Author Topic: I've tried everything... but I cannot get rid of the bumps.  (Read 7328 times)

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
I've tried everything... but I cannot get rid of the bumps.
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:51:56 AM »
The funny thing is, I don't get bumps anywhere else except for this little area on the back of my neck where my head and neck meets. I have greatly reduced the appearance of the bumps since I first started shaving my dome, over a year ago, but I just cannot get that completely smooth neck. The bumps seem to be confined to a very small area at my neckline, mostly in the area where my skin would fold if I raise my head skyward. Right in that little fold is the biggest area of irritation. I've tried a whole bunch of different products at this point, using lotion, gel, alcohol... but I still do not have the results I want. I'm currently using HeadBlade's ClearHead, which reduces the situation, as products before it have, but does not eliminate it. The bumps are not incredibly noticeable. The slight redness is probably more noticeable than the bumps, but the redness is because of the bumps. When I first started shaving I would get these white bumps, which I have managed to eliminate. Now, I just get this red irritation. I have a pretty good looking head otherwise, so I am just getting frustrated that I cannot solve this problem. I'm hoping someone here has had a similar situation that they managed to overcome and is able to share with me the solution. I'm desperate here y'all, I'd appreciate any help.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: I've tried everything... but I cannot get rid of the bumps.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
Cuzzin, first off, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

Couple of suggestions of the top of my head.  Try rubbing ice on the spot after shaving.  Try a product called Tend Skin (http://www.tendskin.com).  Check the direction or frequency that you are shaving that particular spot.

That's all I have for now as it's late and I have a couple of beers in me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:17:39 AM »
Tend Skin is actually one of the many products I have tried. It did work to reduce the irritation, much like ClearHead does, but did not eliminate them.
I exfoliate before every shave, I use an adequate amount of shaving cream for every shave, I shave against the grain (I just can't get the right feel or the look going with the grain, my hair is too damn dark and thick), and after every shave, I rinse my head in cold water. I do all this in the shower by the way. After drying off, I apply ClearHead and later HeadLube Matte. I actually tried the ice thing one time before, taking about three or four cubes, wrapping them in a napkin and putting them against the spot. All I remember from that is my neck was numb afterwards, as well as very red, though both of those things went away after a little while. I guess I can try the ice thing again since I did only try it one time. Also, as far as frequency of shaving the spot, I make it a point to run a razor across the area as little as possible, only once if I can help it. Really, I've tried it all, but I still am not happy with how that area looks compared to the rest of my head.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »
Cuzzin, I get these little bumps too from time to time. I find that shaving with the grain around the sensitive nape of neck area also prevents it from becoming inflamed and irritated thus reducing the bumps.

jusbnme

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 06:23:47 AM »
Welcome cuzzin first of all.  Yeah, as JDog mentioned, try shaving with the grain on this certain spot on your neck.  I get the same thing if I go against the grain at the bottom of my neck.  I don't know what it is.  Probably just a very sensitive spot for some people.  What I do, especially if I can't see when I shave in the shower now and then, is feel for where the main part of the stubble begins.  Like where the main part of my hair line is if you know what I'm saying.  Basically, feel for where the bumps usually are and start right above that area to go against the grain.  Then go with the grain downwards where you usually get irritated.  This should help you get rid of the irritation.  Another thing that may help is try not to use the exfoliator everyday.  Cut it back to about twice a week.  This can cause dryness which can result in irritation.  Also, like Tyler mentioned, the ice trick is a very good way to help reduce irritation after a shave.  It's also a great way to close your pores up to that it helps to reduce stubble. 

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:29:05 AM »
First off, welcome Cuzzin, glad to have ya with us.   If this problem has been persistant for the whole year, have you thought of seeking out a dermatologist?  As you say it is so localized, could it be a result of an inflamation from product laying in that "fold"?  I can get locallized redness and irritation which the dematologist said was a irritation reaction to detergent that stayed in that area.  Gave me a cream and it cleared up.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
cuzzin..... i really can't add anything else because the sly brahs have covered it.  but i will say:  welcome 2 the sly brotherhood.  glad that ya found us.  keep us posted & post a pic when u can.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »
Hey cuz,
Welcome to the sly guys, you will definitely find lots of help here.

I don't have to deal with bumps so far, knock wood, but what the guys are recommending sounds like a good idea. I agree with Lance on shaving with the grain.
I only shave with the grain and have had no problems in that area. I was missing a patch or so when I first started with my HB, but I am getting better at covering all areas now.
Just the sides are trouble with the HB, but I clean up nice at the sink with my Atra or Mach III.
Also ease up on the exfoliation every day, that could be causing dryness as Lance also said. I started using Bald Guyz moisture gel after my shave, and it really works; goes on smooth and gives just the right tingle and then absorbs nicely.

Good luck and enjoy the site!

Joe

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 10:06:05 PM »
Welcome Cuzzin
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:57:28 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes. Tonight I tried a combination of suggestions given here: I skipped the exfoliation, as I've been told exfoliating every day is too much; I shaved the problem area with the grain, while shaving the rest of my head against; and I used the ice trick. About the ice trick, are there any specific rules to go by? Like is there a certain length of time you should rub the ice on the area, and should you do it before or after putting on aftershave? The way I did it was as soon as I dried off after getting out of the shower, I got an ice cube and rubbed the area with it for about 60 seconds. Then I padded the area dry with a towel and applied my aftershave after (ClearHead). Is this an acceptable method? I hope one of these tricks gives me some results. The only thing I'm not loving is that shaving only the problem area with the grain gives that area a darker shadow than the rest of my head. You really have to stare it to notice I guess, but it's there. I'll see how it goes. Appreciate the suggestions.

jusbnme

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 06:27:51 AM »
Yeah bro, you did a good job.  The thing about the ice cubes is really personal preference.  I've went back to shower shaving so when I get out of the shower and after patting dry I go over to the sink and get the cubes.  I start at the base of my neck and just rub around until it melts away.  Then I'll get another and go to the top of my head and so on.  Also you're right on with the "patting dry."  That's the best way to dry off because you don't want to rub your dome with the towel because that could create irritation.  As far as the dark shadows go there's not much you can do.  Like you said tough, you can't really see it unless you really stare and get close.  I think the benefits of a less irritated neck out weigh that though.  You know?  The only other thing I could suggest is trying the baby oil idea out.  After I remembered it and suggested it to you the other day I started using it again and, WOW, what a difference it made on my dome.  I know for some people it will tend to leave the noggin too oily feeling.  But for me it's just right.  I haven't had any irritation or drying of my scalp for the past few days.  Which is good for me because my dome tends to be on the dry side no matter what I do with it or how much headlube or whatever else I use.  This would probably be a good method for any of the other sly bros out there that have a "drying" issue. 

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
If this problem has been persistant for the whole year, have you thought of seeking out a dermatologist?  As you say it is so localized, could it be a result of an inflamation from product laying in that "fold"?  I can get locallized redness and irritation which the dematologist said was a irritation reaction to detergent that stayed in that area.  Gave me a cream and it cleared up.
After trying some of these recommendations, I'm still not completely satisfied. The area is less irritated, but it is not as clear and smooth as the rest of my head. I've resorted to setting up an appointment with a dermatologist. Paul, what is the name of the cream that helped you? Just so I can ask the doctor about it when I go see him. Thanks.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Man cuzzin, its been awhile since I needed the stuff.  I will try to find out for you.  Mine was for the relief of rashes due to detergents, if that helps.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
First off, welcome Cuzzin.  Now to your problem.  I have the same problem but in a different location - just above and behind my ears.  It is really noticeable right after I shave.  I use the very same routine as you with shaving in the shower, cold water rinse, etc.  I don't know if I ever completely get rid of the bumps.  However, I started using a makeup concealer.  It's a trick my mom taught me years ago to cover acne.

I have some makeup (I think it's Merle Norman, if that matters) that is flesh colored.  I simply dab a little bit of the make up on the individual bumps and blend it into the skin.  It does a remarkable job of masking them.

Also, as I have learned in my 3 months on this board, I guarantee the bumps are more noticeable to you than to anyone else.  I don't think the makeup is a cure but it might be a solution.  Good luck.   O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline sifudave

• Sly Jr.
  • One Warrior, Many Weapons.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
Welcome to SBG, Cuzzin.
I too would think the dermatologist would be your best bet.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.