Author Topic: Shaving your head and the job  (Read 9324 times)

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
Shaving your head and the job
« on: May 20, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
Hi all

Just wanted to know if any of you heard of the workplace frowning on shaving your head. What I mean is having a policy that you can't shave your head. Now my job has no such policy obviously but a friend of mine was interested in shaving his head and was concerned that his job may not allow it. I can't imagine having such a policy but wanted to know if any of you heard of this.

Roger

Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Shaving your head and the job
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Years ago when I was working the street one of the guys I worked with shaved his head and got all kinds of flack from the COs. There was no specific policy against shaving heads but he was not well regarded due to some of his antics (I mean he was bat-$h!t crazy) but the policy was just vague enough that the powerful within the organization could twist the wording to suit just about anything.
Lately, though, I have heard of nothing of the sort. That doesn't mean it never happens. If a policy is written vaguely enough a sick administrative mind can use it to their advantage in just about any case.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline fencer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
IF there was such a policy, does that mean they could let you go if you started loosing your hair naturally?  :/O

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
IF there was such a policy, does that mean they could let you go if you started loosing your hair naturally?  :/O

They'd probably get sued for that. It'd be discrimination. Some companies, including the one I work for, have policies against "unnatural" hairstyles such as dying it green or something like that. But I can't see someone seriously considering baldness as unnatural even if it's by choice.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
Maybe in the 1970s or 80s a shaved head was taboo in the workplace....Nowadays, many businesses seem okay with having sly guys in their numbers, and some even welcome a sly guy......Oddly enough, our new plant manager was sporting a short buzz, but he went sly two weeks ago and everyone seems to like it!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »
Back when I worked as an attorney, I once was asked about a policy that would have barred beards on the job.  But I never once heard about any policies banning or that contemplated banning shaved heads. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »
I don't know that a company could have a formal policy prohibiting shaved heads, but there can be informal pressure, especially if the company is very conservative. That being said, my company is conservative and there is no taboo. In fact several executives shave their heads.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
Well there is a "policy" against it in the United States Air Force.  In fact, it can be punished under military criminal law, (Uniform Code of Military Justice).  An Airman can only shave the scraps if he is MBP.  Otherwise, it is strictly forbidden.

And now the Marine Corps forbids the traditional "horseshoe" haircut as well!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
The only jobs I can think of that may have an issues is the entertainment and TV industry where that may have ceratin appearance standards or  a contract for their on air employees.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
Well there is a "policy" against it in the United States Air Force.  In fact, it can be punished under military criminal law, (Uniform Code of Military Justice).  An Airman can only shave the scraps if he is MBP.  Otherwise, it is strictly forbidden.

And now the Marine Corps forbids the traditional "horseshoe" haircut as well!
It never was much of an issue in the Army...While not necessarily recommended, there wasn't any consequences for doing it AFAIK

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanks for all the great information and the replies.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
Right.  The building I work in shared with the Army.  Lot of the soldiers in my building shave their heads - although every one of them that I have seen is MBP and not just BBC.

would you believe it though, we have one soldier here who wears a toupee!  (And it is a really noticeable toupee').  Now I would have thought that would be prohibited for safety/operational reasons!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »
Right.  The building I work in shared with the Army.  Lot of the soldiers in my building shave their heads - although every one of them that I have seen is MBP and not just BBC.

would you believe it though, we have one soldier here who wears a toupee!  (And it is a really noticeable toupee').  Now I would have thought that would be prohibited for safety/operational reasons!
I think a toupee is allowed if you have scarring and it doesn't interfere with the proper wearing of headgear. In combat most just shaved or went natural to ensure that their kevlars fit.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »
The only jobs I can think of that may have an issues is the entertainment and TV industry where that may have ceratin appearance standards or  a contract for their on air employees.
Somewhere I read that it is in Matt Lauer's contract that he cannot shave his head ... though nature is taking a pretty good toll!  I guess NBC thinks Al Roker is enought sly for the Today Show
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
SLy is so mainstream nowadays.  I cant think of a typical job that would frown upon a shaved head for any reason.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"