Author Topic: Update  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Joe442

• Sly Jr.
Update
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »
As promised, here is my weekend update.  Had planned on going for the buzz this weekend and I couldn't get an appointment Saturday with the barber I normally go to.  Yes....he takes appointments and so with my time schedule and my son's baseball game, I couldn't make it happen on Saturday.....and was disappointed!  So, I woke up yesterday with a mission and though I've never been to one of these places, I ended up at one of those foo foo chain hair salons.  When the girl asked me "what are we doing today?"  I told her that it's basically falling out on top and so I wanted to buzz it off!!  She seemed a little hesitant and I think I caught her off gaurd so to speak!  She went on to explain that maybe I should go in stages primarily because with my thinning hair up top, my bean was already tan but she said that if I went too short on the sides, my head would be white and wouldn't look good!  I wasn't reall worried about that as I figured that would be the case but I did take her advice and settled on a #3.  That in itself was a big change for me because my hair has never been that short and I like it so far, but as some of you have commented in my Intro post, it's not short enough!!  Consequently, I will be back in the chair later this week to go another round shorter and I'm going to keep taking it down from there to a stubble on the way to sly!  I will try and get some pics up as soon as I can so you can see the progress but I'm liking it so far!  And I even got my first headrub.....albeit from my 8 year old neice LOL.....but she was digging it and I think it looks good so far and feels awesome!   More soon.....

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:45 AM »
Hey, Joe.  I remember that I also never could get barbers to take enough off when I went to get my hair trimmed.  I finally just got fed up with it and bought myself a pair of clippers and did it myself.

Best of luck and please keep us informed of your progress.

Rick
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:16:07 AM »
Same here, my barber just would not cut off enough of my hair, so I bought a 0000 blade for my Osters and started doing it myself.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:24:25 AM »
I did the same...got a set of Wahl clippers, took it down past 0, then shaved...
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:39 AM »
I did the same...got a set of Wahl clippers, took it down past 0, then shaved...

Me too !!

Offline Joe442

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:08 AM »
I'm with you guys but I figured what the heck....might as well enjoy the transition.  I'll keep you posted on the progress for sure!  Thanks for the encouragement!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:56 AM »

Me too !!

First off, welcome Joe. Hope you enjoy the sly transformation as most of us have. For someone that's suffering from MPB (me included), "giving Mother Nature the bird" and shaving off what you have left is liberating.

I just got tired of paying full haircut prices for only a few minutes worth of work, so I bought a set of Wahl clippers and my wife cut my hair. For the first couple of years, it was with a #3 setting, then to a #2. Once I committed to going sly, I was buzzing myself with a #1 and loved it. It was an easy transition and glad I made this decision. I'm sure you will too. 

Again, welcome!
Schro
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:54:30 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »
the same happened with me.  you ask for a number one all over and the barber looks mortified as if they can't bear to do it.  each time I went I paid over the odds for something I was quite capable of doing myself, so in the end i bought my own clippers.  You soon get back the cost of them in saved haircut money!  It's easier to do your own thing if you get clippers 8)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:01:45 AM »
If you're feeling brave, take it down to a 1 1/2.   Barbers are usually more cooperative than stylists about going really short.

Offline Joe442

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »
I couldn't figure out how to quote on here but Schro, I got the #3 and it is liberating!  It's cooler already in this hot weather and isn't blowing around in the wind when I'm riding.....can't wait to take it shorter!

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
Barbers are usually more cooperative than stylists about going really short.
I agree. My barber took it down in stages over a couple months and was always eager, itchin' and willing to go shorter and tighter each visit. Once he started using the #00000 blade, I realized the razor and shaving cream were inevitable. He convinced me it was just as easy to shave it down to the wood and one day, just said: "Let me hit it with the razor today, buddy, you won't be disappointed."
It's really just a matter of 12-14 hours (for me) to get back to the #00000 length from completely shaved.
Good luck Joe. You're on the road to slick sly!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »
My old barber was an 101st Airborne vet and he knew what I wanted and had no problem with it....LOL

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
Hello, Joe!

As bros said you are the way to sly. Enjoy this ride.

Me too -I buzzed 3 month to no guard and then I did the deed and shaved.

Have a nice week. Glad to see you slick next week.

J

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »
Glad to see you're going for it Joe!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »
What is this "Barber" you speak of?

j/k welcome Joe, glad to hear you took the most important step, the first.

Its all just a matter of time now.

The only advise I have has been stated above, cost of hair cutter pro is greater than the clippers you can buy to do this yourself. its pretty easy to do and with a little help to spot check the back etc. you will be in business.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”