But mom, there's no hair on MY head!"
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 10:05:23 PM »
Mom told me that my head looked like her butt, I threw down saying "But mom, there's no hair on MY head!"

LMAO!

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
    !@!@
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »

:o that your mom has a hairy butt but  :*)) :*)) :*)). Well said  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
Well, a few years back, an older guy - with a horseshoe - completely just went off on me for having a full head of hair and shaving my head. He was so mad that I could grow it and I didn't want it and he wanted it an couldn't grow it. I honestly didn't know what to say to him. I listened to him bitch for a little while and just got up and left. I didn't really mind though, he was the type of guy that had to feel sorry for himself every chance he got, he always had a pity party for himself.

Other than that I just get guys telling me that they wish they could pull off the shaved head as good as I do.  O0

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
I've never really gotten any negative comments.  The occasional good-natured ribbing and that's fine.

Children, occasionally, may say something that seems rude.  A three- or four-year-old recently sort of shyly said to her mom (pointing to me), "He doesn't have any hair."  Hard to interpret that as anything but pointing out the obvious and my bald dome may have been a new experience to the kid.  Mom seemed a little embarrassed.

Most folks say nothing and the few who do comment are almost always complimentary.

Offline jmcmana

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
One time I was in a TJ Maxxx and a 3 year old girl pointed to me and said, "Daddy!" I smiled and her mother told me that the girls father had a shaved head, and she (the mom) thinks they're hot

I've heard cancer patient (which I usually reply with: "You probably know someone with cancer, do you really want to make that joke?")

I get Hitman and Daughtry references, which I don't mind- those dudes seem pretty cool...

I've had people ask me when I'm gonna grow it back- I usually reply with, "I wasn't really that happy with hair, I'm happy now"
"Get your shine on"

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »
"I wasn't really that happy with hair, I'm happy now"

Looks like that beauty sitting next to you is happy too!  O0
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
Prior to going sly I would get a lot more negative comments about my hair loss.
After going sly, which I am clearly more comfortable with, I havent gotten many comments at all. Ive either received compliments or no comment at all.
The one comment that did stick out to me was when I was playing basketball outside my
neighbor(who has a full head of hair and is pretty obese) said "nice haircut"...but it was said in a somewhat insulting way.
I took the high road and said "thanks, I love it"   No response.  :)

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Well, a few years back, an older guy - with a horseshoe - completely just went off on me for having a full head of hair and shaving my head. He was so mad that I could grow it and I didn't want it and he wanted it an couldn't grow it.

Guys like him ought to be thanking guys like you -- because without people who shave full head of hair because they like the look, the shaved head would just be a new version of the combover in a lot of people's minds.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »
Hows this one guys?

Had to pop in to work last night. Had just freshly shaved and was lookin particularly shiny. One of my colleagues said to me "I see you have just been for a short back and polish"  :*))
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!