Author Topic: I am scared to lose the toupee (HCM) I have question  (Read 12318 times)

Offline enoughalready

• Learning the way of Sly
I am scared to lose the toupee (HCM) I have question
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
I have been a Hair club for men user for 20 years, I am 49, somewhat good-looking guy, but I have also gained 30lbs. I have an athletic build but now have the beer belly (YUCK) - at least for me its yuck and not healthy.

OK, I am sick and tired of my toupee, maybe my friends know maybe they don't..I wear a hat most of the time unless going out or to work and put sunglasses on my head. lol  it actually works as a way to help disguise the toupee effect.

OK, I want to get rid of my toupee and buzz my head, I am thinking my head will look a bit like John Stathem.
But I try to think of John Stathem with a beer belly and it does not work - lol

so I thought about making a decision, I will lose the 30lbs and then buzz my head. But I still have not lost the 30lbs, should I re-group with my decision and try it again (have a talk with God and re-committ to the process), or take it off and be so upset about that it will make me work and diet?

Damn, I need advise - lol

I am also recently single, already posted pic of me on a dating site (with hair) - I actually look really good with hair, but I am sick of the maintenance and cost, so I guess what I need to to do is take down my profile on the dating site, get in shape with a new look and then try to date again after I succeed right?

I think I know what you are all going to say, BUT HOW DO I MAKE MYSELF DO IT?

plus all my friends (those who don't know and facebook friends from back east (who I know don't know) will be shocked....

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:07:13 PM by enoughalready »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I am scared to lose the toupee (HCM) I have question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Ditch the rug, and post the pic here.
Oh, it's probably a safe assumption that your co-workers know you wear a rug.

On the weight loss thing, only you can make that commitment. Maybe do p90x? Check with BaldRob. He had am amazing transformation.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »
Welcome to SBG!

"I'm too fat", "I'm too skinny", "I'm too tall", "I'm too short", "I'm too pale", "I'm too dark" ...

They're all excuses.

Stop thinking. Start doing.

Just walk into the bathroom. Now. And just do what you obviously want to do.

Right now.

MarshalArtist

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »
I think SlyBear has a point.  There will always be some reason you can come up with to not shave just yet so if you're certain that's what you want to do, then do it.  If you want to lose weight first, then lose the weight first.  If you want to find a new partner first, then do that first.  Do these in the order you think have the highest priority.  Weight loss would positively affect your health.  A romantic partner would help you emotionally.  What would would be positive about cutting your hair the way you want it?  Think on that and we'll help you process.  :)

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
Think of it this way: They already KNOW you wear a rug, I guarantee you that you are fooling nobody. When you go sly, they'll be shocked, for 15 minutes, and then they'll be over it.

PLUS, you're single? PERFECT! Even more of an excuse to do it...right NOW. You can then go and start dating with your newly sly look, and they will have NOTHING to compare it to, and they will REALLY be liking YOU for YOU, not your "Hair".

Go get em' tiger. You can do it, and you will do it!!! And...you will love it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:12:18 PM by Plano »
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
You said that you actually look really good with hair right now, so you should look good with a Jason Statham hair style too.  You may be surprised at how your confidence will get a big boost when you feel better about letting the real you show.

I wouldn't wait for anything... I would lose the hairpiece, post a new pic on the dating site, and go forth as a new man.  The weight is an issue for many people (whatever kind of hairstyle they may have)... and has to be worked on gradually for best results.  Don't put your life on hold waiting to reach a certain weight goal. 

Besides, sly looks good on all types of guys...regardless of weight. 

We are in your corner whatever you decide.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Halloween is coming up.  What better time to become the Bald Pumpkin Head ! :@`  >:D

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
How do you make yourself do it? Simple. You grab the trimmer/clipper, turn it on, take a deep breath and start.

The anticipation is the worst part. Once you take the first swipe, that anxiety drops to nothing. I speak from personal experience. I thought/worried about it for two months before I took the plunge just before turning 51. I never have regretted it.

I posted the picture of my Slyself on Facebook with a notation that I was due for my midlife crisis and it was too late for a perm, so...
The reaction was incredible.

Ditch the rug and the stress, sir. And welcome!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »
I agree with Slybear as well, when making major life changes, it's easy to find excuses to negate the choice. Moving your cheese is a good thing, change is good! Apprehension is normal.  Trust me, shaving your head and owning your glorious baldness is liberating and cool!  It is so popular now that your friends will just think your hip (is that still a word?). And if they don't... F#%€k them!! Honestly, being sly is great! Just wait till your first rain hits the ol' dome, or the first time a strange woman walks up and rubs your head! After you break in your skin to the shaving process (maybe about a month) and you get your routine down... Shaving can be a zen like relaxing experience! And as for weight? Big Daddy here is 305! My wife loves me! She says that my being a big bald man is very "Ger baby" Go for it! Get some good gear and technical tips from here...and do it! You won't regret it!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
I think with a toupee my advice would be do it. I'm sure if you do look like Jason Stratham having a beer belly ain't gonna matter. we'll be interested to see pics, perhaps a before and after

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
I think with a toupee my advice would be do it. I'm sure if you do look like Jason Stratham having a beer belly ain't gonna matter. we'll be interested to see pics, perhaps a before and after

I agree 100% with Slyest.

We haven't heard back from you. I hope you check back in!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
I agree with the rest of the guys. Best thing to do is lose the toupee, buzz it down close and start living and enjoying your life.
The freedom you will feel is amazing!   O0

Offline tofur99

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
hey man,

you grab the clippers, put a #2 on (mentally, seems less intense then a 1 or no guard, at least it helped me take the plunge) and without even hesitating just take a big swipe out of the main part of your hair.  No going back now.  I promise you will feel good about it, you may still be nervous afterward but that feeling of confidence that comes from taking control of the situation will power you through it.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
Sir,

You are absolutely correct in your assumption of what all us "been-there" baldies will say...... Like NIKE say's: "Just Do It!", mate & be done with it. You will be a lot happier as you will lose the "rug" & the low self-worth all at the same time & will own the cool, bald-guy look.

So advice is going to be: (a) get the clippers & run them at their lowest setting - #0 guard or lower over your entire head & get rid of the hair.
(b) get a nice fresh razor, lather up & shave that head nice & smooth.

All the best,

Bilko
BaldBill

Offline Duurti

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »
Concerning the rug. People know. No offense, but you aren't fooling anyone.

Also concerning the rug. Isn't it just a daily reminder? Isn't it a part of the insecurity? Everyday you are placing this thing on your head essentially to hide the real you.

Let it shine brother. Literally!

I too have the ole beer gut going but I don't let that bother me. It's part of who I am right now and I'm working on that. Because I want to. Because I want to feel better about myself and better maintain my health. Not because I'm concerned how other people feel about it. It's none of their concern.

I am also recently single, at 41. I understand how that can affect you and how you feel about yourself. I get it. At this time the most important thing for you to do is get feeling better about yourself. 

In the end you have to do what you feel is right for you. Sly or rug. Belly or slim. If you are comfortable in your own skin that is the most important thing.

But one last note...... the rug isn't you man. Your hair or lack thereof doesn't make you who you are. But at least sly will be all you.