Author Topic: Netflix vs. Amazon Prime  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Netflix vs. Amazon Prime
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
A few days ago I signed up for a free trial of Netflix.  Up to now I've used Amazon Prime for streaming video content through my Blu-ray player, but Netflix seems to have a much better selection -- things that are either not available at all on Amazon, as well as things that can only be viewed on Amazon for an additional rental fee.

The problem I'm having with Netflix is that the picture quality is far inferior to what I can get through Amazon.  I just watched an episode of House of Cards on Netflix and the download speed was an anemic 1.4 Mbps and the picture was standard definition at best.  On Amazon, I can stream in HD at 8.0 Mbps.  Clearly my internet setup is capable of delivering HD quality, so why can't I get it using Netflix?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Netflix vs. Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
I stream Netflix thru my bluray, and get a good picture, not sure of the speed.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline djones

• Guero Pelon
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
 I for years have used Netflix, stream it through ps3 with great picture quality, my wife just signed up for Amazon prime free trial it's the same quality as Netflix on my ps3 but I didn't really find much that interested me where on Netflix I'm always finding something.
Semper Paratus!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
I called Netflix to ask about this.  They walked me through some troubleshooting steps that didn't help.  They really seemed to want to blame it on my ISP, or my WI-FI connection but Amazon Prime is coming through in HD quality just fine.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »
You definetly have something going on. I've had Netflix for a year and we stream everyday. Sometime my kids are streaming while the wife and I stream in another room, and while someone is on the computer. We very rarely have issues.

You can try rebooting your player or even your wireless router. That might help.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »

You can try rebooting your player or even your wireless router. That might help.

I tried both of those when I was on the phone with Netflix. I did a Google search and a lot of people seem to think that Comcast is deliberately slowing down the speed for Netflix.  I could believe it if problem happened across all streaming services but Amazon is coming through fine.  I don't think Comcast could single out Netflix but who knows?

The picture is watchable but it could and should be a lot better.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
I don't think Comcast could single out Netflix but who knows?

/whistles-and-kicks-can

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:44 PM »
I don't think Comcast could single out Netflix but who knows?

/whistles-and-kicks-can

It's not that I think that Comcast is staffed by choirboys, but if they were doing something to slow download speeds for video streaming, wouldn't that affect other providers (Amazon, Vudu) as well as Netflix?  Or is there something unique about the way Netflix content is delivered? 

When my free trial is over, I have to give some serious thought to whether I want to pay for something with such lousy picture quality.  When I was watching this afternoon it was standard def but watchable.  During prime time when the traffic was presumably heavier, it was like watching a bootleg copy of a DVD or VHS tape.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:59 AM »
@RazorX:  Hi Rob... I hope that Netflix can work out for you.  We have been fortunate to have great service from Netflix.  Keep us posted, my friend.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
but if they were doing something to slow download speeds for video streaming, wouldn't that affect other providers (Amazon, Vudu) as well as Netflix?
As a threat, Netflix is unique. Amazon, Vudu, and the others are just blips on the radar so far.

I'm not saying I have any insider knowledge, but your story is far from unique.

Offline djones

• Guero Pelon
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »
 I use att internet service and my Netflix quality is just as good as Amazon prime, hulu, etc. my wife uses roku box on extra TV and it only uses apps..Netflix quality even as good as my HD direct TV so I would say it's something else causing your problem...Netflix on the roku and bluray player do come in worse quality than it does on my ps3
Semper Paratus!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
but if they were doing something to slow download speeds for video streaming, wouldn't that affect other providers (Amazon, Vudu) as well as Netflix?
As a threat, Netflix is unique. Amazon, Vudu, and the others are just blips on the radar so far.

I'm not saying I have any insider knowledge, but your story is far from unique.

But is it possible for them to slow down Netflix without slowing down the others too?

My dad just got a new blu-Ray player.  I just hooked it up for him and signed him up for Netflix.  He is getting an HD picture.  He has Verizon Fios.  I have Comcast.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
Found this on the net:

One Comcast subscriber, Dick Lambert of Roseville, has suffered through this issue for so long that he has spent time meticulously documenting it.

When Netflix is on his TV or PC, he said, data rates plunge. The rates are measured in megabits per second. For pristine high-definition gapless streaming, a data rate of about 5 megabits per second or higher is helpful.

Lambert sees excellent performance, often topping 10 megabits per second, when using video services other than Netflix. When he fires up Netflix, however, the data rate will plunge to well below 1 megabit per second.

Lambert said this problem is worst in the evening. Early in the morning, Netflix performance does improve.

Lambert is better equipped than most to monitor such data rates.

He receives video-streaming content via a Sony living-room media player with an unusual feature: It displays a precise data-rate reading each time he pulls up a video-streaming service.

That is why Lambert knew with certainty that his Netflix streaming had become severely impaired last June, improved in July, but deteriorated again just before Christmas, and has stayed that way ever since.

Lot's of info, Comcast is bad news!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
And Comcast is trying to Buy Time Warner Cable to add to their collection.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »
Found this on the net:

One Comcast subscriber, Dick Lambert of Roseville, has suffered through this issue for so long that he has spent time meticulously documenting it.

When Netflix is on his TV or PC, he said, data rates plunge. The rates are measured in megabits per second. For pristine high-definition gapless streaming, a data rate of about 5 megabits per second or higher is helpful.

Lambert sees excellent performance, often topping 10 megabits per second, when using video services other than Netflix. When he fires up Netflix, however, the data rate will plunge to well below 1 megabit per second.

Lambert said this problem is worst in the evening. Early in the morning, Netflix performance does improve.

Lambert is better equipped than most to monitor such data rates.

He receives video-streaming content via a Sony living-room media player with an unusual feature: It displays a precise data-rate reading each time he pulls up a video-streaming service.

That is why Lambert knew with certainty that his Netflix streaming had become severely impaired last June, improved in July, but deteriorated again just before Christmas, and has stayed that way ever since.

Lot's of info, Comcast is bad news!

That is exactly what I am experiencing.  I also have a Sony that tells me what the download rate is.  It went down as low as 0.6 last night, while Amazon came in at 5 point something.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:07:57 PM by Razor X »

Enter your email address: