Author Topic: help for a relatively new sly bald guy  (Read 4594 times)

Offline charleton

• Learning the way of Sly
help for a relatively new sly bald guy
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »

If you've check the introductions lately, you'll know that I'm relatively new to the world of bald. Here's a question:

I do well shaving my head except for an area on the very top of my head, in front of the whorl on the back of my head. No matter what I do there, it's still pretty bristly. I've tried going back over it from several direction, and nothing seems to make a difference. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Gene.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: help for a relatively new sly bald guy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »
Be glad to make a few suggestions charleton, but it would help first if you describe your shaving routine. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline charleton

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »

Yeah. That would help wouldn't it?  ^-^

My routine depends on whether I've shaved my head the day before or not. If I have the day before, I do one pass against the grain, followed by feeling and touch up as needed. If I haven't shaved the day before I do both a with the grain pass (first) followed by the against the grain and touch up.

I use a regular double-edge razor (the same one I use on my face) and lather from shaving soap and a brush, also the same as I use on my face. The combination works fine on my face and most of my head, except for the area I mentioned.

Gene.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »
It might work well if you do this in the shower.  Let shaving your head be the last thing you do so that the hot water will soften things up and open the pores.  Use a good quality shaving jel or head lube...such as Headslick...it does a really good job.  Instead of a regular two blade razor I use the Headblade Sport...it is a triple blade .  I have found that more successful than a reg razor.  I have the same swirl you are taking about on top of my head and I have to hit it in every direction...also right in the middle of the neck area on teh back of the head....always a trouble spot...but I eventually get it. If you decide to use the Headblade Sport...go slowly and remember to only apply pressure to the wheels.  Start at the forehead and work you way to the top of your head in one complete pass. The blades go against the grain so just be careful. Then turn the Headblade around and work from the bottom of your neck to the top of your head in the back. I Generally do it in this order and on the sides..front of ear..you have to go up...and be careful around the ears...you can achieve a close shave around the ear if you use caution and just go with the flow.  Once you have it all shaved and smooth...rinse in cold water...and / or use an icecube. I use an icecube after the cold water rinse...works well tightens things up.  Ater all that is done...I apply just a plain Aloe vera gel to it ....keeps it smooth and shinny.  Good luck bro...but if you have any questions at all...please ask..that is what we are here for.
See ya

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:44:30 AM »
It might help if you add a exfoliant to your routine such as HeadShed or St.Ives Apricot Scrub.   This can help to get the hair good and soft and remove dead skin that gets in the way of a good shave.   I have an indent at the top of my head in the same spot.  After that I lather up and shave with the HB against the grain.  I then follow up with a Mach III against, with and side to side.   With this technique I am able to get rid of all stubble.  Hope that helps.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

X The Hierophant

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

If you've check the introductions lately, you'll know that I'm relatively new to the world of bald. Here's a question:

I do well shaving my head except for an area on the very top of my head, in front of the whorl on the back of my head. No matter what I do there, it's still pretty bristly. I've tried going back over it from several direction, and nothing seems to make a difference. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Gene.

I have the exact same problem.  I have found that using a double blade gets this area much smoother than a triple blade (no idea why).  Also, I go at this one area from every conceivable angle but have found that for me left to right gets most of it.  Also, I recently added King of Shaves Oil to my routine and it helped get it smoother for some reason...

I use KoS Alpha Oil with Headblade Headslick on top of it, and use Sensor double blades on the Headblade Sport (trying HB doubles tonight) and I can get it 99% smooth.  When I first began I was using Headblade Triples and I was getting it maybe 85% smooth (just that one spot ... the rest I was getting totally smooth).

Also, I tried the Mach 3 on just this one area after I have headbladed it and nada ... Mach 3 didn't touch a single bristle...

Hope that helps some...  What works for me may not work for you, but it's worth a go.  O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
Wow, I've never heard of any kind of hair that could stand up to a couple of swipes from a Gillette Fusion.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
Wow, I've never heard of any kind of hair that could stand up to a couple of swipes from a Gillette Fusion.

The problem for me is that I have a major dip and the triples don't dig in there enough to even touch a hair.  Double blades on the headblade is the only way I have found that works for me so far...

Offline charleton

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »

I have the exact same problem.  I have found that using a double blade gets this area much smoother than a triple blade (no idea why).  Also, I go at this one area from every conceivable angle but have found that for me left to right gets most of it.  Also, I recently added King of Shaves Oil to my routine and it helped get it smoother for some reason...

I use KoS Alpha Oil with Headblade Headslick on top of it, and use Sensor double blades on the Headblade Sport (trying HB doubles tonight) and I can get it 99% smooth.  When I first began I was using Headblade Triples and I was getting it maybe 85% smooth (just that one spot ... the rest I was getting totally smooth).

Also, I tried the Mach 3 on just this one area after I have headbladed it and nada ... Mach 3 didn't touch a single bristle...

Hope that helps some...  What works for me may not work for you, but it's worth a go.  O0

I will try the side-to-side passes and see if that makes a difference. So far, I've just been going back-to-front and front-to-back, with a little bit of diagonal in the back-to-front. Stay tuned.

Gene.

Offline nilagorilla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
7500 RPM Belt Sander O0

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:25:21 PM »
7500 RPM Belt Sander O0

Actually your not far off the mark, you can use sandpaper. Pick a grit that feels comfortable.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

jusbnme

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »

jusbnme

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
One method I use for some of those spots is stretching my skin just a bit.  What I mean is the spot where you are having the problem, just put your fingers on you head and pull one way or the other.  Whichever direction would be opposite of the way the hair is growing.  Then pass over it with the razor while holding it.  This will force the hairs out of your pores just a little extra so that once you have shaved and let go it should leave you pretty smooth.  The only down side to this method is that it can cause a little extra ingrown hairs.  Just make sure to use either some rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, or other product that helps with razor bumps when done shaving.  The Bald Guyz head gel is good.  Or just plain old witch hazel like a mentioned would help. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »
Try using a thin cream or gel to shave with.  Bald Guyz and HeadSlick are the two best.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.