Author Topic: Give it to me straight...how bad is my balding?  (Read 19572 times)

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
Give it to me straight...how bad is my balding?
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
It's somewhat shocking to me to even use the term "balding" in reference to myself since I'm not even 21 yet... but I am going bald it seems.
Now here's what my hair looks like normally...as you can see it has receded a bit on the top and on both sides of my face: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/bd1h.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/4rff.jpg/ You can see there are a bunch of miniaturizing hairs there. Maybe I can regrow them with Rogaine or some other product?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/oyyq.jpg/
It's really obvious in this picture, which I was a little hesitant to post honestly: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/6ku5.jpg/
Here's a pic of me from 17/18, and you can see the recession is beginning: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/bb3.png/

I have generalized anxiety disorder and feel keyed up like all the time..I wonder if all the excess cortisol could have made my hair recede before its time...maybe normally it wouldn't have receded until 22/23 but receded at 17/18 because of my anxiety. Gahhhh

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Give it to me straight...how bad is my balding?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
You are definitely receding a bit. Whether or it anxiety played a role in speeding it up or not, I do not know. I tend to doubt it, but honestly, it doesn't really matter.  What does matter is that you acknowledge what's happening and deal with it appropriately.  A shorter haircut -- I'm thinking a longish buzz (#3 maybe) -- will be a lot more flattering.  Stay away from the drugs. They have nasty side effects and at best, only postpone the inevitable.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
I see a little recession up front....but why don't you try a short buzz first to see if the receding will be less obvious?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
One thing you won't have to worry about if you buzz to #1 or less, or shave your head sly.  You won't have a bad hair day. You won't have to worry about combing or brushing your hair or whether it looks fly away or not.

Won't have to see the barber and shell out the $$.  Just get a clippers for about $40 from walmart or other store and buzz every few days. Just takes a few moments and you always look the same. When you're ready, get the razor out and enjoy being sly. 

It makes a young guy look a few more years mature. Helps, too, if you act a few months more nature too.

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »
I'm not really interested in shaving in yet...

It's salvageable isn't it? I'm not even 21 yet. Surely you guys can understand why I'd be interested in keeping it for a few more years.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »
I think a lot of us who went through MPB understand the anxiety you are feeling. My hairline looked very similar to yours at that age. If you came here for empathy, you have it.

The guys were trying to give you suggestions as to what you might do if you want to minimize the look. A lot of us accepted going bald as an inevitable part of our respective maturation, and came to realize it really made no difference in who we are. If you came here for advice on hairpieces or drugs, then you probably are going to be disappointed. Very few of us endorse that stuff.

Baldness is not the end of your world unless you make it be.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:19:15 AM »
In don't think the length and wieght of your hair is helping the look. Shorter at the sides, bit of length on top. Then over a period of time (if it continues to receed) crop, buzz and if you feel you want to shave.

Don't feel down about it. Honestly it's not going to stop you doing anything you could with hair. The only thing that will stop you is you. So try and think positive :)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:40 AM »
I'm not really interested in shaving in yet...

It's salvageable isn't it? I'm not even 21 yet. Surely you guys can understand why I'd be interested in keeping it for a few more years.

Ryukil,

I think you said it; you're not interested in shaving yet. And while you are receding, it seems as if you are still okay with how you look. That's really the most important thing. I can definitely understand how you would want to keep your hair as long as possible - and you still have quite a bit. So keep it.

But the anxiety thing sucks - constantly worrying about your hair and if it it looks okay. 
For me, shaving my head made that piece of my anxiety go away. So whatever you decide to do, this forum is a great place for support.

Good luck!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline safetymike

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
Well at least youre not on denial about it...

I can imagine its tough since youre so young...I agree with the other guys and try a cut something closer.

When I was your age I was in the military and never had longer hair and I never had any trouble with the ladies and we all know thats what its all about.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
Well said guys.

Good luck Ryukil.

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »
I'm a little late to this party, but wanted to chime in.

When I was 21, yeah, it wouldn't have been high on my list to shave my head.

And you don't have to go completely "slick"...in fact, you could buy some clippers and start with a 5 blade and just see what it looks like...if you like it....go to a 4 or 3, and then 2, 1, etc...  If you hit a spot where you're comfortable, then leave it.

I can almost guarantee you'll be down to a 000 and loving it....

Like the others have said...it's one less thing for you to worry about. 

And, as they also mentioned....drugs (hair loss drugs, etc) really seem pretty frightening to me.  They don't seem to work all that well from what I've read, and the side effects that some of them bring can be unpleasant.

With the clipper method, if you don't like it...just stop...it'll grow back faster than you think.  But, honestly, once you experience that "freedom"...you'll stick with it.

Good luck....

Offline Mr.Perfect

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Proud Bald since November 13th
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
It's really not that bad, seriously! I've waited to be WAY worse than that before shaving it but one thing I know is that I should've shaved earlier so .. If you know for sure you're going to get completly bald, I say go for it and try you will see .. if you don't like it, you still have enough hair so it won't look bad so I think you have nothing to loose my friend!
Montreal Canadiens fan, CM Punk fan, and now fan of my own bald head :)

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
I'm now 23. I went out and bought clippers from wal-mart I think at like 19-20. MPB won't go away and going out and trying these expensive ways to try to slow it down is just that, a way to slow it down. I have/had pretty bad anxiety issues. Once I started buzzing it real short, you couldn't notice my MPB as much. I was still so anxious about it and what people thought. 3-4 years later I still wasn't happy. People started noticing more and more as it got worse. A week ago I had enough of looking in the mirror and being unhappy, so I decided to just do it. I found this forum like an hour after I had already shaved it. I feel so much better about myself it's rediculous. I've shaved everyday since. I have control over it now, I don't let it control me. To be honest.. Shaving makes me feel pampered and as woman would say after getting dressed up for a hot date " I feel pretty" :D. If I were you, I'd try buzzing it like others suggested it. You might get varrying responses, but remember that they are in response of what you CHOSE to do, not what you have 0 control over. I know it's heart breaking and I understand completely, but it's better to be proactive about it rather then let it rule your life. I now wish I had just shaved it off when I first noticed it. Sorry this turned into a book <3.

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Btw I forgot to mention that I had long hair in the past. The red hair I was 16 going on 17 (2007) my hair was thinning and receeding a lil bit. The other I was 18 going on 19(2009).. at my wedding. The wedding photo you can see how bad my hair is thinning and receeding.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/716/pdlh.jpg - Red hair
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/42/a2m0.jpg - Wedding photo

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
Btw I forgot to mention that I had long hair in the past. The red hair I was 16 going on 17 (2007) my hair was thinning and receeding a lil bit. The other I was 18 going on 19(2009).. at my wedding. The wedding photo you can see how bad my hair is thinning and receeding.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/716/pdlh.jpg - Red hair
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/42/a2m0.jpg - Wedding photo

Great photos, Lith.  Thanks for sharing.  When my kids were little they would look at my wedding photos and ask why I didn't grow back my "wedding hair."  ;D

I feel the way you do.  Once I had taken control over my balding, a lot of my anxieties vanished.
Bronx bald and bred!