Author Topic: Trying to decide, need advice  (Read 7841 times)

Offline IRDSM

• Sly Jr.
Trying to decide, need advice
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
Hello.

I'm new to the forum. I'm in kind of a hurry because I'd like to get this done tonight, if at all (my hair is really long and I'm fed up with it!) I've been contemplating this for a while now, and would just like to get rid of this dang hair.

I'm 18 and still in highschool. That means I'm going to school tomorrow and I'd prefer not to look nasty. The issue is that I have a dry scalp, and as a result, dandruff. I think that if I shaved it tonight and got some high quality moisturizer it would look fine tomorrow, if it is bad at all once I shave.

I'd really just like to have to stop worrying about my hair. One of my biggest issues is worrying about whether my hair looks okay or not. I'm always afraid that my hair will be sticking up or something. I think that this will make me more confident. Also, summer break coming up so if I don't like it I got like 2 weeks left of school so by next year it will be back to normal and no worries.

So, you opinions? Will my dry scalp look really nasty? Would appreciate a quick reply.

My picture:

So what do you think? Good idea or bad?

Many thanks,

Dan

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
Re: Trying to decide, need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
Dan,

welcome to the site. Man just buzz it down to like a #1 or no guard. And see how it looks the rest is easy after that. And as for dry scalp, just use a proper moisturizer and you will be gtg! Try aloe.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
Hi, Dan.

Welcome to the group.  It sounds like you really want to give the shaved head a try -- so go for it.  There's no reason why you shouldn't.  It's perfectly acceptable these days and life's too short not to do what you want.   I wish I'd shaved mine when I was your age, but it was not a common look back then like it is now.

I think you'd look fine with a bald head.  Shave it and keep it shaved for the summer.  Grow it back in the fall if you want to but just be warned that headshaving is addictive and you may not want to go back to having hair.

As for the dandruff problem -- that usually goes away once you shave.  The razor helps to exfoliate your scalp, so there's no need to worry about that.  If you do need to use a moisturizer, it's much easier to apply with no hair to get in the way.

Good luck and post some photos when you've done the deed.

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:39:14 PM »
Greetings Dan,

Seems some of us have issues with hair growth:It grows too fast!!!Mine is the same way.Like Razor said,when i was your age,bald was not an option in high school.If you did shave it,you were an outcast or a "ruffian" or hooligan.  :Xo!
But it is fine now. Nick offered good advice:try a short cut and keep going.Thats what i did.
The dandruff will disappear.And as long as you moisturize it and take care of it,all should be fine. I bet you will look great sly!!!

And like razor mentioned:Please post pics.

Jim

BALDANDRE

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Bro go for it!

If you buzz it only...remember you still have to moisturize your newly buzzed head..

I say go for broke and shave it smooth..

that is if YOU think dudes look cool with shaved heads!

Keep us posted!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
I know this comes late...and you are probably already in bed....but I would say go for it bro.  There is no reason why you shouldnt.  Of course you are going to get some looks and maybe some pointing fingers at you bro....we all have....but you just stand on your own two feet and just smile.  SHaving your head builds your confidence, and everyone could use a little confidence builder.  If you dont like it....so be it....grow it back.  Like others have said...it is addictive and y ou will want to keep doing it.  WHen you first shave you may feel like your scalp is numb....its not actually..it is just experiencing things a little different.  THat feeling will soon pass....I have been a headshaver now for a year and I dont see in the near future me growing it back.  The dandruff will go away from wht I have heard.  I never had that problem....but they all swear by it.  As always ..we are here for you all the way bro...any questions feel free to ask...no question is a dumb question.
TImmay

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
irdsm:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  this is the perfect time 2 "do the deed" because it's summertime!  also... anytime one has thoughts of shaving their dome... one will never B satisfied until he or she satisfy their thoughts by shaving their noggin' smoooooth.  besides, it's just hair.  it will grow back & if U don't like it, atleast U have tried it out.  so... i say "life is short.  go 4 it, brah!"  keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness.  buzz it down with some clippers or let the barber do it & get a quality razor & "scrape" that noggin'  smooooth. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:27 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  These guys have given you some great advice.  Go for it!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline IRDSM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »
Sup?

;D

All that from this ungodly mess:

That took a long time lol. About 2 hours and 45 minutes. I started out with a simple buzz cut, but the crappy razor I was using ran out f batteries! So I had 2 choices: Go to school with the front of my hair buzzed and the back long, or shave it! Hard one, huh?  :/O The various stages of baldness up to full is quite hilarious actually lol. It took forever because my razor needed to be cleaned out every 3 seconds. That gillete fusion is a great blade (I was pretty rough and only nicked myself behind the ear once) but it clogs up sooo easy. I made sure that all the hair was gone, even going against the grain all the way around. I spent 20 minutes after I was done rubbing my head feeling for even the slightest roughness.

So now how do I like it? I love it. I think it looks great, and it feels refreshing. My scalp feels weird, some parts are tingly, other parts burn a little, other parts a bit itchy, but I'd expect that after te rough treatment my head just got. I'm sure it will feel much better later on. I'm going to have to get some sun lotion, because I don't tan on any part of my body: I burn. And I'm sure my scalp, which hasn't seen the light of day for 18 years, is the same way (over 50% Irish, yay  :-\ ). But all in all that was probably one of the best things I've decided to do in the last few years. My mom thinks bald people are ugly and was against it all the way, but she said I could do whatever the heck I wanted, its my head. We will see how the peeps react in school, but I don't really care much either way (not really the popular type lol). My head feels so weird, kind of like leather or pigskin. Will it get smoother later or will it kind of stay like this? I'd prefer it a bit smoother....Oh well, later  ;)

Dan

Oh man, those pics aren't very good lol. I suck with cameras :P

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »
Dan, it looks great!  With practice you'll be able to get around the ears without cutting yourself.  Also, it will be easier to shave it now that it's already shaved.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:27:42 PM »
Awesome Dan!

Bro...so cool you had the b@lls to go and shave your completely bald!  Looks good...and in time you wont get nicks...and yea it does get smooth and a lot quicker and easier to shave!

Welcome to the SLY world my newly balded brutha...

wait till the new found confidence and attitude kicks in! O0

Awesome bro..it's a cool feeling being a bald guy now, uh?!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:29:26 PM by BALDANDRE »

Offline IRDSM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »
yeah, it feels great! I can't stop feeling my head...it's so alien....I never knew it had so many bumps and indentation lol. Actually looking it over I have quite a few cuts on my forehead area. Not real big and they'll be gone by this morning. The one on my ear is real big. I think it is because I was working so hard to get all the hair off (it was stubborn!) that I cut myself. I think it will be a lot easier from now on now that it is gone. I feel the need to use moisturizer on my head every 30 minutes now lol. I'm gonna stop using it more than once a day tomorrow, but I have a feeling that if I don't moisturize alot tonight its gonna get wicked dry. I should be asleep but I just can't. Between having a bit too much caffeine and this buzz I got from the baldness I just can't sleep!

Dan

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »
Dan, congrats on taking the plunge bro!  I'd say you did a great job for your 1st time - it will be a whole lot easier now that you've shaved it for the first time.  Looks good.  You may not sleep at all tonight - that's normal... we all go through that exhiliration!  Congratulations once again, and by the way, did you notice in your sly pics how much you're smiling?  Seems to me you're quite pleased that you finally satisfied that urge to go sly.  Now be proud of it man and don't let people's comments get to you - it's your hair!  Hope you stick around.  Some of the lurkers on this site could learn alot from you.  Good luck.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:15:24 AM »
Congratulations, Dan.  It looks terrific.   O0  As everyone has said, it will be easier to shave from now on now that the bulk of the hair is gone.  Let us know what kind of reactions you get at school. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:49:20 AM »
Looks great Dan! Don't worry about those cuts and nicks..... practice will help you to perfect your shaving skills.

Let us know how your classmates react.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields