Author Topic: Editing posts, and reputation.  (Read 12998 times)

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
Editing posts, and reputation.
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:49 AM »
Once you hit submit on a new post - is it in stone?

If you are able to edit your original post - I just haven't figured out how yet ???

Also - is there a reputation for each user on this forum - other than just how many posts they have?

I like the way you've got things going here - but those are two things I frequently use on the other forum so I'm "used" to using them.

I'm still very new here, so to me I can adjust to anything as I love this forum already!!!

If you are interested in how the other forum works I will attach a link:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules.php?name=Jig

Anywayz - like I said - not trying to change things - just showing anyone who might care a thing or two I like about my other forum!

BB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:10:04 AM by baldbiker »

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
Re: Editing posts, and reputation.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:08:15 AM »
Duh... I just now have found how I can edit a post - got that one cleared up!!!  :*)) :*)) :*))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:10:18 AM by baldbiker »
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:22:35 AM »
You can add comments in the profile section. Go to your profile and click on Forum Information I think it is.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
I think many of the regular posters already have developed their "reputations".....sly.  8)

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
I think many of the regular posters already have developed their "reputations".....sly.  8)

Thats fine and dandy for the regulars...

But what reputation has been built with someone who comes to this forum for the first time? I've only been here a few days, and I do recognize faces (avatars,) but I can't imagine that I've even seen a small percentage of those on this forum.

Reputation is good for new users - as it allows them to weigh/filter their decisions off of advice offered in the forums.

It is a good tool that I use on other forums, and just curious why there is no system for rep here?

I'm open to all feedback on this topic - and if you have another thread already discussing - please show me the way!

Thanks

BB

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
Not extremely tech saavy, and this is the only online forum in which I participate. So, is a reputation something that is maintained by the website? To me, a reputation is something that is more personal opinion than something electronically generated. I'm certain I have a reputation with some of the members that's pretty good. However, I have a feeling my reputation is not so good with others. Can't please everyone, nor do I care to try.

Not certain what it is you're looking for, BB.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
??????  why fix something that isnt broken?  I guess im lost on this subject.....i consider us all equal in here....i could careless about the number of post one has or what his status is....unless it says moderator or admin....boy you had better listen to those people...they will rip you a new one LOL..

Timmay

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
I've found that in other forums that allow "reputation" or "rating" it just devolves into cliques and board politics. As others have said, we've each built our own reputation here and you'll catch on as you hang out more.

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 02:35:01 PM »
Just another perspective on this...

There have been several of you that I would like to thank for the great advice - or great support you have given.

Now I could say my appreciation with a new thread, or I could send a PM - but it would be easier to give rep to that person as a sign of appreciation.

Either way - doesn't matter... I've found a new group that I love to talk to - brothers in the baldhood.. so, I don't care if we have it or not, but just thought I would throw my $.02 out there.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
BaldBiker, while I understand the theory of reputation that you speak of on the other forum, this type of forum isnt based on that. Like BootedBear has said, I've found on other forums that I have been on , this type of system tends to polarize people and you can have dozens of different cliques and problems that arise from them. Not saying this happened on your other forum but I think this would be a big reason why Tyler has set up this forum in this manner.

Bottom line is that we are all equal here. Tyler is head cheese and he has about 8-10 Moderators who assist him in managing this forum. For the most part(99.9%),we get along and rarely have any disagreements ,if we do, they are handled in a mature manner as we are all adults here.

Above all is our love for being bald. Glad  you are a part of it mate.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
I don't understand the concept of reputation as it is being used here.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »
I have used the reputation thing on other forums but they were mainly those that had thousands of people and trades, sales, etc. were involved. Just like post count, reputation tends to become a game with folks and not a give or take honor system type of thing.

I think around here you are just going to get a handful of opinions on a topic and the favorable opinion or correct answer will flush itself out.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »
Thanks for answering this everyone.  I thought about adding reputation when I first started the boards and I found mixed emotions on it from several forum owners.  I decided against it as I feel SBG should be more about helping the person who comes here and not about building a reputation.  I understand the value of reputation, especially on forums that have to do with matter of fact topics and very large forums.  Maybe as we get into the tens of thousands of members I will add the feature.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm always open to making this a better place and this will only happen faster if I get suggestions like this one.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
Tyler, I think all this chat needs right now is a buffet.......does anyone oppose??

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
You know I think we all know everyones reputation around here. I dont think we need to have a lil game like that. Everyone here has a great rep to me and I cant wait to meet some of yall!
==SLY SERGEANT==