Author Topic: New here, 28 going bald, going to shave my head finally. (long post, sorry!)  (Read 14365 times)

Offline Poozlies

• Sly Guy in Training
Hi all. I found this forum randomly while looking for head shaving clippers! Lurked for a bit and finally decided to sign up and get my life going. I've been starting to bald for the last few years but I just turned 28 and it's finally starting to show. I promised myself if I started balding I would just shave it all off. SO I'm finally ready to get things rolling. The crazy part is I'm hairy as hell all over my body yet my head is losing hair. I don't know a single person hairier than me on their body. It's really ridiculous. Haha. The irony...

Anyways, as far as introductions go, I've been struggling with being self conscious my whole life and confidence in general. Though the last few years I was diagnosed with ADHD and have been taking medication. My confidence is slightly starting to grow and I'm headed in a positive direction in my life after many years of not getting anywhere. Though balding has definitely not helped. Knowing that some women won't even bother to date me or my fear of not getting a good job because of my baldness sound ridiculous, it is thoughts I've had. I've started eating healthier and even working out recently too to make this transition better for me.

Well anyways, I'm finally here to get it done and get my life into full gear, so I had a few intro questions if you guys don't mind? (i'll number them for easier answering)

1) After lurking and finding the topic on best clippers I  was looking at the Wahl Professional 8110 5-star Series Balding Clipper (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18FRQ10H357K&coliid=I2WJFIUK3D9WNN) and kept reading about how it's too sharp and seems to really cut a lot of people. Even in Youtube reviews. Is this a recommended clipper for shaving as close to bald as possible? And is the reason people are complaining about getting nicked because of the sensitive skin/new shaven/doing it wrong?

2) As I mentioned I'm hairy. As hairy as can be, slightly less than wolf man status. So with that, my head hair is basically connected to my back hair through the neck. When I shave my head I'm going to have to shave my neck and neckline behind me as well, so I was wondering if there were any tips particular to that aspect of my head?

3) I live in southern California and it's sunny 360 days out of the year. My concern is protecting my head. As I can remember I've never been able to really stand hats. They always have felt too constricting. So what are my options regarding protection in a realistic sense? Is it mainly going broke from buckets of sunscreen? Or will it come down to just sucking it up and just using a hat? Any tips I could be pointed to would be appreciated. I know you guys have a part of the forum for Protections and I will be lurking that but thought I would try to throw this here as well.

4) It seems as if shaving with a razor is the best option to keep as smooth. I just recently got into DE shaving and I'm still learning with my face. What steps should I be looking at to make the transition to my head for that? Or is it even recommended? my facial hair is pretty coarse (middle eastern mom & dad) so I've been having a hard time getting a nice lather to cut. Will my head hair have the same problem until I get the method down? I pretty much used a Mach 3 razor with Aveeno shaving cream fore the last 5 years but those blades are just so expensive to continue, especially now since I'll be doing head shaving. (hence my interest in close shaving electric clippers)

5) anything else I need to know that I should be pointed towards? thank you!

As my friends say I'm probably making this balding thing more ridiculous than it actually is, but thank you for even having this forum exist. My heart pounded with excitement knowing there were others that wouldn't judge too much. :)

P.S. I'm sitting here at my computer considering calling out of work tomorrow to just get it all over with that shave it off. Don't have work until sunday!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome to the forum! There is no such thing as a "long post", the purpose of a forum is to meet people and share experiences. That said, looks like you are starting to turn things around a bit. If you walk around confident, and sure of yourself, no one is going to care how much hair you have on your head. Many of us here are sly due to hair loss at various ages, and we still live full lives, and have families, jobs and social lives...and you can do the same. Thanks for joining, participate often, and post a pic when/if you can!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Glad you are here, Poozlies.

I used to joke that my hair did not fall out. It just migrated south on me. I shave my neck daily down to where the neck joins the shoulders. That is one of the reasons I stuck with the Fusion I used before I went smooth as I already knew how to manipulate it. The real "trick" is to keep feeling the area with your other hand to check the stubble.

As far as hats go, you are going to need something to cover your head even if you decide not to shave it. I speak from experience. Sunburns on your scalp are not fun. I started using a bandanna or do-rag long before I shaved because I found them to be  the least restrictive coverings, and they are great for absorbing sweat.

There is a little bottle of pre-shave oil Sir Harry turned me on to called Shave Secret (WalMart carries it) that really does an outstanding job of cutting down on friction and irritation when you shave. I also recommend strongly that you use a balm on your scalp after shaving for at least the first few weeks as your skin up there is going to be very sensitive when you start.

And you are correct. Tyler did us a great favor when he started this board. Welcome!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
For a more accurate look at the Wahl Balding Clippers, got to Amazon.com and read the reviews there. I have one, like it, use it-for touch downs when I am too short on time for a full shave-use it to trim my 'stache, you could acquire some guides and shorten the fur on your body if you so desired.

And, as has been said, there's no such thing as a "long post". We're all here to say what's on our minds and, partciularly when you're considering a major step such as shaving your head, why not go to the guys who've been there and doing that?

I lived in La Jolla for a period of time and...I don't remember 360 days of sunshine. Ditto the five years-including Grad school-I spent at USC, lived on N. Rossmore, again, I must have missed the years that contributed to the 360 sunny days. Although I've a bro who's in a Federal Penitentiary in Adelanco and he says it's virtually always sunny....I guess what I should have done was go to prison and saved all that money at USC....

I'm now an old man, have been shaving my head for 15 years. most of the people I routinely now see have never seen me with hair on my head and would be shocked if I let it grow back. For that, so would I. I 've no idea how much I've still got or what colour it might be.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Welcome to the forum Poolzies!! Glad you could join us.

As far as the clippers go, I used the Oster Turbo 111 with a #00000 but I don't use it much since I went to daily shaving with a razor. Unlike you I am pretty barren of hair all over, but it seems to grow where I don't want it like mad.

I've found a pre-shave oil seems to help, although I generally go hot water then shaving soap and brush, then shave, then rub down with ice cube (lotion after).

I would HIGHLY suggest a brush. They aren't too expensive and with simple care they will last a LONG time. I love mine, I use it with EVERY shave now.

You might want to shave with the grain if you go shorter than the zero guard on the clippers. It will help reduce some of the irritation you might have (the skin can be pretty sensitive at the outset of shaving). Even if you just clip it extremely short, it's a good idea to invest in something to moisten and soothe the scalp.

You can try Oil of Olay which is an SPF15 lotion. I used to use it when I previously sly and with really short hair over and over if I was going to be outdoors for a while. I know HeadBlade makes an SPF30 sunscreen as well. I do like hats - but my skin is fair and prone to burning very easily so I have to be ultra-careful outside when it is sunny out.

No worries on the long post, it's great to read others questions and experiences. Tyler did us all a HUGE favor setting up this forum, it's been a real boost to my self-confidence as well. It's nice to see more and more people, both here and in day-to-day life sporting the smooth look. It's eye-catching.

Hope to see you around the forum, everyone who participates makes the whole experience that much better!

Offline Poozlies

• Sly Guy in Training
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys! I'm about to go get my hair shaved off as much as they can via barber then come home and razor it. I'll see if I can post before and after pics when I'm done! :)

Offline Poozlies

• Sly Guy in Training
So I did it guys, went to a barber and she shaved it at 0 with an electric then she offered to even shave with a razor all the way. So I'm completely bald now. I'll try to get a photo up soon!

Quick question: So after I shave I should put some shaving balm on right? and what about sunscreen? mix it with that as well? or is it more of a one or another thing? thanks!

Offline jarheadj

• Sly Jr.
Congrats on taking the leap and going sly!!! I was going to recommend some barbers here in SoCal that straight razor shave but you beat me to the punch:-) I'd go with sunscreen if you're going to be outside for any period of time, at least for a few weeks until your scalp adjusts. After that, it'll be no more sensitive than the rest of your skin (at least in my experience).  I agree Mach 3s are expensive but have found that if you buy in bulk at Sams, they cost about 25% less than anywhere else. I get about a week/week and a half out of one blade Again, great move on your part!!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Multiple congratulations to you, sir! You certainly do not waste time once you decide to do something.

Doesn't it feel great?

The sunscreen probably will fulfill the job of the balm.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
Welcome to SBG !

There is no such think as a long post when you took the first step to talk about this important premature male pattern balding issue !

Post the before and after pics if you wish and congrats !

Offline Poozlies

• Sly Guy in Training
So here are some pics from today. The before picture was from a few months ago and it doesn't look that bad in there but in sunlight and bright rooms you could definitely see the balding and the back of my head was pretty much empty weird bald spot.

So far so good, I need to go out and be under the sun tomorrow for some color up there. I discovered I have two scars on one side of my head from when I was little I forgot about. They're about an inch long but I don't think it should be a big deal. The lady that shaved my head said she was grateful I didn't have a weird sized head haha. I put on some Dove for men post shave balm to cool my head off a bit and purchases sun screen with that shave secret oil you guys recommended. I did buy a hat today as well.  Though I took a shower and afterwards my head was extremely dry and flaky, is that normal? And since I don't use shampoo anymore what do most people use to wash the head?

But thank you guys for your kind words and advice. I feel like I'll be sticking on here for a while since I'm going to be probably learning new stuff about my head. Going to try shaving it tomorrow with a razor blade see how that goes and if I have any difficulty.

Sorry about the filter on the last picture, I just thought it looked cool and wanted to see how I looked with sunglasses.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Wow. What a difference - and in a good way!

You look great, sir.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Congrats, man! It looks great, and the goatee and glasses are a nice touch! I also read through your original post and saw that you were asking about DE shaving on the head. I shave with a DE on my off days and it does a very solid job. If you go that route for your head, the razors themselves are cheap, but the handles can be expensive. Here are a few things to invest in if you shave your head with a DE:

1. A shaving brush
2. Witch Hazel
3. Exfoliant (skin cleanser will do)
4. Shave Secret (sold at WalMart)

Another good thing to do after your shave is to rub an ice cube on your head after shaving-cools and closes your pores to prevent razor bumps. Check out the Safety Razor section of the forum for more tips....Good luck and thanks for the photos!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Poozlies

• Sly Guy in Training
Wow. What a difference - and in a good way!

You look great, sir.

thank you! I was worried it would look weird at first but I think it looks pretty ok. I guess have a goatee helps haha.

Congrats, man! It looks great, and the goatee and glasses are a nice touch! I also read through your original post and saw that you were asking about DE shaving on the head. I shave with a DE on my off days and it does a very solid job. If you go that route for your head, the razors themselves are cheap, but the handles can be expensive. Here are a few things to invest in if you shave your head with a DE:

1. A shaving brush
2. Witch Hazel
3. Exfoliant (skin cleanser will do)
4. Shave Secret (sold at WalMart)

Another good thing to do after your shave is to rub an ice cube on your head after shaving-cools and closes your pores to prevent razor bumps. Check out the Safety Razor section of the forum for more tips....Good luck and thanks for the photos!

Thanks! and yes, I actually already bought a DE razor and blades, but I'm still learning how to get normal shave with them just on my face. Still in the trying to get a decent lather and shave without cutting myself phase. I already bought some Shave secret and I'll look into a good exfoliant and get some witch hazel too! I'll be definitely checking out that sub forum once I get a little better at just shaving with it. Thanks for all the advice!

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
You Rock The Sly Look + Goatee !  O:O