Author Topic: Shaving your head and the job  (Read 9323 times)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Shaving your head and the job
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
My employer has a fairly strict "standard of appearance" ... and a shaved head is totally acceptable (and extremely common).
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
And now the Marine Corps forbids the traditional "horseshoe" haircut as well!

The horseshoe should be prohibited everywhere!!!   :*))

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »

The horseshoe should be prohibited everywhere!!!   :*))

O0

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 10:58:24 PM »
I think he meant the Marine type Horseshoe flattop rather than a ring of lingering hair on the sides/back horseshoe. I t does seem odd though why the Marines would prohibit that traditional type of flattop that is popular today. Any Marines know the real story ?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 11:17:22 PM »
The Army is going to outlaw the horseshoe also:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/03/28/new-army-grooming-regulations-roll-back-wartime-leniency.html

"For men, grooming standards remain largely unchanged, save for the addition of three off-limits hairstyles: the Mohawk, the horseshoe and the tear drop"

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »
And here it is for the marines:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-51759.html

"Another new section of the regulations explicitly describes which hairstyles are and are not acceptable for men and women. Men are not allowed to have a "teardrop," "horse shoe" or "Mohawk" haircut - even though drill instructors and other Marines have typically sported those styles in the past.

"There's a fine line between a high and tight and a Mohawk," Boyt said. "A high and tight is graduated up to that longer hair on top. We had to make that distinction."

A tear drop style - with a small, tear drop-shaped patch of hair on the top-front part of the scalp, with the rest of the head shaved - and a horse shoe style - a U-shaped patch of hair with the curved portion in the front, top of the scalp with the rest of the head shaved, were deemed "eccentric," but are allowed if the hair loss is natural, Boyt said."

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 04:32:20 AM »
I think he meant the Marine type Horseshoe flattop rather than a ring of lingering hair on the sides/back horseshoe.

Agreed. A horseshoe flattop is cut tighter on top making the center strip of scalp very visible. It's an awesome flattop style if you are a flattop fan.

I wouldn't work for a company that wouldn't let me shave!

Offline BaldLuke

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
I Agree with you Razorhead I would never have a job where I couldn't shave my head either!
Had some great horseshoe flattops before getting smooth, kept asking my barber to go shorter and shorter with them, and finally knew it was time to go for the razor! Never could go back now, love being smooth way too much Now

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
.....kept asking my barber to go shorter and shorter with them, and finally knew it was time to go for the razor! Never could go back now, love being smooth way too much Now

So true! That is my story too. Buzzcuts and flat tops got shorter and shorter. Once you get to a 0 blade the temptation to shave with a razor is born. My barber would just go shorter, I didn't even have to ask  :). The barber even gave me a "teardrop" cut described in an earlier post. But I love being smooth now and can't see going back.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
I echo you gentlemen very much.  I love being bald and wouldn't have it any other way now even if I had the choice of growing my full head of hair back.  I definitely wouldn't be employed where I couldn't have a shaved head.  That is just wrong IMO.  Getting old and having a visible horseshoe was never an option for me when it comes to that subject.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Re: Shaving your head and the job
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
Well there is a "policy" against it in the United States Air Force.  In fact, it can be punished under military criminal law, (Uniform Code of Military Justice).  An Airman can only shave the scraps if he is MBP.  Otherwise, it is strictly forbidden.

Hmmmm....interesting. I just retired after 22 yrs active duty Air Force, the last 5 yrs BBC, and not one person questioned it.

Cheers,
Ro

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
Well there is a "policy" against it in the United States Air Force.  In fact, it can be punished under military criminal law, (Uniform Code of Military Justice).  An Airman can only shave the scraps if he is MBP.  Otherwise, it is strictly forbidden.

Hmmmm....interesting. I just retired after 22 yrs active duty Air Force, the last 5 yrs BBC, and not one person questioned it.

Very cool.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
Just to add my two cents' worth (since the question has long been answered), I work for a public university in the state of Maryland, where a new trans-gender anti-discrimination law was just passed.  Yes, that's relevant ... if they can't fire me for showing up to work in a dress (something I would never do, BTW), they certainly couldn't fire me for having a shaved head.  I could invoke the new law and say that I was "channeling " Sinead O'Connor (altho I understand that she grew her hair back)!  Actually, quite a few men at work shave their heads, including the attorney who is in the division that accommodates disabled employees to the workplace.  While clean and shiny domes are still somewhat unusual, they seem to have gone mainstream.  I like that combination.