Author Topic: Religon  (Read 55182 times)

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
Re: Religon
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
Michael that reminds me of one of my uncles through marriage, his name is Ron so everyone calls him Auntie Ron. In our area there are lots of Mormons, most of them go to one church that is normal church sized. They have 5 services a day because there are so many of them. Right now they are working on building a second church. They are always very nice. Also we have either Amish or Mennonites, I cant remember which they are but they run a bakery and have some of the best baked goods.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))
Yep, my wife is on the "nominating" committee.  It's the committee that decides who is on the other committees.
I am, as Lay Leader, am on that one.  It keeps me off the dreaded Parsonage Committee
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

GASlick

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »
As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))
Yep, my wife is on the "nominating" committee.  It's the committee that decides who is on the other committees.
I am, as Lay Leader, am on that one.  It keeps me off the dreaded Parsonage Committee

I'm a Lay Leader also and currently chair of Evangelism.  The only ones I haven't served on are Trustees, the people charged with facilities basically (you can't even change a light buld without Trustees approval - LOL - an exaggeration of course, but you get my point) and Finance.  Quite possible the two most pretentious and debated committees in Methodism.   Nothing like a dispute over money to bring out peace of love in everybody.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2009, 07:56:17 AM »
I often believe that we Methodists have a patron saint of committees.   I am on Igniting Ministries and Worship committee.  Igniting Ministries has one benefit, monthly meeting is at a fellow members home for breakfast.  This really can help with the thought processes and can help limit discussion when people's mouths are full :*))
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2009, 09:55:55 AM »
Dont know how I can have been a member for so long and have missed this post.

I am an elder in The Church of Scotland. This is a presbyterian church. I am deeply respectful of other peoples religions and ask that they are the same of mine.

Aye, the Auld Kirk!  O0  Played a big role in my family's history.  The family was originally Highland Scottish, which meant Roman Catholic.  Then my great-great-grandmother decided to join the Kirk.  That didn't set too well with the clan chieftain, so the whole family was given the boot.  They sailed across the Irish Sea and took residence in Ballymena, in what is now Northern Ireland.  It was there that in 1884 my grandfather was born.  He grew up there and worked at the linen mill before coming to America.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:57:49 AM by calbito »

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
Quote from: Paul
Igniting Ministries

Isn't there a law against that sort of thing?
I thought this brimstone and fire thing was metaphorical!

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »

I am an elder in The Church of Scotland. This is a presbyterian church. I am deeply respectful of other peoples religions and ask that they are the same of mine.

Aye, the Auld Kirk!  O0  Played a big role in my family's history.  The family was originally Highland Scottish, which meant Roman Catholic.  Then my great-great-grandmother decided to join the Kirk.  That didn't set too well with the clan chieftain, so the whole family was given the boot.  They sailed across the Irish Sea and took residence in Ballymena, in what is now Northern Ireland.  It was there that in 1884 my grandfather was born.  He grew up there and worked at the linen mill before coming to America.

Wow! He left the RC church to join the Kirk? That WAS brave
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Igniting Ministries

It is really a ruse.  What we do is burn heretics ;D
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
Igniting Ministries

It is really a ruse.  What we do is burn heretics ;D

I wonder if they ever thought that the "Igniting Ministries" plus the fact that the Church logo is a burning cross might be sending the wrong message?  ;D

On a similar note when I was a Lutheran the pastor told me that for his evangelical (i.e. reach out to the unchurched) worship service he would wear just a business suit instead of the usual white robe with the hood lest anyone think we were associated with the KKK.  ;D

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »

Wow! He left the RC church to join the Kirk? That WAS brave

Yeah and the strange thing about it is that as far as I can tell this was done during the "highland clearances".  Shows you how intelligent my ancestors were.  :/O

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »
I am a Christian and attend Oshawa Community Church.

Offline baldmandan

• Sly Jr.
  • brother in sly, brother in Christ
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
freshly-minted Christian! Riding high on God's love and so new i havn't even found a church yet!

BBCAlex

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Lifelong atheist here. Im also a leader in the secular community in the Research Triangle of NC.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:20:28 PM by BBCAlex »

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
In my 42 year's on Earth I have been: Catholic, jewish, Methodist, Presbyterian, MORMON, and am now an ordained Baptist Minister serving as a Minister to our church's disabilities ministry. 

Religion has ALWAYS been a big interest to me.The only three things I can't wrap my had around are Muslim, Hindi and Atheism. (with respect to all those) I don't understand Atheism the most, Atheism is "Knowing beyond all doubt that there is not and can not be s supreme being. which means if you call yourself an Atheist, you have studied at depth ALL the worlds religions and have proven them to be wrong through all physiological and scientific works." I told an Atheist friend that and he said "yeah, your right, I'm agnostic which is "The presence of a supreme god or entity is unknown or not understood by me".

Like I said, I respect all views, but those last three have be baffled and YES, I have studied them all.

Rev. Gimpy  :)
AKA Gimpy

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:32 AM »
In my 42 year's on Earth I have been: Catholic, jewish, Methodist, Presbyterian, MORMON, and am now an ordained Baptist Minister serving as a Minister to our church's disabilities ministry. 

Religion has ALWAYS been a big interest to me.The only three things I can't wrap my had around are Muslim, Hindi and Atheism. (with respect to all those) I don't understand Atheism the most, Atheism is "Knowing beyond all doubt that there is not and can not be s supreme being. which means if you call yourself an Atheist, you have studied at depth ALL the worlds religions and have proven them to be wrong through all physiological and scientific works." I told an Atheist friend that and he said "yeah, your right, I'm agnostic which is "The presence of a supreme god or entity is unknown or not understood by me".

Like I said, I respect all views, but those last three have be baffled and YES, I have studied them all.

Rev. Gimpy  :)
WOW!!!