Author Topic: Sorry people another newbie needing advice  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Chris44

• Learning the way of Sly
Sorry people another newbie needing advice
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »
Hi nice to meet you all. This is my first post and i'm basically just looking for some guidance. I've been noticeably balding for the last year and a bit and to be honest I don't like it. I keep changing my hair from short to long to bald (albeit only for a very short time) and I just want to go bald permanently.

Like I said I have gone bald before by shaving with a razor. One of my main issues with it was motivation as strange as that sounds. When I shaved my head it took me ages. I wasn't determined enough to do it every day. I spent the whole day dreading it. I've heard people say they do it while in the shower. So my questions are: do many people do it in the shower and how without a mirror? Also do the majority of you shave everyday or every other day etc? Once again sorry for another newbie thread. Thanks a lot.

Chris

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Sorry people another newbie needing advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »
If you are young, a bald head makes you look older.  If you are older, a bald head makes you look younger.

As to shaving, it takes a little time to develop a technique that gives you a fast, smooth shave.  I shave every day in the shower without a mirror.  It adds 5 - 7 minutes to my shower at this point.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
Welcome, Chris! No apology necessary, that's what we're here for.....I can sympathize with the lazy part of shaving, I've gone as many as five days without shaving, but that's mostly due to a weird work schedule. When you shave without a mirror, it's just best to do it by feel. I usually like to focus on my head and take my time on the days I do shave, so I rarely shave in the shower. Once in a while, why don't you get a barber to shave it for you, at least until you feel comfortable in doing in on your own. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Chris44

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. I ordered a headblade and some headslick last night so i'm excited to try it out. When I did shave I was using a fushion and some ordinary shaving foam (don't know how bad that it is) and to be honest an awful technique. With the grain, against the grain, applying loads of pressure. I just couldn't get it clean so I was basically just forcing it off. As you can imagine my head was red with bumps appearing regularly. This along with a lack of motivation meant I left it to grow. So this time I want to do it properly and give it the best chance. Hence the headblade, which appears to be one of the most popular choices. Any advice so so I stand the best chance of sticking with it highly appreciated.

Chris

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
Be aware that mastering the headblade is not easy. I suspect that if you are already having motivation problems shaving, that adding trying to master a (to me at least, ornery and difficult to use razor) into the equation isn't going to help things.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I'd stick to razor that you are already comfortable using.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
P.S. I shave every 2 to 3 days. Not in the shower.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
I shave pretty much every day, at the sink after I shower.  I use a headblade.  It takes more then 5, less than 10 minutes.  So the time you need for shaving will definitely decrease once you gain more practice and proficiency.

Offline Hairloss BaldWin

• Sly Jr.
  • www.hairlossbaldwin.com
    • Hairloss BaldWin
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Hey Chris! Welcome to SBG.
It's because of that lack of motivation that it's called the 30 day 'challenge'... It's not easy, especially when you do it for the first time in your life and then have to do it for 29 days lol...

What i'd do if I were you (to start off) is just buzz it. Buzzing it everyday is quite easy, takes no more than 5 mins and it's a much simpler process unless you use the Headblade like Tobler1.

It's a transition you need to make. As ideal as shaving your head and sticking to it for life is, it's not easy and can work against your confidence... so in the beginning, just buzz it down regularly as short as possible and then from time to time, start shaving it..

Using the HeadBlade makes a hell of a difference though, so when you start shaving every day and are motivated to do so, keep it handy :)

Hope that helped, best of luck!
I started balding at 18/19 so I know what you're going through ;)
Helping guys realize that the only real way of dealing with going bald is accepting it and loving yourself unconditionally - www.hairlossbaldwin.com

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Hi Chris,

I shave at the sink, not the shower and while I am in front of a mirror, I use my hands to feel spots I missed. Like you, I don't want to take the extra time to add head shaving to my daily routine so I shave my head twice a week - once on Sunday night and once on Wednesday night. That keeps me looking sly for the week. I don't mind the sand paper-y feel and the slight shadow I get as I get closer to my shave.

When I was using a cartridge razor, I had gotten the time down to less than ten minutes. Now that I am using a DE razor, I take my time - partly because I want to avoid cutting myself, but mostly because the shave with a DE razor is very relaxing to me and I look forward to it on Sundays and Wednesdays!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
Welcome to the club, Chris. I'm another daily shaver. Like some of the others, I do it at the sink just after showering. I tried the headblade but found I kept cutting myself. My razor of choice now is a Schick Hydro 5. Don't worry about using a foam. That's what I usually use although I alternate it with a cream. You might want to try an aftershave balm as well. Nivea makes a good one for sensitive skin. As far as the shaving itself goes, I actually enjoy it. It's about the only time of the day when no one can bother me.

Good luck!
Hair is over rated.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »
Welcome aboard.

Shaving the head can be relaxing. Take your time and enjoy.

Just a point, i would say that being bald young or old doesnt mean it will make you look younger or older!! That is all down to genes!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
Welcome, Chris! 

I would say that if you let it grow out too much, you will most likely need to buzz it down with electric trimmers first.  This will make razor shaving easier.  After that, if you shave every two or three days, you will most likely be fine.  I agree with TheSlyBear in saying that you may want use a razor you are already familiar with first... or a regular style razor before trying to add the Headblade into the mix.  I like the Mach 3 better than the fusion for this, but some guys prefer the fusion over the  Mach 3.  No matter what razor you are using, don't apply too much pressure.. .this never turns out too well. 

In my opinion, the 30 day challenge does not mean you HAVE to shave every single day for 30 days.... but that you keep the look for 30 days... stubble is fine... but anything longer than that may need electric trimmers. 

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
Hey Chris!

I shave every day in the shower with a mirror.  There's nothing like feeling a freshly shaved head every morning.  As others have said, use a razor you're already comfortable with.  As far as gel goes, Edge is good for sensitive skin and I've heard Nivea is too. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

Offline Chris44

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. All your replies are really appreciated. I probably should have come here before ordering my headblade as half you are saying using it and the other half saying it might be a bit too advanced for me. Anyway I ordered some headslick to go with it so really hoping this will help? From what I can see is the only difference between the HB4 and HB6 blades the number of blades on the razor? So the technology on both is the same? If that is the case, what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks

Chris

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 04:33:31 AM »
The  # Of of blades is nothing more than advertising hype . If you notice every body uses a different razor what's best is a matter of opinion and the amount of hair they have left. Just start with any good razor and experiment from there.Starting with the head blade is not the easiest way but it's doable.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."