Author Topic: I am scared to lose the toupee (HCM) I have question  (Read 12317 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I am scared to lose the toupee (HCM) I have question
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
Welcome! I don't have anything to add, but I will tell you that it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work out, you can always grow it back to where you were/are.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
From my own personal standpoint, I *loved* buzzing my hair. Especially in the warmer months, it was so easy to maintain and was really an enjoyable "me" time thing...

Now the clippers are getting dusty and the razor shave has taken over, that is also very enjoyable "me" time.

If you do a little soul-searching you'll probably come to realize that it's just hair. If you don't like it, you can grow it back. I think once you realize the joys of a buzzed/shaved head, you'll be really glad you ditched the toupee.

Welcome to SBG!!

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a "plan" and working towards it. That is what I did.

You do whatever gets you through and makes you feel better and good about yourself.

Perhaps the reason that we havnt heard from him since he first posted is because of the attitude that, if you wear a "rug" or hair system, then is looks horrendous and everyone is laughing at you..not really self confidence boosting or helpful at all is it?

Yes, granted, some look crap, but a vast majority dont, so ease up on the "Dead Rat" quibs guys huh?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re:
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
I just read through all the responses and if there were any "dead rat" quibs, I missed them. On the contrary, I think everyone was positive and respectful and genuinely tried to help. Why we haven't heard back from the OP is anybody&is guess. Maybe he just isn't ready yet to take the plunge.

Offline enoughalready

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, sorry I didn't get  chance to respond, I went to the DaliLama for advice and guess what he what? he was bald as well!

Well I am still in the same hairy position I was several months ago..with one big difference. I'm going to do it! Not because I'm brave or anything, but because my system has ripped and I'm not going to get another one.

I'll be honest, I'm freaked out about doing it, I thought I would get in shape first, well that's a load of crap, I think I gained 2 pounds. So .....Monday is the big day!

Going to call some friends over the weekend and tell them, then going to tan (moderation) my head, maybe look for a cool hat, and I'm going John Stathem style. I'm prepared to hate it for 30 days, (maybe weep) I think maybe it will motivate me enough to get my fat butt in shape. I don't know why but I have this mindset that if you're going to be buzzed (shaved) you should be tan and somewhat in shape. It's my warped way of thinking, but it may in the long run get me healthier (does that make sense?)

LOL...I'm wigged out by this! Sorry, I start to get corny when I get nervous, I am like Chandler Bing on crack. (friends)

I have read your replies, I appreciate it very much  :)  This is what I think I have learned..

-I'm going to hate it for at least 30 days
-If I hate it that much I can always go back to the bare skin (well you know what I mean - rug)
-I expect to get some razzing and strange looks from friends or acquaintances . I'll deal with it
-After awhile it won't even be a topic or an issue with them.
-I need to own it! and be cool with it.
-I need to find a woman that likes to rub bald/buzzed heads  :@`
-I can use it as motivation to change my style to "bald/buzzed" style  - I need a makeover anyway
-I will love the freedom, and will SAVE money.

The truth is I also expect to look older, for me that's a biggie.  I'm to immature to look 5 yeas older! BUT, I am going to own it, and I thank everyone here for your words.

I will post a before and after pic once the deed is done (and when I calm down or get sober)

I really am freaking out...sorry to ramble, this is almost like therapy for me to vent.

Thanks guys...

Mike

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
Thanks for checking back in, Mike! Good luck with the deed, and if you have any questions or just need a place to vent, we're always here!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
You are 10 years younger than me, Mike, but when I shaved my head, most friends thought I looked younger. Good luck with your venture.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
Hi Mike:  1st of all welcome to the sly fraternity.  Good luck with "doing the deed".  Kindly keep us posted to your road to slyness.  I can guarantee you one thing that you are going to love it.  Take care.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking back in. 

One thing you said puzzles me.  You said the #1 thing you learned from reading the replies to your original post was that you would hate the shaved head for 30 days.  I think that is something you are adding to the equation.  Most of us would say the complete opposite of that.   There is so much to be gained for you in the first 30 days, I just don't see how you will be able to hate the look.  Yes, it will be different, and it is a bold step... but what will that say about you?  -You are BOLD, that's what.   Just roll with it!  If you will allow yourself to roll with it, the confidence brought about by this bold move will be evident to others.  Don't question yourself, or look back.. just move forward.  A whole new life awaits you! 

be SLY, bro!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Picking up on what Slymyke said, I also wondered why you are expecting to hate it.

My first thought when I read your statement was that you are setting youself up for a bad experience. If you are going to shave, do so because you WANT to do it. Don't do it because you feel forced into it.

Going Sly is a big step. Enjoy the experience.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:55:06 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
Just give the  rug rat to the cats  to play with it looks  so naff on guys

Offline tofur99

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
pics or it didn't happen...   

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
I think with the toupee you're not really fooling anyone.  And even if they don't "know" for sure....those things usually look JUST unreal enough that people will be more prone to paying attention to your head because they're WONDERING "Wow, I wonder if that's a piece?"

Plus...and this is somewhat off topic....I will occasionally watch videos of people shaving their head on youtube (weird, I know...but...sometimes I do it)..and one of the "sidebar" videos had a guy demonstrating his "system"....I've never really seen anyone putting one on or taking one off, so I took a look....and Wow!

What a PITA that appeared to be...the glue/tape....having to adjust it just so...the whole thing looked horrifying to me.

Me?  I have to take about 5 minutes 2-3 times a week and either clipper mine down or "bic" it, depending on my mood.

Boom....done. 

I think you'll be happier just doing it.

Best of luck.

Offline Slick A

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
You're gonna love it.  Let us know how well it suits you.  Sly is where it's at!   O0

Offline euroman

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »
I'm were you are. I have the rug and I'm 50... I have waisted many years thinking about taking it off and go for the clippers and freedom. I'm not sure people know that I'm faking? I have a pretty good system and I learned how to take care of it. But I HATE it!

I got stuck on a great video post about shaving it off.

Enter your email address: