Author Topic: What R your plans 4 THANKSGIVING?  (Read 11228 times)

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Re: What R your plans 4 THANKSGIVING?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
I know we are getting together with my dad's relatives for sure as well as frying a turkey.  not sure if we are getting together with my mom's side until christmas eve.
bald for life

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
This year Thanksgiving is very up in the air. Our daughter and her husband rotate holidays and this year is at his family's place out of town.

We have always had dinner at our house for several years as we always had the room. My mom went into a nursing home this summer; we were hoping to be able to get her back into her house once more for the holiday. But this week she had to go to the hospital, with pneumonia. We don't think she will be with us very long. Dad died a year ago. (No sympathy needed, they were married 65 years and led good long lives).

Offline RodgerDodger

• Super Sly
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
ChallengeMe,

My thoughts and prayers are with you! I went through a similar scenario last Thanksgiving! Hope everything turns out OK for you and your family. O0

Rodger
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:48:48 PM by RodgerDodger »

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »
This year Thanksgiving is very up in the air. Our daughter and her husband rotate holidays and this year is at his family's place out of town.

We have always had dinner at our house for several years as we always had the room. My mom went into a nursing home this summer; we were hoping to be able to get her back into her house once more for the holiday. But this week she had to go to the hospital, with pneumonia. We don't think she will be with us very long. Dad died a year ago. (No sympathy needed, they were married 65 years and led good long lives).

your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
bald for life

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mum ChallengeMe,

If your parents were half as happy together as you & your lovely wife look in the pic you are using as your avatar, then I suspect that they were lucky folk indeed.

His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »
challengme...i justed wanted 2 let ya know that u & your mother will B in my prayers during this difficult time. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
Challenge, sorry to hear about your mom.  Dealing with family illness is stressful especially at the holidays.  Will keep you mom and your family in my prayers. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 09:27:12 PM »
Challenge Your mom and family are in my prayors.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
i have to work on thanksgiving, but at least i get holiday pay, i was born in canada but i live in the states, so i volunteer to work on thanksgiving so my american co-workers can have the day off.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
i have to work on thanksgiving, but at least i get holiday pay, i was born in canada but i live in the states, so i volunteer to work on thanksgiving so my american co-workers can have the day off.

Mighty respectable of you brother O0

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
Its one of those things we just don't do here, but I wish all you USA sly guys a good one whatever you do. O0

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »
FCB......Thank you bro...that is very thoughtful of you.  You are awesome. Thank you again

I think our Thanksgiving dinner plans have changed..not sure yet...but a good possiblity.  We have this State Park not far from my house..bout an hour or so called Spring Mill State Park.  Well within this park is an old village.  It has a Grist mill and everything.  Everything you would need to survive.  An old church, blacksmith, tavern, doctors, grocery, school etc....anyways it is back in the early 1800's and they are recreating a Thanksgiving Dinner from way back in the 1800's.   They will have people dressed in time period clothing and Abe Lincoln and all of them will be there.  So this could be an interesting day.  At $40 bucks a pop, it should be good.  So I will keep ya all informed.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 07:40:46 AM »
As of right now, my family's Turkey Day will be spent at my sister's, with just our immediately family. Usually, it is spent with my in-laws or my Dad's entire side of the family (we alternate each year). I am looking forward to a more intimate dining experience. Usually, it is pretty chaotic.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

GASlick

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 08:06:07 AM »
Wednesday, we will be with my wife's family.  They live about an hour away.  Thursday will be with my family deep down in South Georgia!  Nothing like that southern farm cooking to make you fat and happy.  Both of my Grandmothers are still alive and live on their own.  So, lunch at one then off to the other for supper.  It's a long day, but they are both in the 80s and I cherish every opportunity to be with them.

Hope everyone has safe travels.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
We're having Thanksgiving at our house, with my side of the family coming.  Then, Xmas having her family and again feeding around 30 people ...
There's no way to split the numbers in half and have some from each side?

When I was with my ex-wife we did that - split the numbers in half.  But, my new wife doesn't like the idea.  I've learned that some things are just not worth fighting over.  Whateva ...
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Enter your email address: