Author Topic: Religon  (Read 55227 times)

Offline clipped

• Sly
Re: Religon
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2009, 12:49:04 PM »
I was raised Catholic, but switched to the Methodist Church, to be able to share that with my wife. 
I also was impressed by the diversity exhibited by this thread, by the respect exhibited and by the open-ness of many of those who shared their thoughts.  One other aspect of this site that I am growing to appreciate, is that while all here are here for some reason to do with their hair (or lack thereof), it's refreshing to have a forum where men so openly discuss their feeling and support each other.  That's something that I find missing in many male friendships.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »
I am Catholic and respectful of all faiths and spiritual beliefs.

adam_r_todd

Re: Religion
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
Well, I am a Christian and I attend a Assembly of God church.  I am very active in my church and I'm a vocalist on the worship team. 

My church has a few Sly Guys in it.  I will show you a few pics of sly guys from my church.  We have a bit being a small church.

The first picture shows my friend Glenn, who is the head of recovery ministries at my church.  The next person is Edd, the ministry intern.  Then there is myself and my friend Bubba, who is a member of this group and was visiting from Idaho.

The next picture is of myself and Atlas.  I have to say that while Atlas is close to 60, I am sure that being sly makes him look younger.

The fourth pic is Edd, Jason, myself and Caleb.  So you can see that we need to wear blinders where I go to church.  The shine can be blinding!   ;D

The third pic is myself and Ray, my twin vocalist on the worship team.

I go to an Assembly of God church too.  You're in good company.  I also sing on the worship team. 

Even if this thread is against the rules, I think it was a great idea.   Neat to hear others' backgrounds.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
I was raised without any religious influence. No one in my family went to church. One time I was staying the weekend at a friends house and they went to church and asked if I'd like to go so I did. After that first time I went quite a bit alone. I dont remember what denomination they are, its a United Church of Christ.

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
 I once visited a Methodist church in the town where I lived.  When the minister went up to the pulpit to deliver the sermon he suddenly broke up laughing.  Someone had left a note on the pulpit which said:"God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.".   ;D

Offline PORKY

• Super Sly
    • http://mypage.com/PORKMIEZTER
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:14 AM »
well i guess im a religous mutt i was baptised catholic went to the neighborhood Baptist church was kinda a atheist for a while and NOW i attend a nondenomanational church (scruffy/urban) its a come as you are JUSTCOME !most of us have either tattoo's or piecings , ride motorcycles  AND talk PLAIN english and ENJOY being there !  DO ALOT for the children and seniors
I'm a BIG cigar smokin,bike ridin,truck muddin,bald headed ,long bearded,tattoo'd, no sh*t takin, Southern bred, Tequila drinkin SUMANA BYTCH

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
Dont know how I can have been a member for so long and have missed this post.

I am an elder in The Church of Scotland. This is a presbyterian church. I am deeply respectful of other peoples religions and ask that they are the same of mine.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

GASlick

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
I once visited a Methodist church in the town where I lived.  When the minister went up to the pulpit to deliver the sermon he suddenly broke up laughing.  Someone had left a note on the pulpit which said:"God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.".   ;D

As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))

Pshrynk

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
I'm an Evangelical Atheist.    O0

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
I once visited a Methodist church in the town where I lived.  When the minister went up to the pulpit to deliver the sermon he suddenly broke up laughing.  Someone had left a note on the pulpit which said:"God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.".   ;D

As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))

GA should you not have set up a committee to agree you making such a statement  :*))
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
The Rapture was about to occur.  The Baptist held a revival.  The Catholics held a Mass.  The Methodist formed a committee!!

As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

SlyHigh

« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2009, 06:48:57 AM »
As a life long Methodist, I can tell you that's the absolute truth.  Good gracious, we have committees to set up committees!   :*))
Yep, my wife is on the "nominating" committee.  It's the committee that decides who is on the other committees.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »

I think even Neolithic man probably disputed personal beliefs. It's been going on for millenia, and probably always will.

"Gunga the Sun God is best..." "Noooooo!  Uga the Moon Lady is better!" [Clubs being picked up!] lol. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
My mother is a Wiccan High Priestess, dad is a Southern Baptist.  My family in law are Church of Christ. My uncle is a wonderful proud gay man.  I have a cousin who is the head of the Franciscan Order (Anglican) in San Francisco.  I am an active rebellious Latter-Day Saint with Buddhist leanings (Returned missionary to Hong Kong, Ward Clerk, serve weekly in the Sacramento Temple.)  I am also a Freemason.  Family reunions are great!  The great secret to bliss and harmony in our mixed up extended family is simple.... we love one another.  Humor is mixed in, jokes and teasing surround our holiday tables.  "Cast any good spells mom?"  "Sister Pam, what do you want for your birthday? Lemme guess.... brown socks?" "Uncle Bill, how's aunt John?"  "Hey Mike, found a second wife yet?  And while you're at it, where is the treasure?"  We chuckle... and we just simply love!  Life is too short to not love one another, and not be able to laugh at the human condition.  It is my belief that we are all spiritual beings having a human experience. :@`
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »
My mother is a Wiccan High Priestess, dad is a Southern Baptist.  My family in law are Church of Christ. My uncle is a wonderful proud gay man.  I have a cousin who is the head of the Franciscan Order (Anglican) in San Francisco.  I am an active rebellious Latter-Day Saint with Buddhist leanings (Returned missionary to Hong Kong, Ward Clerk, serve weekly in the Sacramento Temple.)  I am also a Freemason.  Family reunions are great!  The great secret to bliss and harmony in our mixed up extended family is simple.... we love one another.  Humor is mixed in, jokes and teasing surround our holiday tables.  "Cast any good spells mom?"  "Sister Pam, what do you want for your birthday? Lemme guess.... brown socks?" "Uncle Bill, how's aunt John?"  "Hey Mike, found a second wife yet?  And while you're at it, where is the treasure?"  We chuckle... and we just simply love!  Life is too short to not love one another, and not be able to laugh at the human condition.  It is my belief that we are all spiritual beings having a human experience. :@`

Awesome post  O0