Author Topic: My nice smooth bald head is gone ! ...Help !  (Read 22954 times)

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
My nice smooth bald head is gone ! ...Help !
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »
Hi guys. Well for the first week or so I was in all my sly glory. No irritation, no razor bumps, no zits.
That has all changed...my head now seems to have a lot of bumps and zits. I have stopped shaving completely until I can figure this out.
My routine...
clean with apricot scrub.
Edge gel on head in shower
Mach 3 razor
Neutrogena moisturizer and some headblade moisturizer on dome.
During day I place spf20 Natural glow for faces on...sometimes twice a day.

I dont use aftershave as I have always thought it would irritate my skin with all the alcohol in it .
I started putting stridex acne pads to help with the zits.
These arent really visible when I have a little hair but when I shave down they are pretty visible.
Also my head to the touch has a lot of acneish bumps that were not there before.

Whats going on ? I want my nice smooth bald head back !!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated...I miss my totally shaved head !

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: My nice smooth bald head is gone ! ...Help !
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »
Did anything change from the first week?  A new lotion or anything?  Sometimes certain lotions will clog pores causing breakouts.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

parksie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »
How often are you shaving? For me shaving every day is too much.  I have to shave atleast every other day at the earliest.  Yes the sand paper feeling isnt great, but it does cut down on the irritation.  Try using Aveano Shave gel the one with the "light blue" lid it is soy based.   I have not used the bald guys shave gel yet, so i cannot recommend that but it is getting high praises here.  I do plan on checking that out soon real soon!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
I didn't see a cold water rinse on there after shaving to close up those pores and lessen irritation DJ.  How often are you changing the blade?   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Didn't you recently use a Panasonic electric shaver?
Maybe that's what caused the outbreak?
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
Witch hazel helps keep the bumps at bay.  Be sure to use a generous amount of it.  It wasn't working for me at first, and then I realized I wasn't using enough.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:52:04 PM »
Everyone has different approaches to the way they shave.  Maybe it could be a case that you are using too much.  You have to remember that your scalp has always been protected by the hair.  You are now using all these different applications and it could very well be irrating your skin. I keep mine fairly basic.  Maybe you should try my method for a few days to see what happens...doesnt mean you have to always do it this way but it isnt going to hurt..

I shower shave, which to me is always the best way because you dotn have to worry about making a mess around the sink.

Take your hot shower and let your noggin get a good soaking.  Let the pores open up and stuff.  By the time you are finished with your shower, your noggin should be good to go.

I use about a nickel size amount of headslick shaving lotion ( available at walgreens, CVS and some Walmarts) I use the pump, and usually about two pumps is good

Massage lotion onto your head make sure all areas are covered. 

I use the headblade sp and start shaving away.  I do not pay any attention to with the grain or against the grain but I think I normally start with against the grain because i usually dont have that much grown as I shave everyday.

After i have shaved all areas smooth, I rinse with warm/hot water.  Once it is all rinsed, I do a finally cold water rinse.  This helps close up the pores.
Once I get out of the shower take an ice cube and rub it all over the head.  It feels really good, you should try it.
Towel Dry...
then I put on pure 100% aloe vera.  It gives you a good nice slick shinny noggin.  Then always use a good sunscreen if you are going outside...
This should help..let me know.

Timmay

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
I've been troubled w/ acne all my life, and I've learned that the best long term solution to avoiding the zit is benzoyl peroxide.  I get a 10% gel, and it goes on EVERY MORNING, after a loofa rub in the shower and a wipe down w/ hydrogen peroxide.  I also wash the dome every evening when I wash my face to take out the contacts.  Clean and benzoyl peroxide every day, it's worked for me for years, first on the face now on the scalp.  I rarely get a zit. 
'

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
I'm having the same problem. Before i went all the way down, my balding spot on the crown of my head broke out at the beginning of the summer when i was out in the sun alot. Like most newly shaved guys i tried to get some sun on my pasty white head right after i shaved it, that was a week ago. Today my head looks like it is going through puberty again. I got some bald guyz head wash and lotion today, hopefully that will clear it up. It started to "break out" really bad about 2 days ago and tonight it is starting to look better. I hope it's just getting used to being exposed to sun and everything else that what was left of my hair was covering up.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »
thanks fellas. I will give it a try...
I was using the panasonic razor for a bit and will probably alternate between that and a razor.
I definitely do not do a cold wash after. Nor do I use an ice cube.  I will try those things along with the aloe.
I was thinking *maybe* it could be the natural glow I am using as a moisturizer/spf ? (the one for faces is actually spf20)
I would imagine if I put that on without closing my pores that could definitiely be an issue. I am not prone to acne. My face is
clear and generally dont really have any issues in that department.  i will keep you guys posted.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:55:06 AM »

I was thinking *maybe* it could be the natural glow I am using as a moisturizer/spf ? (the one for faces is actually spf20)

It could be that you're allergic to it.  Also, even though it goes against the conventional wisdom, I'm much more prone to getting bumps if I skip shaving for a day or two.  Shaving every day seems to work better for me.

Offline Head Bald Guy

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »
This may sound self placating but it's not, it is based on feedback from MANY bald men. You need to feed the skin to make it better. Use moisturizing prodicts to make sure the skin is in its best condition. The Bald Guyz system will make the irritation and bumps go away. We use many herbal ingredients as well as our products are very light and not greasy. Start with the Daily Wash and Shampoo, then the Shave Gel and finish with the Moisture Gel. In a few days you will see a dramatic difference.

HBG

Offline Rafter

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »
This may sound self placating but it's not, it is based on feedback from MANY bald men. You need to feed the skin to make it better. Use moisturizing prodicts to make sure the skin is in its best condition. The Bald Guyz system will make the irritation and bumps go away. We use many herbal ingredients as well as our products are very light and not greasy. Start with the Daily Wash and Shampoo, then the Shave Gel and finish with the Moisture Gel. In a few days you will see a dramatic difference.

HBG

Nice self-promotion for your products, HGB.  8)

I've tried them. They work, but they're too expensive for me. Banana Boat aloe vera gel w. lidocaine works just as well at preventing razor bumbs and burn. 

Offline oldbaldy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
Stay away from the lotions.  Shave in the shower, wash your head with some type of acne soap, cold rinse, then throw on some aftershave (old spice?)

Offline Head Bald Guy

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
A lotion always leaves a residue which can clog the pores. Razor bumps and irritation is not acne so any acne preps should not be used as they are designed to dry out the skin. An Aloe Vera gel with Lidocane is designed to numb the skin as a topical anesthetic. The trick is to use light fresh products that absorb totally without residue.

HBG