Author Topic: First Timmer  (Read 4507 times)

backseatview

First Timmer
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:42:52 PM »
So Ive been going bald since i was about 20 (25 now) and I must say.. I look pretty damn good with a buzzed head... Well I am in this relationship now and the guy I am seeing wants me to go all the way with shaving it all off... To be honest I am scared because I've never done such a thing. So what I am getting at is whats the best way for a first timer to shave their own head... Im trying to get one of my friends to come to spot me lol... Im also considering trying out lotions and creams that will remove the hair. Any suggestions? I am trying to take in consideration that I do have a small mole on the side of my head that is above the skin and I have this fear of knicking it and bleeding to death.. I know i may be over dramatic about it. Peace  :/O

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First Timmer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
welcome for starters. stay away from the creams that get rid of hair. my advice for a first timer: dig around on the boards here and ask questions. there is always someone that can/will help out. just take it slow. don't get in a hurry and you should be ok. i have a mole on the side of my head too. just be careful around it. or maybe see a dermatologist to get it removed. enjoy the site. lots really cool people here.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:33:53 PM »
Welcome to SBG First Timmer.  That was some good advice from pburke there.  Razor preferences and the right gel or cream to use varies with each of us, so reading up on the various boards should help you find a technique that would be right for you.   Foremost is to get a zero buzz before attempting to shave. You need to be as close as possible to get a clean and effortless shave.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline RichardN.

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:00:04 PM »
Welcome.  I'm sure you'll be fine.  Your mole shouldn't be too much trouble, just be careful when you're shaving in that area.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »
welcome 2 the forum!  glad u found us.  as far as tips & info, check the section under "head shaving"  and u will find great threads such as "what razor do u use",  "cream or gel", and "your shaving routine".  those r  3 of the many threads that will help u get some info on shaving. 

just remember 2 never use a cheapo razor.  cheap razor=terrible shave.  it seems that the top 3 razors of choice r the head blade (classic or sport), mach3, & the fusion.  don't buy the power version of the mach3 or the fusion because there is no or little difference from the manual mach3 & manual fusion.

anyways... good luck when u decide 2 do the deed.  i promise u that u will not regret it.  good luck & keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  These guys have given some great advice already.  The majority of the guys here use either a Mach 3, Fusion, or HeadBlade.  Then for shaving cream or gel, it's usually HeadSlick or Bald Guyz shaving gel.  I recommend searching for "shaving routine" here on the forum to get an idea of what everyone does.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 01:57:26 AM »
So Ive been going bald since i was about 20 (25 now) and I must say.. I look pretty damn good with a buzzed head... Well I am in this relationship now and the guy I am seeing wants me to go all the way with shaving it all off... To be honest I am scared because I've never done such a thing.

Hi backseatview,

No need to be scared about shaving, can see from your pic that you'll look fine but as Paul mentioned .... stay away from the hair removal creams ... never tried them myself but some here have & I don't think I've read of a single positive result!

Not that it's any of my business but I was wondering ...does the guy you're seeing have a shaved head too? .... & would you have considered shaving had he not asked you to?

Anyway ... Welcome to SBG's ....    O0
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Meathead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »
Don't fret the moles man. Either you will not hit them and all will be well, or you will hit them and you will bleed temporarily. After a few shaves though you will have knocked it down so that you can shave right over it. I have a few myself, but after a lil while they quit being a problem and now I just shave over them.
"Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose."

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 04:55:15 AM »
Welcome to the SBG family backseatview, the sly look will suit you just fine. Just do a little reading of the other posts like the others have said, and you can't go wrong.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 05:18:33 AM »

So Ive been going bald since i was about 20 (25 now) and I must say.. I look pretty damn good with a buzzed head... Well I am in this relationship now and the guy I am seeing wants me to go all the way with shaving it all off... To be honest I am scared because I've never done such a thing. So what I am getting at is whats the best way for a first timer to shave their own head... Im trying to get one of my friends to come to spot me lol... Im also considering trying out lotions and creams that will remove the hair. Any suggestions? I am trying to take in consideration that I do have a small mole on the side of my head that is above the skin and I have this fear of knicking it and bleeding to death.. I know i may be over dramatic about it. Peace  :/O

Welcome Eric,

Hmmm, well a good start to any relationship is trust, so try asking your bf to shave it for you. That way you don't walk around with a missed spot the first time. He may even be flattered. For the mole, you may want to pick up a straight edge (you can buy an eye brow shaper at Sally's Beauty to get the hairs around the mole, works pretty good.)

Try out the Schick Quattro, too, since it's got the safety wires, never got a single cut from it.

Um, and don't try and cut the mole off yourself. It's real painful. Ask my ex :P

Good luck,

Cy

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 09:52:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

BALDANDRE

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Welcome dude...you'll look great with a slicked dome...you'll dig not having any stubble up there! O0

Like Pbruke said, just read up in past threads and you'll find what you need, take you time and try going against the grain...

it'll get you super slick! O0

Good luck!

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Some great advice has been given, but the main thing is to take it slow and not rush the first time.  After that one, it gets easier the more you do it!  The first few times I shaved I just used a handheld mirror to help me get the back & sides.  Good luck we're rooting for you!

backseatview

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
Wow great advice! I tried to talk my bf into shaving it for me. I even tried saying if you want it shaved you need to do it for me... Hes not bald, no where even near it. Ill go out and get me a new razor just for my head... Maybe even make one of my friends sit there and take pictures for humor. Does any big chain department stores sell that razor thats made just for your head?

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 02:11:47 PM »
Yeah, you can buy a "Headblade" at Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.  But, I bought it and didn't like it, so I just used by Mach 3.  I've also used a Fusion and liked it as well.