Author Topic: Where did you fall on the Norwood Scale when you decided to shave?  (Read 9080 times)

Offline professor

• Sly Jr.
Where did you fall on the Norwood Scale when you decided to shave?
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »
I am now 8 days into the my first 30 and I can honestly say I am thrilled that I finally made the decision!  For the better part of year, I periodically did research on MPB / hair loss and when people decided to shave their head.  Many of the search results came back with the same type of results, referencing the Norwood scale and all the various medicines or hair replacement treatments available. 

As I reflect, it is clear that a large part of me was just hoping to find a site or reference article that stated when you get to this stage you should seriously considering shaving.  I knew I had reached a solid IV on the scale and progressing to a V which for me would be a clear tipping point to shave.  I am sold on shaving and don't plan on going back but perhaps others are looking at the Norwood scale and asking the question I was.

With that, I thought I would ask everyone hear where did they fall on the Norwood scale when they finally made the decision?

Finding this site has helped give me the clarity I was seeking and helped finally guide me to the decision I wanted to make, I am thankful.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:32:37 AM by professor »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Where did you fall on the Norwood Scale when you decided to shave?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
Full head of hair when I shaved it over 5 years ago. When I attempted to grow it back last year, there was a slight receding in the front.

I'm glad you have embraced the shaved look, it looks great on you! It's all about feeling good about yourself.

As a newby, you're probably looking in the mirror and thinking, I can't believe I shaved my head bald. I still do that sometimes. Most of the time I think, damn that looks good!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »
well professer,i dont know too much about the norwood scale,all i know is when myself or others are ready to shave we know it.when a person is ready to shave their head they know it inside.i personaly knew inside that my thinning hair and bald on top looked bad so it was time to get rid of it all despite what others may think.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
I am now 8 days into the my first 30 and I can honestly say I am thrilled that I finally made the decision!  For the better part of year, I periodically did research on MPB / hair loss and when people decided to shave their head.  Many of the search results came back with the same type of results, referencing the Norwood scale and all the various medicines or hair replacement treatments available. 

As I reflect, it is clear that a large part of me was just hoping to find a site or reference article that stated when you get to this stage you should seriously considering shaving.  I knew I had reached a solid IV on the scale and progressing to a V which for me would be a clear tipping point to shave.  I am sold on shaving and don't plan on going back but perhaps others are looking at the Norwood scale and asking the question I was.

With that, I thought I would ask everyone hear where did they fall on the Norwood scale when they finally made the decision?

Finding this site has helped give me the clarity I was seeking and helped finally guide me to the decision I wanted to make, I am thankful.
good question. for me, V or VI. it's been a while, so that's my best guess.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
I think I was a four, but since then, I think I have progressed to a five. Been shaving for over 10 years
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »
Never heard of the Norwood scale tbh. I just shaved when it felt right, I was well receded.

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:08:33 AM »
I was somewhere between a V and a VI. Glad I went sly!

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
thanks for posting the graph.when i started shaving my head i was at #6.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »
I started shaving with a full head of hair that had only started thinning that only I could notice.  Now, about 7 years later, I am a probably a #6.
SlyBeard

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
I'v never heard of Norwood until now. Looking at the pics, I was probably about a 2A.
The amount of hair I had wasn't a factor in my decision though. I'd been buzzing it a #2 for ages and thought to myself one day "Meh, why not shave it all off and see what happens?"
So I did...and I loved it.

It's good to hear that this site helped guide your decision. Nice one mate :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »
I didn't even know that the Norwood scale existed when I shaved. I think I was about a 2 as well.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
I hadn’t heard of the Norwood Scale when I started shaving also!  But my folks noticed that I was receding in my late 20’s.  By my mid to late 30’s photos showed a lot more forehead.  Plus I was getting a lot of hair in the drain.  I was probably a Norwood 3 when I started shaving.  I am currently growing my hair back for a season and I would say that I am a Norwood 6 now!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »
N1

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
Norwood 1

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Personally i would say 1 or 2. I began shaving at the age of 17 with no real signs of going bald i just wanted to try the look and here i am almost 6 and half years later. Occasionally i grow my hair out which is still thick and full with no signs of balding but always go back to my 'roots' pardon the pun