Author Topic: Phillips Norelco BodyGroom  (Read 11222 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Phillips Norelco BodyGroom
« on: December 11, 2006, 03:26:50 AM »
About a week or two ago I received an email from a PR firm that represents the Phillips Norelco BodyGroom pruduct asking if I would review their product if they sent me one free of charge.  Eventhough Sly Bald Guys is about bald heads, not bald bodies, I agreed to take on the task.  Heck, the product was free!

Tonight I finally got around to using the BodyGroom that I received earlier this week.  I opened up the box last night so I could charge it and read the instructions carefully.  This product is designed to shave EVERYWHERE on the body EXCEPT the HEAD and FACE. So, don't use this to shave your head!  Since the BodyGroom is designed to shave from the shoulders down, I figured I would test it's limits, minus my legs and arms.  Yep, the boys were going to go bald!

The BodyGroom is about 7 inches long and has 2 side cutting blades, similar to a side burn trimmer, and a foil shaver in the middle of them.  I guess the intent is to cut down the hair as you lead with the side trimmer and then shave the skin bald with the foil shaver.

Tonight, knowing the BodyGroom had a full charge, and I actually had the time to devote to it, I set off to be bald from head to, well...head.  I grabbed the razor and headed off to the bathroom.

I'm not going to give a play by play, basically because it took me about an hour to finally get to a point where I would even let my wife see me.  The product instructions said the BodyGroom could be used both in and out of the shower.  I decided that I would try half of my body out and the other half in the shower to give an accurate report on both. 

When I started out of the shower on my chest it because very obvious that I was not going to get the job done on dry skin.  I tried all 3 of the attachments to see if cutting the hair down in layers made it easier get my chest bald.  One of the main problems is the way the razor is designed hair gets trapped in an area right underneat the side blades.  This happens very quickly and basically renders the side blade useless.  This also causes you to have to clean it about every 10 seconds, which becomes annoying very quickly.  Though, this is the same problem if you use a safety razor.

Not satisfied with how the razor was performing in dry climate, I decided to move to the shower.  This quickly became a noticably worse idea.  Because the water matted down the hair, the razor could not lift very easily to cut it.  I tried various different angles, but none of them worked very well on my chest and belly.

I was dedicated to trying this on my boys because this is where the BodyGroom website http://www.shaveeverywhere.com emphasized the product should be used.  The BodyGroom worked much better on my boys than it did on my chest and belly, but it still left a lot of hairs uncut, even after several passes at different angles.  I only got pinched once while working down below and there was no blood, so that was good.

I figured the longer handle was designed to help reach spots on your back and shoulders, but unless you are a contortionist, you will really only be able to get an inch or two farther than if you used a safety razor without any guarantee that you will actually cut the hair that you reach.

Basically, the BodyGroom just doesn't cut it (pun intended!).  After trying to get as much of my hair as possible with the BodyGroom (45 minutes later) I had to pull out my safety razor and get the rest of the hair.  Otherwise I would have had little patches everywhere.  I found that my Phillips Norelco Cool Skin 7700 worked better at getting the hair than the BodyGroom did.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Phillips Norelco BodyGroom
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:03 AM »
i saw an ad for that yesterday. glad you saved me some money. thanks

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BaldRob

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:38:56 AM »
...and read the instructions carefully.

Now, this is where you screwed up... As a man, reading of the instructions is not only not required, but also illegal!  In some small countries, you could be arrested and jailed for life for reading the instructions.   :P

Next time that you get a free product (think of it as a beta test for shaving gear), toss the manual, drink a 6 pack, and then try the new product!

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:08 AM »
I was dedicated to trying this on my boys because this is where the BodyGroom website http://www.shaveeverywhere.com emphasized the product should be used. 

That video on the website is great. I laughed when they showed the nuts.

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:15:39 AM »
I use electric razors to trim the go-t and keep off the back hair and I have come to the conclusion that electric razors never work well on thick hair. If I let it go too long, it snags, nicks and misses during the shave. That's why I try to shave about once a week.

Before you totally write if off, try it again in a few days because your hair is still short. You might have better results.

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:34 AM »
Also, I would suggest shaving after a hot shower becuase the hairs will be less greasy and will not clumb together as much.

(Of couse then you have to jump back in the shower again.)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »

Now, this is where you screwed up... As a man, reading of the instructions is not only not required, but also illegal!  In some small countries, you could be arrested and jailed for life for reading the instructions.   :P

Next time that you get a free product (think of it as a beta test for shaving gear), toss the manual, drink a 6 pack, and then try the new product!

Yes, true!  But this was going to be touching my nuts and I planned on keeping them for a while.  :-\  I didn't want to have to change the site name to Sly Bald Guys without nuts.  Doesn't have the same ring to it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »
I use electric razors to trim the go-t and keep off the back hair and I have come to the conclusion that electric razors never work well on thick hair. If I let it go too long, it snags, nicks and misses during the shave. That's why I try to shave about once a week.

Before you totally write if off, try it again in a few days because your hair is still short. You might have better results.

Yeah, I may give it one more shot as a groomer and not a jungle removing machine.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »

Now, this is where you screwed up... As a man, reading of the instructions is not only not required, but also illegal! In some small countries, you could be arrested and jailed for life for reading the instructions. :P

Yes, true! But this was going to be touching my nuts and I planned on keeping them for a while. :-\ I didn't want to have to change the site name to Sly Bald Guys without nuts. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

You would only be one SBG sanz nuts. Don't be pullin the rest of us into your personal hell. No way, not me sir.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:50:03 AM by PigPen »
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
when i got turned into a gelding i swore nothing else sharp near that area. it is all you T. ;D

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »
Hey Tyler - did the wife like the outcome?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

Yeah, I may give it one more shot as a groomer and not a jungle removing machine.

I resemble the "jungle" remark . Gotta admit, I have not had an inclination to shave off the body hair.  The future Mrs. Marshd1000 (hopefully I will find her soon!) will have to love this hairy, but bald headed sasquatch.  Any curiousity about shaving the body was satisfied when I had some surgery a few years ago.  Body hair growing back in is pretty itchy.  By the way, Yeti, is it ok that I describe myself as a sasquatch since you are a Yeti?  hehehe

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 03:26:30 PM »

hey noner. how do you reach the whole back? are you a contortionist or do you have a lay-day to do that for you?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 08:06:45 PM »
Thanks for reviewing this product.  I was actually thinking about getting one for my back and chest, but after reading your review I don't think I'll bother.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 08:26:58 PM »

hey noner. how do you reach the whole back? are you a contortionist or do you have a lay-day to do that for you?

Perhaps Noner is a contortionist with exceptionally long arms
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt