Author Topic: 20 year old guy, going bald.  (Read 12155 times)

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
20 year old guy, going bald.
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
Well, I wasn't really sure where to post this. I just want some advice. I don't really want to shave my head, at least not yet. Maybe in a few years, or if treatment works not until I'm around 30. Maybe then I'll even keep the crown. But I just want to show some pics:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/bq16.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/mt6y.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/su1i.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/wijc.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/vyhm.jpg/

Here's an older pic for comparison:
http://imageshack.us/f/28/bwit.jpg/

I seriously just had no idea it was even going. My dad always told me I would have until around 30. I have chronic anxiety problems, and think it's possible that they could have contributed. Maybe it wouldn't have looked like it does now until I was 23 or 24 otherwise. Like I have been keyed up for the past 10 years pretty much due to generalized anxiety disorder. I never knew that stress could contribute though, until I started researching it recently...
I'm going to get an appointment with a dermatologist and try to get some finasteride. Maybe I will try Rogaine as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:41:04 AM by Ryukil »

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: 20 year old guy, going bald.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »
And yes, I have always had a higher hairline, but not as high as it is now. Plus it's receded in the temples...

Marshal S.

Re: Re: 20 year old guy, going bald.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:17:36 AM »
Yes, chronic stress will cause this to happen to you.  The kind of thinning you have is classic for that.  You are not alone in that.  I'd not do the finasteride, but the minoxidil may help.
Are you seeing someone about the GADCSS?  You may need to take an SSRI or even a benzodiazipine like Xanax.  That will be key in treatment program.

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
Yes, chronic stress will cause this to happen to you.  The kind of thinning you have is classic for that.  You are not alone in that.  I'd not do the finasteride, but the minoxidil may help.
Are you seeing someone about the GADCSS?  You may need to take an SSRI or even a benzodiazipine like Xanax.  That will be key in treatment program.

I have been on a bunch of sh*t over the years, mostly SSRIs and have tried Xanax (didn't really help). I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in about a month, and am thinking of trying another benzo and maybe a MAOI (since I have OCD too which factors into my other issues).
I'm still working on self-therapy, like I have been for years, and trying to get into breathing exercises, meditation, and that stuff.

So I'm thinking my constant, high levels of anxiety may have caused me to recede earlier. Obviously my hairline can't grow back, but do you think if I get my anxiety under control some of the gaps in there could grow back? I have no doubt I will go completely bald at some point in my life, but I just wish it were like ten years from now...I'm only 20, I have yet to live.

I don't think the recession is terribly bad (am I in denial?), since I have always had a high hairline, and I can see by the miniaturized hairs that it wasn't that much further forward than it is now, so I'm hoping that Rogaine will help.

Marshal S.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »
If your stress goes down and you aren't pulling (some OCD patients do when stressed) it should all regrow including the receded part if that was not due to MPB.  There is no damage to those follicles they just went dormant due to stress hormone levels.  You don't need to expend energy growing hair that could be used to fend off danger, which your body thinks you are in due to your constantly high stress levels.
You need to find medication that works and a way to reduce the constant anxiety.  Bio feedback, relaxation exercises, a support group, group therapy, individual therapy.  Joining a church, synagogue, temple, mosque, philosophical agnostics meeting, etc.
I know these people here will be support too, but people with your condition need real, live, breathing, people, not just computer screens with words. I know it's not easy, but it is worth it.

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
Well, it's not as if my hairline just receded in a period of a few months. If I look at photos, this is something that has been occurring for at least two years. I just didn't realize it until a few months ago. Like I said, I wasn't expecting to go bald until my late 20s. I read on Wikipedia that "emotional stress can accelerate the MPB process in genetically susceptible individuals." So obviously I have had a lot of stress for years, and obviously I'm genetically susceptible... So I'm just thinking that MPB maybe started earlier in me due to my anxiety. Maybe it would have started at 21, instead of around 18, and I would be where I am now at 23 or 24. I doubt that the anxiety could have accelerated it all by 10 years.
But yeah...
So obviously getting my anxiety under control won't move my hairline back up...I'm just thinking that maybe the miniaturized hairs will grow back and my hair might thicken. But honestly, I haven't been able to stop my anxiety for years, doesn't seem like I'll be able to stop it anytime soon (but that's negative thinking...).

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:17 AM »
Don't take what you read on Wikipedia as the Gospel truth.

Your hair is receding but you are far from bald. It may seem to you like it's going rapidly but it is a gradual process. My hairline started creeping back when I was about your age. I thought it was going quickly but it took about 15 years to get to the point where it was noticeable enough that I had to do something about it (i.e., shave it).

Find a good barber and get him to cut your hair in a style that is flattering -- even if that means exposing a little forehead. Get it cut regularly to keep it looking tidy and forget the drugs. Mother Nature will win out as she always does but remember that you have a long way to go before your hair loss becomes apparent to the world at large. When it does, you hopefully will have found a way to get your anxiety under control. There is more to you than just your hair; it isn't worth stressing over.

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
I don't know. It looks pretty bad to me.

Offline Shane21

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
You need to ease up on yourself. You still have plenty of hair. If you're not running you hands through it trying to point out what you see as being 'wrong' with it, no one will even notice. You are making your stress levels even worse worrying about something that is truly not as bad as what you think it is...

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
But all those big gaps...

Offline alexk15810

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
I agree with Razor X.  You have a hairline that would benefit greatly from a proper haircut from a good stylist. It could be styled in a way that really flatters you, perhaps go a bit shorter. Your hair doesn't look bad at all, no need to freak out. Your hairline reminds me of Jude Law's in the way your temples are receeding, maybe try googling some pictures of him for some styling inspiration.

Try not to worry about it dude, you look great. I see lots of guys with similar hair, it looks like a mature hairline more than anything else. And honestly I don't see any difference in your old picture. I seriously doubt anxiety is the source of your hair loss. From what I've read anxiety usually results in temporary radical hairloss which grows back after anxiety levels are down. When it's slow and continuing over a long period of time it's almost always genetic.

And some years down the road when/if the day comes that it's time to let your hair go I promise you that it won't matter. I'm 26 and mostly bald, started shaving around 6 months ago and honestly no aspect of my life has changed (dating, professional or friendships) because of my hair loss. In fact more women my age seem to find it a turn on than a turn off and I seem to be getting more respect at my job because of my more masculine look.

Good luck.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
I don't know. It looks pretty bad to me.

The rest of the world won't be scrutinizing your head the way you do yourself. You'd be amazed at the things people don't notice.

Hair isn't important. There are plenty of successful, good-looking and happy people who don't have hair. It is surprisingly easy to just get on with things once the hair is gone. You may feel otherwise now, but your perspective will change with time and maturity.

Marshal S.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
OK stop.  You are giving into your GAD by pursuing this.  We are feeding it by continuing to let you awfulize this.  It isn't bad.  You don't like it.  What will you do to change that?

@Alex, what you say is true of acute stress, but he has generalized anxiety disorder with CHRONIC stress lasting over a ten year period.  His hair loss is almost certainly due to the high levels of cortisol, arginine vasopressin, and dihydroepiandrosterone sulfate metabolite over a prolonged period of time.  These will NOT cause MPB.  Razor X is right, wikipedia gets it wrong more often than right.

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 04:31:02 AM »

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
OK, well, yes, looking at your photo's, it does appear that your hair is starting to recede. But..like a lot of the other guys have said, you still have plenty of hair. It's the style that is drawing attention to it..though to be honest, if I passed you in the street I wouldnt give it a second thought!

Go to a decent hair stylists and ask them for some advice as to what style would work best.

Ive had anxiety on and off for years, it's horrendous. But seriously, you look fine!