Author Topic: Latest?? Invention to prevent baldness  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Latest?? Invention to prevent baldness
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
I was at home during the lunch hour watching the local news.  They had a piece on there called Health Watch and they were previewing a new laser hair regrowth technique.  It seems the report centered on a new laser treatment that was applied to the thinning area, usually the crown of the head, and exposed to laser beams for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.  Somehow, the laser beams were absorbed partially by the hair follicles which stimulated growth. 

The doctor being interviewed said there previously was a comb that did the same thing but you had to comb the thinning spot for a minimum of 20 minutes daily to get any positive effect.  Patients were complaining about stiff arms and did not do it daily.

Now the procedure involves multiple visits on a weekly basis to the dermatologist to sit under a laser for 30 minute sessions.  You sit in a dentist chair and the laser surrounds the top of your head.  According to the doctor, this lasts about 48 to 52 weeks.  Then you are reduced to once a week.

However, other doctors interviewed were very skeptical about the success because they presented no scientific data to support the regrowth.

I just found it interesting and thought I would put this procedure up for discussion.  Someone on here may have tried it - if so, I would love to hear your story either good or bad.

I am not being critical of anyone who wants to stop hair loss.  That option is one anyone can take.  However, as I enjoying my 41st day of slyness.  I am happy with the road I took.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Latest?? Invention to prevent baldness
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:23:13 PM »
They must have been doing a review on the Hairmax Laser Comb.  There's been a discussion on this a while back (http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=80), but it would be interesting to hear everyones thoughts on this thing.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
Tyler:  Now that you mentioned it, I think they did call it the Hairmax Laser Comb.  Most people supposedly complained that it was too heavy to use for 20 minutes.  I had never heard of it.  Just thought it was interesting.

Not long ago I was one of those people who was not happy with my look.  Now I am. :@`
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

BigJimW

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »
I'm not nukin' my scalp for hair. Who knows, the laser may give you brain cancer for all we know.  :/O

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:37:06 PM »
I'm not nukin' my scalp for hair. Who knows, the laser may give you brain cancer for all we know.  :/O

possible brain cancer????   just another reason 2 keep it sly. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
Just goes to show the lengths some companies (and doctors) will go to try and keep up the myth that hair is good...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
Just goes to show the lengths some companies (and doctors) will go to try and keep up the myth that hair is good...

I think the myth is that companies making this crap want you to believe that the absence of hair is bad.

Sorry, I'm just splitting hairs.. :*))

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »

I think the myth is that companies making this crap want you to believe that the absence of hair is bad.

Punny
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

BaldRob

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 07:17:56 PM »

Punny

groooooaaaan!!

jusbnme

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »

Punny

groooooaaaan!!

Double grooooaaaaan!!!   :*))  J/K  I have to agree with what all of you have said.  It's just a way for, just like any company like that, to make money off of someone else's insecurities. 

Offline bustabucket

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
The Laser Comb is dubious and has not been approved by the FDA for hair loss. It has only been approved for sale in the US.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:41 AM »
Hey guys,if any of you are intersted, I made a huge post about my disdain for hair loss prevention companies on my blog http://concreteriver.blogspot.com/2007/07/being-bald-is-okay.html

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 03:53:19 AM »
Hey Jesse, that's an awesome post!  I'm going to put that in the links section.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 04:59:58 AM »
Hey Jesse,

I've got to second what Tyler said - great stuff !  YR*(k

Thing is though ... I totally agree with everything you wrote ... but what I don't fully understand is, from your pics & how you describe yourself - you are totally bbc ... which is great just wondered why those ads bother you so much though since it seems not to be an issue for you personally? I am not criticizing you at all .... far from it ... I think it's really cool ... was just intrigued that's all??

Anyway .... whatever the reason .... GREAT STUFF bro!
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:12:18 AM »
Hey guys,if any of you are intersted, I made a huge post about my disdain for hair loss prevention companies on my blog http://concreteriver.blogspot.com/2007/07/being-bald-is-okay.html

As usual Jesse, a thoughtful and articulate post.  Very well said. O0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:14:01 AM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost