Author Topic: Just for Men beard dye sucks, but...  (Read 15201 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Just for Men beard dye sucks, but...
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
I used Just for Men beard dye in the past and found it to be pointless since it will wash out in a week or two.  I gave up using it, but I've been getting sick and tired of my irregular graying pattern and how the weird irregular hairs love to be the white ones that stand out like crazy against the dark ones.  I ended up getting a bottle of Just for Men hair dye and this stuff actually seems permanent.  I treated my beard with it 4 weeks ago and the brown is still brown.  This is the first time I've dyed my beard that I have an issue with the roots coming in gray since the other stuff washed out long before the gray roots became noticeable.

The way the hair dye works is that it comes in two bottles and you dump one bottle into the other, shake it up, and then squirt it into the beard.  The liquid is thick so it does not run out.  In contrast the beard dye comes in two tubes and you mix together on a plastic tray and then apply with a small brush.

When it comes to cost the hair dye is cheaper but is packaged for all of it to be used at once while the beard dye comes in tubes which makes it easy to use small amounts for touch-up purposes.

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just for Men beard dye sucks, but...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
I have had success with using hair dye as well, and you can mix equal amounts in a third container and save the unused and unmixed left overs.  As long as the containers are sealed back and it has not been mixed, it will last long enough for a second application.  I was using a ladies hair color that was lower cost than the JFM, and included a large quantity of dye.

I have since switched back to the JFM "Touch of Gray" hair (not beard) color.  I like the results better since it is not complete coverage, but it does not last very long.
SlyBeard

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »
Good to know

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »
Well I wish I could do it the other way round.  I wish I could make it all white instead of the multicolor and patches that it is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
Well I wish I could do it the other way round.  I wish I could make it all white instead of the multicolor and patches that it is.

Bleach.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Bleach.

If you like yellow.   8)

There are guys who bleach their beards white to play Santa Claus.  It's a pretty unpleasant experience and not good for the skin or hair but it can be done. Not that I recommend it.   ;)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
Peroxide?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
Right, bleaching your beard doesn't work.  It just turns yellow and BURNS your skin!

(Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 04:22:08 AM »
Not saying this is a good idea:

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:04 AM »
That looks pretty awful to have done, looks quite good though!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
So it's been about 6 weeks and the real Just for Men hair dye is still going strong, but the roots were showing pretty fierce so I decided to see if I could mix up just a little bit for touchups.  It was actually pretty easy, but the only problem is that I decided to get the light blonde since this stuff tends to dye darker than you think.  I mixed it up and it had hardly any color and really had no impact after being applied.  The process went pretty smooth however, and I project that a bottle will last for several touchups, but my color choice just didn't seem to work.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
I tried the blond for the same reason and found it did not work at all.  And the darker shades made my beard too dark, especially when I had to reapply it more often because it faded within a few days.  That was the beginning of the end for me.  It was just too difficult to get a consistent good result so I reluctantly just stopped.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 01:13:44 AM »
I tried the blond for the same reason and found it did not work at all.  And the darker shades made my beard too dark, especially when I had to reapply it more often because it faded within a few days. That was the beginning of the end for me.  It was just too difficult to get a consistent good result so I reluctantly just stopped.

Were you using the Just for Men Beard & Mustache dye?  If so that stuff is pathetic the way it washes out so fast.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 08:09:07 AM »
I tried the blond for the same reason and found it did not work at all.  And the darker shades made my beard too dark, especially when I had to reapply it more often because it faded within a few days. That was the beginning of the end for me.  It was just too difficult to get a consistent good result so I reluctantly just stopped.

Were you using the Just for Men Beard & Mustache dye?  If so that stuff is pathetic the way it washes out so fast.

Yes.  When I first started using it it seemed like it lasted longer. I don't know if the formula changed or if an increasing amount of grey made its shortcomings more obvious.  I had to reapply more often and it made my beard look too dark.  My beard is so grey now I don't think I could keep up with it. Mother Nature wins again.