Author Topic: Mirror Shaver or Shave By Feel  (Read 7300 times)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Mirror Shaver or Shave By Feel
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
I've been sly now for a little over two months and have a pretty good routine down.  I'm a sink shaver and shave the front in front of the mirror and use a hand held mirror to help me see the back as I shave it.  One day I'd like to be able to shave without having to use the mirror and just do it by feel, but I think that's a long ways away still.

Curious, how many of you all shave using a mirror and how many can do it by feel?

My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
Re: Mirror Shaver or Shave By Feel
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »
I can do it by feel now.  I feel the stubble, and when I have shaved it off, I feel smooth skin.  When my scalp feels completely smooth (wonderful feeling!), I'm done.  I occasionally miss a little patch here and there, but I get it next time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:52:12 AM by EarlBald »

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:35:26 AM »
Always by feel. I can feel much more than I can see. When I used to use a mirror, I'd end up tidying up by feel at the end. If I'm shaving around a beard or mo, I'll do the bits around the edges first, in a mirror, then do the rest by feel. I like to finish up feeling like I've never had a hair on my entire head ;)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »
I can do it all by feel now, but I prefer having a wall-mounted mirror for reference.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 03:59:40 AM »
Although I used the mirror in the beginning I have to do it by feel now. Looking in the mirror when I'm shaving confuses me and that's a dangerous thing when one is wielding a sharp edged implement.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:03:25 AM »
When I was buzzing my head, I used a hand held mirror to see the back because I wasn't shaving all the way to skin and I needed to see if I missed any spots. Just feeling wouldn't work because I was leaving stubble. I needed to make sure it was all even.

Now that I razor shave sly, I don't need to see the back. I still stand in front of the mirror in front of my sink, but I just feel now to check for missed spots. I do a better job with the razor and this method than I did with the clippers.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 05:34:39 AM »
Echoing the preceding gentlemen, I use the mirror only while I am shaving around the goatee and mustache. After that, it is by feel.

Since I shave at least once a day, my eyes really cannot see the stubble as well as the fingers can detect it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »
I use mirror  to shave face but shave head by feel.   Can't see the stubble by mirror but can feel it. shave atg.   

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »
I have always shaved my head by feel.

I'm farsighted and wear trifocals.  I can't see anything up that close with glasses, and they get in the way of shaving.  It's just impossible to 'see' anything so the mirror gets in the way.

When I used to buzz my head, same thing. Always by feel.  Can't see that close. Don't like fighting with the glasses. Can't crook my neck to get the right lens in the right place to see what I'm doing.

Offline Bald Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »
I shave my face with a straight razor, so I use a mirror.  I use a DE razor on my head and use a mirror for the front and sides, but it's easier to get the back just by feel.  The DE razor is so efficient at removing stubble it's easy to do without looking and just feeling, as well as listening to the sound the razor makes while cutting stubble.

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
I use the mirror for top and sides, but I still use my fingers to feel as I'm going. And I just feel the back of my head.

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
I used the mirror for the first day.. I couldn't after that. Lol I always get confused when using a mirror on the back of my head, which way is left and which is right?! With my ATX Headblade I run my fingers along and align the wheels where I need and make sure the wheels hit my lead hand to get those spots.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »
Mirror in front of me but all done by feel really. Sometimes if i look in the mirroe when shaving i get confused which hand is holding the razor!!! lol

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
I always shave in front of a mirror at the sink. I do it all by feel but use the mirror to shave around my mustache and goatee. I do use a mirror to look at the back of my head when I am done. I can feel when the dome is nice and smooth the way I like it to be.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
I used the mirror for the first day.. I couldn't after that. Lol I always get confused when using a mirror on the back of my head, which way is left and which is right?! 

Mirror in front of me but all done by feel really. Sometimes if i look in the mirroe when shaving i get confused which hand is holding the razor!!! lol

Glad I'm not the only one who used the word "confused". Thanks boys, I feel better.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.