Author Topic: Electric HeadShavers....  (Read 19101 times)

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Electric HeadShavers....
« on: June 15, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
So those of you who use an electric to shave your head, do you still find it necessary to use a preshave oil or lube? I have a Braun 360 (8000 series), and they don't recommend using anything when you use it on your face. So I was wondering if the same is true for your dome. Actually, I'm not even sure if I can use that on my dome as I am guessing it's intended for the face. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Electric HeadShavers....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
I have a Panasonic Linear ES8043.  It is truly Wet or Dry.  I always use Pre-Shave Oil and sometimes use shaving creme or gel.  I just wash the shaving head under the running water frequently.  I'm getting razor blade quality head shaves using the electric.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:48:18 PM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
I have a Panasonic Linear ES8043.  It is truly Wet or Dry.  I always use Pre-Shave Oil and sometimes use shaving creme or gel.  I just wash the shaving head under the running water frequently.  I'm getting razor blade quality head shaves using the electric.

Thanks SimplyRed. So I would assume you can only use a lubricant with a wet/dry electric. That makes sense since you can wash those out.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

Thanks SimplyRed. So I would assume you can only use a lubricant with a wet/dry electric. That makes sense since you can wash those out.

Yeah, I would suggest a wet/dry anyway, cause that way you can use it in the shower as well and you get the water softening your hair at the same time.  I shave with a blade on occasion, but mostly I use the electric and I'll use this stuff called Proraso Pre Shaving Cream before then I'll just use my shaving cream and I always get that razor blade quality shave, like Red mentioned, without any irritation whatsoever.  I still use the Body Shop Razor Relief after every shave cause I've found it's a great aftershave for moisturizing and it leaves no oily residue.  I use the Panasonic ES8164.  http://www.shavercentre.com/canada/panasonic_es8164_procurve.html

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »
That is a mighty nice looking shaver, Fortin. Quite pricey, but I think it might be worth it. Especially if you get razor like shaves which are irritation free.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 03:26:37 PM »
Yeah, that's why I went with it, sure it was expensive, but in all honesty, it's been well worth it.

Pshrynk

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »

I use the same one only an older model -- I'll often use a headblade and then finish up with the electric BTW www.shavercentre.com is great to deal with
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:31:26 PM by Pshrynk »

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
Hey guys, I saw some stuff called "pre shave powder sticks" made for electric shavers. Anyone have any experience with this type of stuff? Is it worth it? I have a dry shaver, so I'm not sure if I can use a pre-shave oil/gel, but I was wondering about powder?
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:35:38 AM »
Because of the "thing" on my head I've gone to using an electric on my noggin. I'm using a Norelco 8140XL. Not the most expensive on the market but it does a good job.

I just use the Williams Electric Shave prior to shaving. The stuff is cheap and works well for lubricating and making for a closer shave.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
Hey Trucker, that's good to know. I havent been able to find the powder stick, so I'm gonna go ahead and use the Williams. How'd you find the shave in terms of irritation/bumps? Or was it a pretty "friendly" shave?
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:40:09 AM »
I don't get any irritation or bumps at all. I do follow up the shave with HeadLube which soothes and conditions the skin.
Mason

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:54:46 AM »
Good to know. Thanks  O0
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
You're quite welcome my friend.
Mason

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 01:06:02 AM »
I also use the Panasonic 8043 (alternate between that and the Fusion) and it does work good. I did find that it tears up my neck though so I just leave that to my Fusion.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 12:02:16 AM »
BJR

I use the 360 as well. I use Lectric Shave lotion let it dry, and then use the Remington shave stick. That makes the shaves a heck of alot more slick. The talc in the stick helps glide. Dont press really hard with the razor either. Just let it glide!! Booyah!
==SLY SERGEANT==