Author Topic: Barbershop Shaves  (Read 8096 times)

Offline bbcin1999

• Sly Guy in Training
Barbershop Shaves
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:30:49 PM »
Just got a shave which I really enjoyed at the Barbershop.
Buzzed to the skin and then he used a Norelco to razor to shave it.

Went over it a lot to get it smooth.
A little stubble but definitely bald.

I had not shaved in about a week.
Anyone else add barbershop shaves to their balding routine?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Barbershop Shaves
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
Cool bro!  I had my head shaved with a straight razor at the Art of Shaving Barber.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:20 AM »
Yeah, I agree...my barber takes the straight razor up the sides and the back...'bout every 7-10 days and use the Mach 3 in between.

Tyler: I think I saw an Art of Shaving shop when I was in Las Vegas last year...is that the same place (is it a chain?) where you went? I was tempted to check it out, but wasn't going as short as I am now. Also saw a Truefitt and Hill barbershop in the Ceasars Forum. Seems like it would be a nice, relaxing experience.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »

...I think I saw an Art of Shaving shop when I was in Las Vegas last year...is that the same place (is it a chain?)

YEP!

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/home.php

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:03:30 AM »
Yeah, the Art of Shaving store I went to was in the Mandalay Bay shops.  It was a very relaxing experience.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
no need 4 barbers 4 my dome.... wifey is my personal barber & she does a gr8 job.  however if me & wifey ever go back 2 vegas, i definitely will check out "the art of shaving" in the mandalay bay.  the fusion + sexy wifey= smooth dome!!!  MAN.... she does a helluva job!!!

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SlyGI

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »
I haven't gotten my head shaved at a barber, but I would love to try it.

I really like both The Art of Shaving and Truefitt and Hill's products. I use them both all the time.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
I really enjoy rewarding myself wih a BS headshave.  Although my barber can't get me as slick as I can myself, he goes over my head twice against the grain using a straight razor.  Starts it all with hot towels to soften up the stubble. He usually spends 30 to 45 min and I tip him heavy. He owns the shop and told me to come in first on a weekday morning and also he prefers not to razor shave heads on weekends becuase its so busy.  one of the best parts is watching the expressions and listening to the guys waiting to get buzzed.  A lot of them want to get completely skinned but dont have the nerve.  I recommend BS headshaves to any devoted skinhead.

Offline scboy28

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I dunno why I never smile for these...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
You guyz have b@lls!!!   Even the thought of a straight razor coming at my scalp, face, or otherwise scares the hell outta me.  Too many slasher movies, I guess.

Q: Haven't straight-edge razors been being outlawed by different states since HIV began plaguing us, or am I  :/O

-greg

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
You guyz have b@lls!!!   Even the thought of a straight razor coming at my scalp, face, or otherwise scares the hell outta me.  Too many slasher movies, I guess.

Q: Haven't straight-edge razors been being outlawed by different states since HIV began plaguing us, or am I  :/O

-greg

You're correct, they have.  Except, now they have them with disposable blades.  So, the same blade is never used on two different people.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:13:55 AM »

-greg

You're correct, they have.  Except, now they have them with disposable blades.  So, the same blade is never used on two different people.

Wow, I didnt know that they had disposable straight razors.

I will be ringing around to the local barbers in the area to get a Straight Razor headshave in the next few weeks.

Good Topic.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:48:45 AM »
Here's a pic of one:

BALDANDRE

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »

I will be ringing around to the local barbers in the area to get a Straight Razor headshave in the next few weeks.

Good Topic.

Man, i have a some great barbershop headshaves in the past, some with straight razors (kinda scary and cool at the same time) and a couple reg. disposalble ones...

i would recommend it to anyone...eventhough i got great smooth, very close shaves, i've heard of other dudes not getting them that close...but with the shave in the shop , it's the experience of gettting your head shaved bald in front of others dudes...when you know they're saying to themselves, 'what the heck is that guy doing to himself'...I love that reaction...

or heck they may be sayin' " Man, wish i had the b@lls to go that too!"..

If you go for it Jdog, try to grow out your hair for at least 2-3 days to have a buzz goin...then you can go to the shop and tell the barber to shave you head slick bald...the reaction is worth the grow out! O0

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 02:15:26 AM »

Good Topic.

Man, i have a some great barbershop headshaves in the past, some with straight razors (kinda scary and cool at the same time) and a couple reg. disposalble ones...

i would recommend it to anyone...eventhough i got great smooth, very close shaves, i've heard of other dudes not getting them that close...but with the shave in the shop , it's the experience of gettting your head shaved bald in front of others dudes...when you know they're saying to themselves, 'what the heck is that guy doing to himself'...I love that reaction...

or heck they may be sayin' " Man, wish i had the b@lls to go that too!"..

If you go for it Jdog, try to grow out your hair for at least 2-3 days to have a buzz goin...then you can go to the shop and tell the barber to shave you head slick bald...the reaction is worth the grow out! O0

Hey Andre yeah I will do that mate, thanks for the post. I agree it would freak them out wouldnt it?

There are a lot of Italian and Greek barbers in my area (about 7 in a 5 block radius). I'm going to meander down there this weekend and will post pics when I do the deed.
[/quote]

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:01 AM »
Barbershop straight razor headshaves are very nice.
Looking forward too see the pics
Nothing better than one sharp blade