Author Topic: I wear hair -- considering going sly -- but not sure yet as I'm overweight  (Read 8797 times)

Offline NWTRNR

• Sly Jr.
Greetings,

Just found your forum today and have read a couple of topics like this one. Here's my brief story. I got MPB in my early twenties, actually "won" a contest at a hair replacement place and got hooked on wearing hair. Fast forward now, I'm in my early 40's -- I order my hair units myself and do most of the upkeep, etc. Most days I'm OK with how the hair looks, and -- while I may be totally wrong -- don't think a ton of people know that I wear outside my family.

All that being said, I'm just sick of the upkeep and how uncomfortable it feels in hot weather. I'm not smitten with the bald look though yet. Also, while my spouse is supportive of whatever I choose to do, it's just been strongly suggested that I should wait and not shave until I lose some weight -- I'm definitely on the heavy side of the scale right now and need to lose about 70 lbs. to get back in shape.  So... not sure what I'm asking you all... but I'm close to just saying to hell with it, and shaving despite being overweight. But am afraid that once I do -- that the cats fully out of the bag -- as far as others in my life (co-workers, friends, etc) who may not know about my hairpiece. And if I hate the sly look on me, there's really no going back.

It seems most of you quite like being sly. Have any of you also run into/dealt with the issue of the bald look for someone who is overweight? I think perhaps being free of the hair might actually be easier to exercise -- at least be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:33:38 PM by NWTRNR »

[img width= height= alt=nwtrnr]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080717/sampb702d8c3b336d97d.jpg[/img]

GASlick

Welcome aboard.  This is a great group of people.  Hang around and check things out. 

We do enjoy being sly and I'm sure you will find a lot of support from everyone on here.  All I can say is try it.  If you don't like it, you can always put your hair back on.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Welcome aboard.  This is a great group of people.  Hang around and check things out. 

We do enjoy being sly and I'm sure you will find a lot of support from everyone on here.  All I can say is try it.  If you don't like it, you can always put your hair back on.

Slick is right on....and you will be surprised at how much advice and encouragement you get around here.....WELCOME.

I wouldn't worry about the relation to your being out of shape.  Embracing and enjoying baldness comes in all shapes and sizes, man.  I'm over-weight by 30....maybe 40 lbs.....when I shaved my head it actually FIRED ME UP to get in shape.   I've lost about 20 lbs since shaving the noggin.

Don't let your weight hold you back from at least TRYING it.   We have lots of guys like you who come here with the same insecurities of going for it.....and when they do, the vast majority like it and feel LIBERATED !!!

Give it a weekend....or a LONG weekend.  It will definitely look and feel foreign at first, but hang in there. 

I'll PM you some of my transformation pics.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The hair and the weight are two different issues and one shouldn't have an impact on the other.  The hair is the easier problem to deal with right now, so get that out of the way and then you can concentrate on getting on a program to shed some pounds.

Good luck -- and welcome to the group.  :)

marty22

Give it time on the weight and watch it. Over the last 10 years Ive gained 30 or so lbs. I deal with it and I work out regularly. True I went Sly but I never thought about my weight vs sly.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
I'm overweight and I look great! So will you.

BALDANDRE

Lots of bald dudes of all sizes here bro...

SLY is practically a "one size fits all"! Large dudes look great with a slick dome!

Go for it!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
I'm overweight and I look great! So will you.

Ditto!  :)

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
brother, I'm one sexy bald fat bastard O0 8) O:O

don't let being a big dude get to you, it ain't about that

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
brother, I'm one sexy bald fat bastard O0 8) O:O

:*)) :*))

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
NWTRNR, don't use weight as an excuse. Shed that expensive hair system and shave your head. You'll be lightening the load that's weighed heavily on you shoulders. And with that new found freedom you'll have motivation to lose some extra pounds.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
Welcome to SBG NWTRNR! I'm a big SLY bald guy myself and I look great! I put on 65 lbs over the past 2 years. Now, while I'm slowly shedding those extra pounds by exercising and eating healthier, my weight had no influence on whether to go SLY or not. You shouldn't let weight influence your choice either.

You've gotten some good advice here and I will concur that you should just go for it. It will lift a great weight off your shoulders O0 8) Stop spending money on that rug and invest in a HeadBlade, some good shave cream and scrape that thing smooth.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline NWTRNR

• Sly Jr.
Very convincing advice bros -- thanks for the input. You all are looking great with the shaved domes. It's 102 degrees today and I'm a lot closer to taking the plunge and ditching this rug. 4th of July weekend is a very long one for me, so perhaps I might do it then.

Anyone done any polling here on how many sly guys are MPB or just like the look? Since I'm very MPB, another question I have is how often do you all have to shave to avoid the MPB shadow? In my fantasy land I think that most people don't know I wear a rug, so want to avoid the shadow for awhile until I'm sly for a long time.

Another question, do you ever get a twinge of apprehension when you are planning to meet someone you haven't seen since your slyness?

[img width= height= alt=nwtrnr]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080717/sampb702d8c3b336d97d.jpg[/img]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

Since I'm very MPB, another question I have is how often do you all have to shave to avoid the MPB shadow? In my fantasy land I think that most people don't know I wear a rug, so want to avoid the shadow for awhile until I'm sly for a long time.

How much shadow you have depends on your skin tone and how dark your hair is.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people are not as observant about that sort of thing as you might expect them to be.  Most of us shave every day.

Another question, do you ever get a twinge of apprehension when you are planning to meet someone you haven't seen since your slyness?

Yes, in the beginning.  It tapers off as time goes by.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
I shave every day sometimes twice

I never got weirded out about others seeing me shaved, I couldn't wait for the reactions, good or bad it didn't matter to me, its what I wanted.