Author Topic: COFFEE......  (Read 38310 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
Re: COFFEE......
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »
I just tried the Millstone brand Colombian coffee this week. I think it's very good and makes a strong brew. I actually use a bit less than the recommended amount.
If any of you are a fan of Colombian, you should try it.

J, I don't know if this will be good for you since you said you get the jitters. It is a good strong cup. Maybe you could try the half and half blends, it's a good way to cut down a bit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:49:17 PM by xnewyawka »

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »
We've been using Millstone coffee for a few  years and love it.  We get it at BJ's at a pretty good price.  We like our coffee strong, we add about 50% extra coffee (or even double stength if I make it).
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
Colombian beans are great. I will look for Millstone next time I'm in the store.

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »
I've never been to a dunkin donuts, I don't think I could live without Tim Horton's Bostom creme!

NEVER go to a Dunkin Doughnuts. They Suck Ass!!!!!!!!!

Dunkin Doughnuts is crap!!!!!!! Their Coffe is no good, and their snacks...........meh, they are ok, but not the best. Unlike Tim Hortons, they dont have a wide selection, and their Coffe tastes like they poured water out of a mud-ridden boot. That's right! Although, not just to diss Dunkin Doughnuts, nowhere in the USA that I have been to had good Coffe, ecept Starbucks, which is really good, although besides from ordering a specialty Coffe there, I would never buy a regular Coffe, because I dont like paying tripple the amount for the same frikkin type of Coffe that I could easily get at Tim Horton's, which has better Coffe than anywhere in Canada and the USA, and and also: American Coffe does not even taste like real coffe. Although out here in Canada, Tim Hortons is the best for Coffe and pastries, etc. although, Country Style comes pritty close. They are not all that bad. Although Canada has a Coffe shop which in my opinion is Dunkin Doughnut's equal: Coffe Time (AKA Crack Time) which no one should ever dare enter. and also: Tim Horton's do have the best Boston Cream doughnuts, and their French Vanilla's are very tasty. If I were an American, I would just splurge and buy a coffe maker, and a tin of Maxwell House Coffe, or Foldgers, they at least taste good.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:26:45 PM by R_McGarry »

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »
I like Starbucks regular drip coffee, its like a 1.25 for a large and it tastes good to me. I cant get into dunkin donuts or the like, but Starbucks, Seattles Best or Tully's are all good. 

I am not super picky with coffee though... I save the pickyness for wine, beer and whiskey.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

BALDANDRE

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
I like Starbucks regular drip coffee, its like a 1.25 for a large and it tastes good to me. I cant get into dunkin donuts or the like, but Starbucks, Seattles Best or Tully's are all good. 

I am not super picky with coffee though... I save the pickyness for wine, beer and whiskey.

Yup.... Starbucks for regular...and Seattle's best for the flavored varieties...

damn we are some Northwest boys forsure O0!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2008, 02:17:36 AM »
In Seattle, is there a Starbucks on every single street corner? Do they have Gloria Jeans in Seattle at all?

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2008, 07:25:45 AM »

Where is this Starbucks? The one in the mall where I work it is like $2.50 for a frikkin small coffee.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
CDM [that's for Cafe du Monde] dark roast w/ chicory--the New Orleans style coffee.  At home, cold drip a regular grind bag, the concentrate stays in the ice box, and about 1 1/2 ounces of the concentrate in some milk--no cream in New Orleans--and nuck for 2.5 minutes, just like the Cafe on Jackson Square.  Usually not more than 2 cups a day.  The cold drip really takes any acid out of the mix, and it's easier than French Drip or French Press.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
Sort of on topic...

I really like Starbucks' Frappuchinos -- heck, being a Java Junkie I like pretty much anything coffee-flavored. While I was taking some vacation days last week, I finally got around to trying to find a recipe to make them at home.

Searching the web resulted in a bunch of differing recipes, some of which were truly bizarre (goat's milk? you're joking, right?)

So I went all "America's Test Kitchen" on it and made a bunch of batches until I got it right. (It was hell having to drink all those test batches, but someone had to do it).

Here's the result that I'm pretty pleased with:

Home-made Mocha Frappuchinos

1 c milk
1 c brewed coffee
heaping 2-cup measuring cup of ice
3 T white sugar
3 T cocoa mix (not cocoa powder!)

1. Put it all in a blender and go to town.

Notes:
- I brewed the coffee on the strong side in a french press
- I used 2% reduced fat milk; 1% might work but I'm not sure about skim...
- The cocoa mix can be omitted for a non-Mocha variant
- Splenda works just fine in place of the sugar

Using 2% milk and Splenda makes this an inexpensive and guilt-free indulgence!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
In Seattle, is there a Starbucks on every single street corner? Do they have Gloria Jeans in Seattle at all?

There are Starbucks on every street corner in Ca too. I have not seen a Gloria Jeans here but we do have Tullys and Seattles best and Cafe Lerado or something that is pretty good too. 

Where is this Starbucks? The one in the mall where I work it is like $2.50 for a frikkin small coffee.

For the regular drip coffee? Maybe it is because it is in the mall? The ones near my house are 1.25 (it may be 1.75) for a large drip. Maybe because it is in the Seattle area?
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »
I have been spending a bit of time up here in Canada and there is a timmie Hortons every 10 feet, its ridiculas. I don't find anything special about Timmies, their donuts suck, their coffee is just coffee, no big deal, its good but its nothing special.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »
I have been spending a bit of time up here in Canada and there is a timmie Hortons every 10 feet, its ridiculas. I don't find anything special about Timmies, their donuts suck, their coffee is just coffee, no big deal, its good but its nothing special.

Who did you piss off to get sent to Canada in January?

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
I spent a 5 and a half weeks up here before christmas and I'm back up here again for about the same duration for work Lowes is expanding into canada and I have to set them up, somebody has to do it, and I guess I'm the lucky dumba$$. I was requested by all the big wigs and their project manager so I'm stuck.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
I spent a 5 and a half weeks up here before christmas and I'm back up here again for about the same duration for work Lowes is expanding into canada and I have to set them up, somebody has to do it, and I guess I'm the lucky dumba$$. I was requested by all the big wigs and their project manager so I'm stuck.

SO IS THAT WHERE I NEED TO SEND YOUR SHIRT AFTER TOMORROW?    GEAUX TIGERS

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!