Author Topic: Male friends reactions to seeing you bald...  (Read 12881 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Male friends reactions to seeing you bald...
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »
Has anybody noticed a difference in the reactions from female friends/coworkers vs. those from male friends/coworkers. 99.9% of the females have reacted/commented favorably  O0   p!m* to my new look. However, it seems that most of the male reactions have been "so when are you going to grow it out", "doesn't that take a lot of time to do?" and "I couldn't do that."

1.Has anyone else come across this type of male reaction?

2. Do you think it is routed in the respondents own insecurities about their appearance?

Discuss...

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Male friends reactions to seeing you bald...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
I haven't come across that type of reaction with my male friends.  Though, I think the type of guys that would say that are dealing with their own insecurities. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
Well I went to see my tat artist a couple weeks ago and it had been a while since I hung out with him. He use to be sly and I was gonna introduce him to the site, anyway I got there and he had hair! I was like whoa! and he had the same reaction. It was pretty amusing.

Offline waliguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »
As I recall, I have FAR LESS comments as a BBC/shaved than prior.

Agreed, I think female friends do act more supportive/interested.  However, I don't care about the comments...it's a positive, confident attitude that always takes me forward regarding my personal appearance.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
1.Has anyone else come across this type of male reaction?
no.....all the male reactions from family/friends/co-workers have been positive atleast that what is perceived when they  r  in  my prescence.

2. Do you think it is routed in the respondents own insecurities about their appearance?
i haven't come across that type of reaction with my male friends.  however....i agree with tyler that people like that  r  dealing with their own insecurities.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
They're jealous you had the b@lls to do it bro..

seen it before...

You've got the upper hand on this one!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
I did get alot of comments when I first did it, like "Hey Curly", "what happened to your hair", cue-ball, baldie, can "Your pretty good at that, can you shave my nuts for me" etc. They kinda sting, but no more than any other male "bonding".

It was all in good fun and pretty much what happens to anyone that makes a drastic change in appearance. Just have to have a few good comebacks like "Sorry, did the stubble chafe your wifes thighs" or "and I am still better lookin than you" and be able to take it with a grain of salt.

I get alot of weak references now like "you look like ____Insert any bald celeb here_____" when I meet new people.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08:38 PM »
Nobody said anything ... or has said much of anything.

Male co-workers have made comments about shiny-ness after I started using HeadShade, one bald guy told me "nice look," others have only alluded to my SLY-ness.

One woman (who met me just before the summer) asked, "Didn't you used to have hair."

Otherwise, no female co-worker (who have seen me daily) have said anything.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
As many know,my going bald was done at work,in front of many people,along with 7 others.It even made the newspaper and tv.So that said,i had a lot of support from both genders.Most women have loved the change,my wife being the one that counted most.

As far as mens reactions:I have had more positive comments since some of them are already bald.AND.... i have been hit on by more men since too.I admit i have had quite a few of these since growing my moustache larger.I cannot understand it as i think of myself as a rather average guy.Nothing special.And not great looking  ;D
But since posting my bald pic on a few moustache/beard sites and such,i have received more emails  :)
Still...i find these complimentary,even nice.Anyone else had such a thing happen?
It isn't a bad thing at all.Just new for me.Even after a few years of receiving them.

In addition,not one woman has hit on me.No,i don't need it (married happily)but it would be nice for my self esteem  O0

Jim

Offline guvnor_12

• Sly Guy in Training
  • The Guv
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 05:51:21 PM »
well im of a slightly younger crowd, no co-workers n all that, still studying so this is Univeristy/College people but most girls tend to either respond with 'cool', 'nice', such...you know, positive short comments, wheras guys actually tend to want to talk/discuss it with many incredibly odd questions.
"Do you use soap or shampoo on your head?"
"Do you polish it for the shine?"
"Does ur head feel weird?"
"Do you have to comb ur scalp?"
"Does it not grow back???"
and i have had many a long conversation with guys about it. Girls, also tend to 'rub my head' a lot.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
I think I got more positive comments from females.  The males were either less inclined to give a compliment or were just intimidated by the fact that I did it and didn't care what others thought.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »
I think I got more positive comments from females.  The males were either less inclined to give a compliment or were just intimidated by the fact that I did it and didn't care what others thought.

as a rule guys don't tend to comment on other gays, else is may look "gay"

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
But isn't it a cryin shame that a man has to be careful of what he says lest it be taken in a "gay" way?A guy should be able to give a compliment to another man without the "gay"stigma attached to it.
Many make fun of the words "male bonding".Thats just wrong.Maybe thats one of the many reasons our world is so screwed up.
And another thing,how did the word "gay" come to signify homosexual men?Used to be it meant happy.

Sorry about running off topic.

Anyway,a man should be able to speak openly about most things.

Jim

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

And another thing,how did the word "gay" come to signify homosexual men?Used to be it meant happy.

I'm sure some of our gay sly guys could probably answer that one.  I am a fan of old movies, and it is very common to hear the word 'gay' in those movies where it means happy and light-hearted .  There is even a movie from the 1930's I haven't yet seen called 'The Gay Divorcee' -- Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  It is interesting to see how words evolve / go out of favor over time, as well as how new ones develop today, especially evolving from all the new technology.

How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
Seems my personal experiences have echoed many here.

I've had very little remarks from coworkers as few ever saw me with hair. I too am happily married but I agree with Jim, getting compliments from females does improve your self-esteem.