Author Topic: Favorite band or musician?  (Read 16244 times)

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
Re: Favorite band or musician?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
welp I'm a HUGE music snob.  But when it comes down to it...

Opeth
Rush
Yes
Enslaved
Maudlin of the Well
King Crimson

generally anything progressively tinged and/or different.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
as far as Epic prog bands go:

Coheed and Cambria
Explosions In The Sky
Sigur Ros
The Dear Hunter

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »

Coheed and Cambria
Explosions In The Sky
Sigur Ros
The Dear Hunter

well, none of those bands are really very 'prog' at all, Coheed and Cambria kind of get mislabeled as progressive, Explosions in the Sky is a post rock band, as it Sigur Ros.  One of the things I dislike about the prog moniker is how over used and misused it is.  But that can be said about a lot of different labels... anyways Sigur Ros, and EitS are great.  If you're into SR and EitS your should definitely check out the bands Caspian and The Mercury Program, both I think are better than at least EitS who are a little overrated (still great though) haha but dont get me started on Coheed... oi vey  ;)

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »

Coheed and Cambria
Explosions In The Sky
Sigur Ros
The Dear Hunter

well, none of those bands are really very 'prog' at all, Coheed and Cambria kind of get mislabeled as progressive, Explosions in the Sky is a post rock band, as it Sigur Ros.  One of the things I dislike about the prog moniker is how over used and misused it is.  But that can be said about a lot of different labels... anyways Sigur Ros, and EitS are great.  If you're into SR and EitS your should definitely check out the bands Caspian and The Mercury Program, both I think are better than at least EitS who are a little overrated (still great though) haha but dont get me started on Coheed... oi vey  ;)

Sure if you are a Rush fan, I doubt you would probably consider any other band as progressive rock. I see progressive rock as music that continues in a certain musical and lyrical theme and direction, the interpretations are left quite open. there are a lot of Coheed haters out there but I've stuck with them since day 1. to borrow a phrase from our esteemed member TomGallagher,different strokes for different folks. I know the emo label has been seen as of late to refer to a whole slew of bands who are as far removed from the original emo genre as can be.

There is no other description apt for The Dear Hunter however, they are prog. no question.

I will check out Mercury Program, I've heard some of Caspians material recently and liked what I heard.

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »

Coheed and Cambria
Explosions In The Sky
Sigur Ros
The Dear Hunter

Sure if you are a Rush fan, I doubt you would probably consider any other band as progressive rock. I see progressive rock as music that continues in a certain musical and lyrical theme and direction, the interpretations are left quite open. there are a lot of Coheed haters out there but I've stuck with them since day 1. to borrow a phrase from our esteemed member TomGallagher,different strokes for different folks. I know the emo label has been seen as of late to refer to a whole slew of bands who are as far removed from the original emo genre as can be.

There is no other description apt for The Dear Hunter however, they are prog. no question.

I will check out Mercury Program, I've heard some of Caspians material recently and liked what I heard.

I take offense to that Rush comment.  This is the reason why I don't like talking about music with people, there are just to many people with to many different opinions and to many 'facts' y'know.

Definitely give The Mercury Program a listen, they're amazing.  O0

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
Hey I like Rush too. Geddy Lee is one of the first Lead Singers who played bass that I ever saw growing up. As a Vocalist/Bassist, I've always admired him.

And Neil Peart!!!I mean C'Mon!!!!Neil Fucking Peart. Nothing more needs to be said.

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »
Hey I like Rush too. Geddy Lee is one of the first Lead Singers who played bass that I ever saw growing up. As a Vocalist/Bassist, I've always admired him.

And Neil Peart!!!I mean C'Mon!!!!Neil f**king Peart. Nothing more needs to be said.

hey its all good, haha I actually meant the Rush comment as a joke, I guess it slipped my mind to put a smilie after it haha.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »
Wow, well, here is where I could go on forever!  For an absolute fav I'm torn between U2, Styx, Great Big Sea, Tragically Hip and Billy Idol.  But I really love any and all classic rock.

The Who, Boston, ELP, Trooper, BTO, Floyd, Doors, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Heart, Thin Lizzie, Supertramp, CCR, Eagles, Steve Miller, Steppenwolf, Frampton, Peter Gabriel, Foreigner, Neil Young, Alice Cooper, Kinks, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Hollies, Guess Who, Thorogood, ELO, Bowie, April Wine, Mellencamp, Nazareth, Judas Priest, REO Speedwagon, Jefferson Airplane, Scorpions, The Cars, Rush, The Band,  Golden Earring, Kim Mitchell, The Cult... 

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:23 PM »
I have never met a Canadian who didnt like the Tragically Hip.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 12:03:52 AM »
Yeah, but can you tell me honestly they aren't a great band?   O0

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
Yeah, but can you tell me honestly they aren't a great band?   O0

please refer to my comment made re: music tastes.

to borrow a phrase from our esteemed member TomGallagher,different strokes for different folks.

Tragically Hip were never my cup of tea but they do their thing very well and are revered in their home country of Canada. I saw them in 1999 at Woodstock '99 and was very unimpressed with Gordon Downies stage presence, he obviously didnt want to be there. But I suppose in a different enviornment it could have been a different show and performance.
Their ferverant pro Canadian rants get very tiresome to hear as they are known for being very resentful against US audiences for their failure to achieve any longlasting mainsteam success.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
My current new favorite band is "Death Cab for Cutie".
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »

THEY SUCK!

j/k, I've never heard of them....just getting back at you for your opinion on Jimmy Buffett.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:39:53 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »

THEY SUCK!

j/k, I've never heard of them....just getting back at you for your opinion on Jimmy Buffett.  ;)

LOL!!! My brother Schro has a long memory!! Must be all the vitamin C entering that nice unfettered dome! LOL!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

bulls_fan

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
hmmm this is a toughy. I can't say just one. I'll go with

Radiohead

Elliott Smith

Death cab for cutie ( although i don't like their new latest cd's)

Audioslave

aaannnndd

The shins