Author Topic: Is Less Sometimes More?????  (Read 10099 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Is Less Sometimes More?????
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
That's question I've been wondering about when it comes to the daily care of my dome.  Today marks the 4 month anniversary since I took it all off for the first time.  Since then I have mainly used a daily routine of using either St. Ives scrub or some other type of similar cleanser.  I first began using the scub everyday and then I cut back to a couple of times a week.  I've also found that I have an oily scalp and have also used several products aimed at oil control.  In the past couple of weeks I began noticing that my scalp always looked somewhat iirritated and the skin just didn't look very healthy.  So, for the past week I've used nothing other than rinsing my scalp with both warm and cold water.  I think I've noticed a difference in the appearance of my scalp and overall skin tone and my scalp has been less oily. 

So, my question is..."Sometimes, is less really more when it comes to having a heathy scalp?"  and has anyone else noticed this same thing?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:44:51 PM by SLYinKC »

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Is Less Sometimes More?????
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »

In the past couple of weeks I began noticing that my scalp always looked somewhat iirritated and the skin just didn't look very healthy.  So, for the past week I've used nothing other than rinsing my scalp with both warm and cold water.  I think I've notice a difference in the appearance of my scalp and overall skin tone and my scalp has been less oily. 

So, my question is..."Sometimes, is less really more when it comes to having a heathy scalp?"  and has anyone else noticed this same thing?

Most of the time I just rinse with cold water and nothing else.  Occasionally I have problems with bumps and when that happens I exfoliate daily for several days (or perhaps an entire week) until they go away.  And then it's back to just cold water again.

I find I tend to get bumps on top of my head when I sweat a lot -- or if I go a day or two without shaving, as I occasionally do.  The latter situation seems to be less of a problem than it used to be, since I have less hair as time goes by.  For the most part, it seems to be gone, so there have been fewer bumps.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:36:26 PM »
Excess use of an exfoliant does have a tendency I found to dry out the scalp and compound the irritation. Using it 1-2 times per week is a good idea. Cold water splash has always worked great for me to reduce irritation after a shave.

Another tip I might add is to use a splash of Witch Hazel on your scalp after the cold water splash. This helps keep the skin tight and healthy looking.

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
?

I find I tend to get bumps on top of my head when I sweat a lot .

I've also noticed this,  it usually occurs in the afternoon, when I notice that my scalp is getting oily.  I found that it helps to just use a wet towel to wipe it down and it helps to ease the appearance of the bumps.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
Excess use of an exfoliant does have a tendency I found to dry out the scalp and compound the irritation. Using it 1-2 times per week is a good idea. Cold water splash has always worked great for me to reduce irritation after a shave.

Another tip I might add is to use a splash of Witch Hazel on your scalp after the cold water splash. This helps keep the skin tight and healthy looking.

JDog, actually I just picked up a bottle of the witch hazel a couple of weeks ago and I did notice that it seemed to help the way my scalp felt.  A bottle of this stuff just sells for about a buck but it seemed to do alot more for my scalp than the more expensive cleansers.  I just use a little of it every couple of days.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:48:55 PM »

JDog, actually I just picked up a bottle of the witch hazel a couple of weeks ago and I did notice that it seemed to help the way my scalp felt.  A bottle of this stuff just sells for about a buck but it seemed to do alot more for my scalp than the more expensive cleansers.  I just use a little of it every couple of days.

KC Yeah it is a really great product and cheap too. I use TN Dickinson brand. A great addition to the headcare products. I use it after every shave. I use it also on my forehead and face shave. It helps to reduce the bumps and irriation too from razor burn.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »
slyinkc.... congrats on your 4th month of being sly.  i celebrated my 4th month anniv.  about 2 days ago.  i guess we  r the same age in sly years. :D   i agree with u on using less on the scrub.  i prolly use it 2-3 times a week & just go with the cold water splash & ice cubes.  however.... i'm gonna try out the witch hazel.  and give it a test run.  so far... i've been pretty lucky & haven't experienced any bumps.  i've done my research (thanks 2 this forum) b4 i did the deed.  again.... slyinkc.... congrats on the 4th anniv.  u rock the look. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
slyinkc.... congrats on your 4th month of being sly.  i celebrated my 4th month anniv.  about 2 days ago.  i guess we  r the same age in sly years. :D   i agree with u on using less on the scrub.  i prolly use it 2-3 times a week & just go with the cold water splash & ice cubes.  however.... i'm gonna try out the witch hazel.  and give it a test run.  so far... i've been pretty lucky & haven't experienced any bumps.  i've done my research (thanks 2 this forum) b4 i did the deed.  again.... slyinkc.... congrats on the 4th anniv.  u rock the look. O0

WARHAWK O0

Thanks Warhawk,  Same to you also.  For me it feels alot longer than 4 months.  It just feels like this is the way that I always was.  Can't imagine going back.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »
For me it feels alot longer than 4 months.  It just feels like this is the way that I always was.  Can't imagine going back.

I think it probably seems longer for you because you look so natural with a shaved head.  I still can't believe the improvement from your 'hairy' picture.  You really should be the poster dude for head shaving.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
For me it feels alot longer than 4 months.  It just feels like this is the way that I always was.  Can't imagine going back.

I think it probably seems longer for you because you look so natural with a shaved head.  I still can't believe the improvement from your 'hairy' picture.  You really should be the poster dude for head shaving.

Well, Stew, actually the whole problem was that the pic wasn't very "hairy".  But thanks for the compliment, Bro.

Offline slickdome68

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
just say it's a metro~male habit, but I usually use a dandruff shampoo daily though I don't have dandruff, then use baby lotion to keep the scalp feeling soft.  It has been a six year habit and still doing it without any problems. 

Also no substitute for baby lotion...use Johnson/Johnson.
bbbzzzzz, the other sound that  turns a woman on , an electric shaver on a man's head.....Shave on dude. Shiny, slick, chrome, and proud.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:13:09 PM »
slickdome....wzzup.

haven't tried the baby lotion?  i might stop by wali-world or target this week & try it out.

WARHAWK O0

Offline slickdome68

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
whatz up...did you get the picture with the hawk?
bbbzzzzz, the other sound that  turns a woman on , an electric shaver on a man's head.....Shave on dude. Shiny, slick, chrome, and proud.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »
hey slickdome,

send the pic of the hawk in my e-mail, again.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 03:45:09 AM »
I think you may be onto something important.

I usually just shave, rinse with cold cold water to get that high shine naturally and it's all done.

Aftershaves, lotions, sunscreens, and pretty much any other chemical you use will have alcohol or some other thing in it that dries out your skin.

The only after-shave type products I use are Headlube matte and the Body Shop's newest tea tree oil overnight lotion, which clears up blemishes really well and makes your skin glow. Seriously, it will friggin' glow.